[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

I know I shouldn't take the wiki as gospel, but it says:

Although married, Daeron died without issue and was succeeded by his brother, Baelor the Blessed. In the city of Oldtown, there is a statue of King Daeron I astride a tall stone horse, his sword lifted toward Dorne.

Should someone fix that know or has the World of Ice and Fire make that fact irrelevant

Yes, that is from an SSM from the past (SSMs are semi-canon). And indeed it should be fixed.

Just read the top line on every wiki page ;)

No fixing stuff for another month

Prince Duncan was betrothed to a daughter of the Laughing Storm. Duncan's marriage to Jenny led to a bloody rebellion.

Jaehaerys was betrothed to Celia Tully, and Shaera to Luthor Tyrell. Their marriage causes unspecified trouble, too.

Daeron to Olenna Redwyne. I daresay Tyrell ambition to marry into the royal family is not some fancy idea Mace just had one morning...

Olenna-Luthor marriage was extremely dangerous and it was proven in Robert's Rebellion. They could have saved the Targaryen dynasty but did nothing. I am also thinking about the private Redwyne stock in Illyrio's house and the boy clothes given to Tyrion bearing Redwyne colors.

Either a sister of Hoster's father or his mother. I'd like the idea that there was Ruling Lady of Riverrun prior to Hoster. She is confirmed to be the daughter of the Lord of Riverrun. That would have been Hoster's grandfather, I presume.

The Tyrells and Tullys were pissed back then, and Egg had to deal with immediate fallout. Whatever Mace and Paxter did later on does not figure into that. Although the Blackfyre is sort of dead now. The Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion occurred before the betrothals, and there is no hint that the Redwynes backed Maelys later on.

All of Megette's children are given to the Faith. She is returned to her husband, a blacksmith, by Viserys, and the man beats her to death within a year.

Yea, I am kind of surprised that Elio and Linda came to like Viserys II so much, when his handling of Aegon IV's affairs and marriage was both stupid and cruel. Falena Stockworth, I can sort of understand. She was sufficiently noble that Aegon might have married her. Though, would it have really been so bad, given that Aegon III had 2 healthy sons? But anyway.

But marrying Aegon and Naerys when they loathed each other was cruel and eventually stupid, IMHO. Who but a totally selfish dick would do that to their own daughter on purpose? I mean, did Viserys even gain anything significant by this act of cruelty? Surely, another appropriate marriage could have been found for Aegon, and he might even have liked another wife more.

And then this Megette thing. I mean, maesters have warned Naerys that another pregnancy was likely to kill her, she loathed her husband, and Megette was a commoner. Neither she nor her children could have been a threat to succession. So, why on earth did Viserys break that up?! And if, for some reason, he felt that he had to, why didn't he just give Megette money and ship her somewhere far away with her girls? It isn't like Aegon was actually loyal to his squeezes or children. Why take the girls away, why forcibly return Megette to her husband? That was vicious and unnecessary.

The fate of Bloodraven's sisters would interesting indeed...

Yes, indeed. Being legitimized and BR's sisters they could have had some interesting opportunities, I imagine. I wish that we had gotten more info about interesting women in TWOIF in general.

Daeron to Olenna Redwyne. I daresay Tyrell ambition to marry into the royal family is not some fancy idea Mace just had one morning...

Not to mention, that Mace's children might be descendants of Lady Rhaena through the Hightowers. Jorah telling Dany that Lynesse "looked a bit like her" makes me think that it is likely that despite all Rhaena's children being daughters, the current Hightowers might be her descendants. And, of course, Lord Leyton Hightower appears to be heavily into magic.

Oh, and that Baelor Breakspear - Jena Dondarrion marriage appears to be rather random and counter-productive, given that his non-Targ appearance was already a hindrance that played into Blackfyre PR.

None of Elaena's children marrying back into the royal line is also very odd and unexpected, IMHO, as it would have helped to shore up their position versus Daemon from the point of view of blood purity, etc. as well as given them a stronger tie to the Stormlands.

Well, Walder could have omitted the girl, or counted there in. He would not be particularly eager to admit to Cat that he once swear fealty to a Lady Tully, or would he?

But I guess you could be right on that one.

Maia,

it is stated that Viserys was charming and a charismatic fellow, but after Larra left him and the children and returned to Lys he changed. It seems that he loved his children and wanted to set Aegon to rights. Again and again and again.

As to the marriage department: I imagine that went like that. 'Your mother left me, but you will do as I command. Understood!'

Considering that Viserys was a driving force behind the Nine Mages attempt to resurrect the dragons, we should also consider the possibility that Viserys felt the incest has to continue if the Targaryens wanted to retain any hope to get their dragons back.

Not to mention the fact that Aegon III was not particularly eager to father any children to continue the line throughout most of his reign.

Yea, there seems to be a disappointing dearth of ruling ladies. I would have expected that with the whole "daughter before uncle and more distant male relatives" law being generally applicable, we would have seen more of them.

Yandel is somewhat of a misogynist. He downplays the role of women throughout the whole book, and mentions the Gardener queen only in passing - surely that one would have been a very interesting figure. With Dorne, women get a certain 'exotic flair' - 'things are different there', and all.

And then this Megette thing. I mean, maesters have warned Naerys that another pregnancy was likely to kill her, she loathed her husband, and Megette was a commoner. Neither she nor her children could have been a threat to succession. So, why on earth did Viserys break that up?!

From the descriptions of it, e.g., fake marriage ceremonies, playing house, I imagine he thought the whole thing was an embarassment for the royal family.

Oh, and that Baelor Breakspear - Jena Dondarrion marriage appears to be rather random and counter-productive, given that his non-Targ appearance was already a hindrance that played into Blackfyre PR.

On the contrary. We're told that "knights and lords of the Dornish Marches came to mistrust Daeron, and Baelor as well"; marrying Baelor to a Dondarrion is a pretty obvious attempt to pacify that consistuency. He also married Maekar to a Dayne, in what seems like a gesture to the other side of the Marches.

None of Elaena's children marrying back into the royal line is also very odd and unexpected, IMHO, as it would have helped to shore up their position versus Daemon from the point of view of blood purity, etc. as well as given them a stronger tie to the Stormlands.

The Dondarrions are just as strong a tie to the Stormlands as the Penroses, if not moreso, since they seem to be a more powerful house. And the issue with the dispute with Daemon wasn't blood purity, since his rumoured real father was the Dragonknight.

It's hinted at that Daeron had as Prince allies and friends among the Marcher Lords, explaining how the Baelor match occurred. Aegon wanted to destroy his support with his Dornish Conquest idea.

As to Dyanna: I'd not be surprised if that was a love match, too. Maekar has pockmarks, if I remember correctly, which could be a hint that his wife also caught the illness and did not survive. Maekar also never remarries, as far as we know, that could be a hint, too.

I'd say Maekar and Baelor were married prior to the Rebellion, and Rhaegel/Aerys afterwards. The Arryns really stood out for the Targaryens in the war.

I'd say Maekar and Baelor were married prior to the Rebellion, and Rhaegel/Aerys afterwards. The Arryns really stood out for the Targaryens in the war.

I don't think there's any particular reason to think that Rhaegal was only married after Maekar. Alys Arryn (presumably Lord Donnel's daughter or sister) being married to Rhaegal could just as easily have been part of what spurred their loyalty, rather than a reward for it.

Finally got my copy yesterday.

Glad to see that, buried in the discussions of the individual Targ rulers, we finally find out the fate of Prince Maelor during the Dance of Dragons, as well as Arryk vs Erryk.

It just occurred to me that if Melantha and Betha Blackwood had been sisters, then Aerys and Rickard Stark were second cousins by conventional count, but given incest maybe even more closely related by blood. Which means that Aerys was a kinslayer...

Also, he has gone out of his way to alienate his Blackwood cousins by over-turning Tywin's adjudication in their favor. Interesting stuff.

Archived