[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

Is it certain? The first Tully fought alongside Tristifer IV, but he could have been an Andal adventurer. The way he went to the Vance Lord implies some connection

I'm guessing after the death of Tristifer IV many lords went over to the Andals since Tristifer V was weak. But yes it could be that the Tullys were Andals in service of the Hammer of Justice.

No? The Blackwoods were kings during the Age of Heroes and rivals of the Brackens. The Wolfswood appears to have been Stark for a long time.

That probably means they got kicked out during the age of heroes

"Amongst the houses reduced from royals to vassals we can count the Flints of Breakstone Hill, the Slates of Blackpool, the Umbers of Last Hearth, the Lockes of Oldcastle, the Glovers of Deepwood Motte, the Fishers of the Stony Shore, the Ryders of the Rills . . . and mayhaps even the Blackwoods of Raventree, whose own family traditions insist they once ruled most of the wolfswood before being driven from their lands by the Kings of Winter (certain runic records support this claim, if Maester Barneby’s translations can be trusted)."

That probably means they got kicked out during the age of heroes

"Amongst the houses reduced from royals to vassals we can count the Flints of Breakstone Hill, the Slates of Blackpool, the Umbers of Last Hearth, the Lockes of Oldcastle, the Glovers of Deepwood Motte, the Fishers of the Stony Shore, the Ryders of the Rills . . . and mayhaps even the Blackwoods of Raventree, whose own family traditions insist they once ruled most of the wolfswood before being driven from their lands by the Kings of Winter (certain runic records support this claim, if Maester Barnebys translations can be trusted)."

The forest is probably dark and haunting, hence Blackwood. :)

This Blackwood heritage is a bomb indeed! In the world of GRRM's simplified genetics that makes Dany practically the same as Bloodraven! And given how Blackwoods were originally from the North, it gives a whole new aspect to the "song of ice and fire", heh.

It might also explain Dany's instant connection with her silver horse. Given that she has always been healthy and not really in position to adopt/own animals, it is possible that she has skinchanger potential that never had a chance to develop previously. After all, let's not forget that neither Robb nor Jon developed any skinchanging until they got their pups, _despite_ constant contact with horses and hounds typical for the noble boys.

Interesting, I did not think of that. But it was a pretty remarkable thing - she had been an okay rider and then suddenly she's a pro jumping fire.

The forest is probably dark and haunting, hence Blackwood. :)

Hehe - funny...:D

This Blackwood heritage is a bomb indeed! In the world of GRRM's simplified genetics that makes Dany practically the same as Bloodraven! And given how Blackwoods were originally from the North, it gives a whole new aspect to the "song of ice and fire", heh.

It might also explain Dany's instant connection with her silver horse. Given that she has always been healthy and not really in position to adopt/own animals, it is possible that she has skinchanger potential that never had a chance to develop previously. After all, let's not forget that neither Robb nor Jon developed any skinchanging until they got their pups, _despite_ constant contact with horses and hounds typical for the noble boys.

Remember this little nugget pointed out by Parwan in the reread:

From AGOT Daenerys I

[Viserys to Dany]: “Illyrio will send the slaves to bathe you. Be sure you wash off the stink of the stables. Khal Drogo has a thousand horses, tonight he looks for a different sort of mount.”

From AGOT Daenerys II

Drogo stepped forward and put his hands on her waist. He lifted her up as easily as if she were a child and set her on the thin Dothraki saddle, so much smaller than the ones she was used to. Dany sat there uncertain for a moment. No one had told her about this part. “What should I do?” she asked Illyrio.

It was Ser Jorah Mormont who answered. “Take the reins and ride. You need not go far.”
Nervously Dany gathered the reins in her hands and slid her feet into the short stirrups. She was only a fair rider; she had spent far more time traveling by ship and wagon and palanquin than by horseback. Praying that she would not fall off and disgrace herself, she gave the filly the lightest and most timid touch with her knees.
And for the first time in hours, she forgot to be afraid. Or perhaps it was for the first time ever.
Parwan phrased it far more eloquently than I will, unfortunately. But the crux of it all is that when we are first introduced to her, Dany has the "smell" of horses. But we later learn that she is not as comfortable with horses as someone like Arya might be. So it's not exactly logical that she spend enough time in stables to the point of smelling like them. However, when she is given her silver, there seems to be an almost magical transformation. The slightest shift from her is sufficient to command the horse. Also, to my admittedly limited knowledge, animals sense and abhor fear [of a rider...as I think is the case with dragons]. But this was not the case with Dany and her silver. In the brief time between their first meeting and first touch, these two seem to achieve a familiarity I suspect takes a substantially longer time to achieve between a human and a rider. Here is more from the passage:
The silver-grey filly moved with a smooth and silken gait, and the crowd parted for her, every eye upon them. Dany found herself moving faster than she had intended, yet somehow it was exciting rather than terrifying. The horse broke into a trot, and she smiled. Dothraki scrambled to clear a path. The slightest pressure with her legs, the lightest touch on the reins, and the filly responded. She sent it into a gallop, and now the Dothraki were hooting and laughing and shouting at her as they jumped out of her way. As she turned to ride back, a firepit loomed ahead, directly in her path. They were hemmed in on either side, with no room to stop. A daring she had never known filled Daenerys then, and she gave the filly her head.
The silver horse leapt the flames as if she had wings.
When she pulled up before Magister Illyrio, she said, “Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind.” The fat Pentoshi stroked his yellow beard as he repeated her words in Dothraki, and Dany saw her new husband smile for the first time.
I was ninja'd :ninja:

I was ninja'd :ninja:

Thank you for providing the relevant quotes. :cheers:

Besides BR, who are the known skinchangers of house Blackwood?

I don't know of any other but we don't have all the information.

Wasn't Rhae and Daella supposed to be married? In the wiki it seems also they had descendants: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rhae_Targaryen

Yes, that was mentioned in Feast. Though they aren't listed in the tree, a possibility for one of the two would be House Tarth, who has been said to have intermarried with House Targaryen recently..

Archived