[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

No but you don't pass on all the genes from all your ancestors through the generations. Things get dropped.Looking at it simply, here is a Dayne/Targ kids genetic options for something simple like hair:

Say the Dayne Wife has the Dayne Silver gene from their father and a brown hair gene from their mother.

And the Targ has both Targ White hair genes because they are inbred.

Dayne Silver Dayne Brown

Targ White WS WB

Targ White WS WB

All 4 options have the white hair gene so it is 100% guaranteed to be passed on. There is only 50% chance of getting the 'Dayne' look from the Dayne gene (I concede that the look is very similar!)

That is very simplistic but that is what I am getting at without assuming anything about recessive or dominant in fictional universes.

And we have to remember the fictional genetics in this universe. The Storm Lords all have black hair but Jocelyn marries into the Targs and most of her hair is white, and her children's are white. But the line in Storms End keep the Black hair and blue eyes. Why don't the Targs get the famous Black hair?

My point is that very little would have gotten "dropped" when there are two straight intermarriages between brothers ans sisters. And as you mentioned, genetics in universe are not really comparable with real life.

Ah I see! So my beautiful crackpot is broken to pieces. :crying:

Much like what Walder did to Robb, except the holy custom thing. :leaving:

Could he have done it on purpose because he knew Aegon would pardon him and send him to the Wall?

I don't want to let go of this theory yet. :crying:

She dreams that the dragons are "coming" to eat her. That could simply be a misinterpretation by a child who is scared of scary-looking dragons. I've always taken this as a prophetic dragon dream that she will "meet" dragons, that is Targaryens or people with Targaryen blood. She's already met two - Edric Storm and Jon Snow.

But no matter what, I consider it a dragon dream.

If a conflict arises between her and Dany/Jon, then I would reconsider my stance. Mel's work? Then I would say Shireen is like the Tolland girl, prophetic, but not dragon dreams.

Interestingly, both Baratheons and Tollands are connected to Targs.

Uh well genetics aren't that simple, but AryaNymeria has the right of it. Dany is an 8th Blackwood and a 16th Dayne, with the remainder Targ (it isn't worth going much farther back, but she is 32th Martell and a 128th Rogare). Thats a lot of Targ blood, but actually quite a bit of First Men blood as well.

Durrandon mermaid goddess blood and CotF messes up pretty much everything though.

Uh well genetics aren't that simple, but AryaNymeria has the right of it. Dany is an 8th Blackwood and a 16th Dayne, with the remainder Targ (it isn't worth going much farther back, but she is 32th Martell and a 128th Rogare). Thats a lot of Targ blood, but actually quite a bit of First Men blood as well.

Durrandon mermaid goddess blood and CotF messes up pretty much everything though.

Wouldn't she have the same amount of Targaryen blood as Blackwood / First Men? I don't know much about genetics, I admit, but Just going by what was passed on from Maekar onward...

It was said that all of aegons kids married for love

And when did Aegon had more than one girl (the one married for baratheon)

He had three sons and two daughter. And apparently Jaehaerys and Shaera loved each other.

I did say it wasn't that simple but the general idea is what I'm getting at. There is no guarantee that a Dayne grandkid will have any Dayne traits at all unless they have something like the Durrandon super-gene.

It was said that all of aegons kids married for love

And when did Aegon had more than one girl (the one married to baratheon)

He was in love with his sister. He was supposed to marry a Tully girl, and Shaera was meant to marry Luthor Tyrell, but they spurned the two betrothals and got married, and got away with it.

Whom did the third son marry

No one. He was gay.

Incidentally, with Shaera ditching Luthor and Egg's third son Daeron deciding not to marry Olenna, that means Mace's parents' marriage was a union of House Targaryen's sloppy seconds.

I think there is definitely something about Blackwood ancestry (not that they are necessarily the only ones). I am not sure to what it extent or how often it manifests in Blackwoods in general. But I suspect there may be something that may be triggered or capable of being triggered when it meets with certain ancestries (such as Targaryen, perhaps others). Of course, Targaryen ancestry doesn't enter the equation in the case of Ned's children. So what triggered it in them? I don't know the answers, obviously. It could be totally random. But I suspect there is a science to it on some level (not necessarily something we will be able to deduce with the information we have), where skinchangers or other gifts could perhaps be intentionally bred in much greater numbers if someone in world learned how it worked.

Assuming that Betha and Melantha Blackwood were sisters, which seems likely based on the timeline, that would make Aerys II and Lord Rickard second cousins, and Dany and Ned third cousins.

"It's a small world after all..." :D

Assuming that Betha and Melantha Blackwood were sisters, which seems likely based on the timeline, that would make Aerys II and Lord Rickard second cousins, and Dany and Ned third cousins.

Yeah, without knowing the specifics of the ages of Rickard, Edwyle, etc. when they married and all that, it wouldn't seem to be a stretch that Willem (or is it Willam?) married his Blackwood wife around the same general time that Egg married Betha (which took place in 220 AC).

Archived