[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

I was underestimating Aegon the Conqueror's abilities as a ruler before reading TWOIAF. He's easily one of the greatest Targaryens. Very politically savvy and had a good partnership with his sisters. I don't know what happened to the Targaryens after Jaehaerys I seems the kingship dropped very low.

I think the partnership was key. I think he had the sense not to try and do it all alone. He had his sisters and also a small number of others. The people he trusted most also seem to have all been different so he would have gotten lots of different types of opinions and on thing and used that to his advantage to find the best solution.

Yeah, without knowing the specifics of the ages of Rickard, Edwyle, etc. when they married and all that, it wouldn't seem to be a stretch that Willem (or is it Willam?) married his Blackwood wife around the same general time that Egg married Betha (which took place in 220 AC).

I believe it's Willam. He died in 226 AC at the Battle of Long Lake, so Edwyle obviously could not have been born later than that, whilst Rickard was presumably born at some point in the 230s-240s.

Actually, the fourth Dunk & Egg story is about a succession struggle powered by the "She-Wolves", right? That would suggest Willam was still fairly young.

Ser Jeremy Norridge and Daeron Targaryen 4eva. Olenna has dealt with gays before Loras and Renly it would seem.

apparently what Olenna said wasn't quite true. It was Daeron who refused to marry her, not the other way around. I always suspected that Olenna was hiding facts from her betrothal to the prince.

apparently what Olenna said wasn't quite true. It was Daeron who refused to marry her, not the other way around. I always suspected that Olenna was hiding facts from her betrothal to the prince.

I'd say perhaps she was hiding them to protect Loras. Even though the Targs aren't related to the Tyrells, it'd be an association she would try to avoid.

However it was stated that all of Aegon's kids married, so who did Daeron marry? I sure hopes its Jeremy.

Could somebody tell about the marriages of 3 maids in the tower and Eggs sisters

Rhaena became a septa, and never married. Daena didn't marry either for all we know, but was Aegon the Unworthy's lover. Eleana married

first Ossifer Plumm, then Ronnel Penrose and then Micheal Manwoody

We don't know who Rhae and Daella married.

I'd say perhaps she was hiding them to protect Loras. Even though the Targs aren't related to the Tyrells, it'd be an association she would try to avoid.

However it was stated that all of Aegon's kids married, so who did Daeron marry? I sure hopes its Jeremy.

Don't think so. She was trying to say that she was so cool and smart and so on. It was all about her not anyone else.

It seems to me that she was bitter about it.

I think that it was in SOS when she mentioned the betrothal and she emphasized that it was her who wanted to end it.

While I agree that it is possible for her to want to protect Loras (Jaime for example directly confronts him about Renly),

I think that it was a matter of pride for her.

A highborn lady from the Reach marrying a Targaryen Prince-it has hapenned before. Perhaps she was like Cersei, dreaming of marrying a dragonlord but Daeron ruined her dream.

As for Barristan, in DWD he specifically said that Aegon's children had wed for love. Who knows? Perhaps Barristan used the word wed to imply that Daeron refused Olenna and chose Jeremy to be his companion.

Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna and thousands died for it. Daemon Blackfyre loved the first Daenerys, and rose in rebellion when denied her. Bittersteel and Bloodraven both loved Shiera Seastar and the Seven Kingdoms bled. The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies when he might have made fast friends.

I found the little postscripts to the Dance of the Dragons suggested in the Targaryen family tree quite interesting:

- As a lot of people had speculated/guessed, Baela married her supposed cousin/probable uncle Lord Alyn Velaryon. Since she was apparently still around in the reign of Aegon IV, when Alyn took up with Baela's niece Elaena, she's got at least another 40 years of life ahead of her, and is presumably mother to the modern-day House Velaryon.

- Rhaena married one of Aegon III's regents, Ser Corwyn Corbray, but after his death in 134 AC, she married one Garmund Hightower (!!!) and had six daughters. Was he one of Ormund's sons, perhaps the new Lord Hightower?

I asked about that in another thread. Here's Ran's response

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119534-twoiaf-spoilers-inconsistency-or-intentional/#entry6391443

When contemplating his history I don't think Barristan would make offhand comments, he would probably think about it properly.

Danelle has the most info written above. Barristan knows his history, so I'd say Daeron married or ran off with another. If the Faith wouldn't do homosexual marriage maybe some other religion would, and that where he went. Or he could have married a girl, and that way Olenna would still lose her betrothal.

- Rhaena married one of Aegon III's regents, Ser Corwyn Corbray, but after his death in 134 AC, she married one Garmund Hightower (!!!) and had six daughters. Was he one of Ormund's sons, perhaps the new Lord Hightower?

Assuming these Hightower/Targaryen daughters all married someone, this means that could be other houses with targ blood, maybe in the Reach.

When contemplating his history I don't think Barristan would make offhand comments, he would probably think about it properly.

Danelle has the most info written above. Barristan knows his history, so I'd say Daeron married or ran off with another. If the Faith wouldn't do homosexual marriage maybe some other religion would, and that where he went. Or he could have married a girl, and that way Olenna would still lose her betrothal.

I would say that this is something what GRRM changed. I think maybe first all Egg's children was supposed to be married but changed his mind and forget that Selmy said that all were married.

Archived