[TWOIAF Spoilers] Discussions of TWOIAF

So what new information did people find interesting in reading of TWOIAF?

I liked finding out more about the Dance of Dragons, King Trystane apparently took the Red Keep. The Winter Wolves appear to have been on a suicide mission. Kermit Tully defeating Boros Baratheon. Cregan Stark's reign as Hand :)

There was some good info about the Starks - Pretty clear that the Starks weren't too happy with their Targ overlords for a long time. We have -

1. Torrhen's sons openly plotting rebellion(or at least talking about it)

2. Rhaenys forcing Torrhen's daughter into a marriage her family did not want - Seems like the Starks resisted marrying Andals or southrons - this makes Rickard's southron ambitions even more peculiar.

3. Jaehaerys I forcing Ellard Stark into giving up his land to the NW

4. Cregan Stark not getting the Targ Princess he was promised in the pact of ice and fire - I'm thinking this is why he fought Aemon the dragonknight (like Lyonel fought Duncan the Tall when the marriage promised to the Baratheons did not take place)

4. Cregan Stark not getting the Targ Princess he was promised in the pact of ice and fire - I'm thinking this is why he fought Aemon the dragonknight (like Lyonel fought Duncan the Tall when the marriage promised to the Baratheons did not take place)

But the Dragonknight wasn't born for about 10 years after the Dance, that would make this duel at least 25 years later, why would he wait so long to claim a wife

The Five Forts, fortress in Oldtown, Seastone Chair, ruins of Yeen, Asshai... they are all black with a mysterious past.

What about Old Ones residing beneath the subterrean ruined cities of Leng?

Mazes! Gods be good, mazes! Lots of mazes. Mazes in Lorath, mazes in Leng and mazes in that fortress.

Shapenchangers and demon hunters in Mossovy? Wtf? What is a shapechanger? How? :S

What do you mean by a demon hunter GRRM?

Most of the stuff about the Dance. Also the Pig, Rat and Hawk rebellions, and Stormlands rebellion.

Most interesting is that Casella Vaith, one of Aegon the Unworthy's lovers went mad after he abandoned her, and she is now the Lady Vaith Dunk and and Egg meet in Dorne.

Omg. Didn't notice this. I assumed madness was running in House Vaith too because we have met 2 mad Vaith ladies. lol. So they are the same person o.o

There was some good info about the Starks - Pretty clear that the Starks weren't too happy with their Targ overlords for a long time. We have -

That would have taken a long time to settle that dispute.

I liked the info about the Westerlands, the Vale of Arryn, Valyria... Perhaps I'm too hungry, but the North section was a bit of letdown. It was very generic in its themes

But the Dragonknight wasn't born for about 10 years after the Dance, that would make this duel at least 25 years later, why would he wait so long to claim a wife

But then why fight? Cregan is supposed to be loyal to the Targs (But then so was Lyonel).

Also, I really liked the tidbit about the Burned Men starting to burn themselves as a test of courage, after the Painted Dogs started to worship a fire priestess, "after the Dance of the Dragons". I bet it was Nettles and Sheepstealer, and the Burned Men were daring the dragon during their clan feuds.

I want to spoil myself, I dont care. Who won between dunk and the l storm?

Duncan I presume

PS - found the quote - definitely Duncan.

The father of the spurned girl, Lord Lyonel Baratheon of Storm’s End, known as the Laughing Storm and famed for his prowess in battle,

was not a man easily appeased when his pride was wounded. A short, bloody rebellion ensued, ending only when Ser Duncan of the Kingsguard defeated Lord Lyonel in single combat, and King Aegon gave his solemn word that his youngest daughter, Rhaelle, would wed Lord Lyonel’s heir.

Archived