[TWOIAF Spoilers] Discussions of TWOIAF

Well yeah. Duels don't mean death. Even trial by combats aren't to the death. If one combatant yields, he loses.

In all of Dunks duels (Aerion and Lucas Inchfield) he wins but does not kill them (Lucas drowned, Dunk didn't kill him as such), so I don't see why the trend couldn't continue.

I want to spoil myself, I dont care. Who won between dunk and the l storm?

Duncan the Small was betrothed to Lyonel Baratheon's daughter. He broke that betrothal to marry Jenny of Oldstones. Duncan's abdication as heir wasn't enough; Lyonel rebelled. (a short but bloody rebellion) Settled by duel between Dunk and Lyonel. Dunk won, Lyonel survived. Rhaelle was betrothed to Lyonel's son Ormund to make up for it. She was sent to Storm's End to act as cupbearer, and probably to make sure this betrothal went through.

Well yeah. Duels don't mean death. Even trial by combats aren't to the death. If one combatant yields, he loses.

In all of Dunks duels (Aerion and Lucas Inchfield) he wins but does not kill them (Lucas drowned, Dunk didn't kill him as such), so I don't see why the trend couldn't continue.

yep, you are right. But the few we saw in ASOIF ended up with dead people (egen and the mountain), that was why I asked

It's never stated that Dunk won the duel against the Laughing Storm, or am I wrong? Given Aegon's concessions following Lyonel Baratheon's rebellion, he could well have won that duel

A short, bloody rebellion ensued, ending only when Ser Duncan of the Kingsguard defeated Lord Lyonel in single combat

Sounds like he won to me :)

This part was also very interesting

The wealth of the westerlands was matched, in ancient times, with the hunger of the Freehold of Valyria for precious metals, yet there seems no evidence that the dragonlords ever made contact with the lords of the Rock, Casterly or Lannister. Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold’s sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them. Archmaester Perestan has put forward a different, more plausible speculation, suggesting that the Valyrians had in ancient days reached as far as Oldtown but suffered some great reverse or tragedy there that caused them to shun all of Westeros thereafter.

The wealth of the westerlands was matched, in ancient times, with the hunger of the Freehold of Valyria for precious metals, yet there seems no evidence that the dragonlords ever made contact with the lords of the Rock, Casterly or Lannister. Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freeholds sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them. Archmaester Perestan has put forward a different, more plausible speculation, suggesting that the Valyrians had in ancient days reached as far as Oldtown but suffered some great reverse or tragedy there that caused them to shun all of Westeros thereafter.

Septon Barth... One page of his writing, seriously, all I need.

Septon Barth... One page of his writing, seriously, all I need.

Yandel quite often brings up some tidbit from Barth, only to disparage it. Is Yandel really that critical of Barth, or is this a stealth method of bringing some of Barth's opinions back to public knowledge?

I found it interesting that Jaehaerys II ran off with his sister, married her in secret and stayed hidden until they had consummated the marriage in order to force Aegon V to accept it.

Yandel quite often brings up some tidbit from Barth, only to disparage it. Is Yandel really that critical of Barth, or is this a stealth method of bringing some of Barth's opinions back to public knowledge?

I still haven't made up my mind on Yandel. Otoh, when a younger scholar challenges the works of renown thinkers (and Septon Barth's work falls under this, imo), it feels like one of those "to prove myself" quests. It's self-flattery.

The wealth of the westerlands was matched, in ancient times, with the hunger of the Freehold of Valyria for precious metals, yet there seems no evidence that the dragonlords ever made contact with the lords of the Rock, Casterly or Lannister. Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold’s sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them. Archmaester Perestan has put forward a different, more plausible speculation, suggesting that the Valyrians had in ancient days reached as far as Oldtown but suffered some great reverse or tragedy there that caused them to shun all of Westeros thereafter.

Wargs and Weirwood arrows, surely this is all leading to the North/Children vs Dany and her dragons. They can't be on the same side with these hints. There is a reason Torrehn knelt, so we didn't know the damage the Northerners are going to inflict on Dany.

Wargs and Weirwood arrows, surely this is all leading to the North/Children vs Dany and her dragons. They can't be on the same side with these hints. There is a reason Torrehn knelt, so we didn't know the damage the Northerners are going to inflict on Dany.

I would love for this to happen!!

:commie: I wouldn't be suprised if The Others join the North&Children :devil:

:stillsick: @ Aegon possibly fucking his own daughter and giving her a disease.

I loved the Rhoynar part. Interesting that Nymeria married a Dayne. I wonder if that was a love match and I wonder about that old man she married.

I feel once more pleased about being right about Visenya. I loved the info on her. It's interesting that her relationship with Aegon was said to not be warm long before it became distant but I understand her position. Her description also made me believe that the harsh beauty has more to do with her demeanor.

I wanted to know how Daena died but unfortunately I didn't see anything.

I'm not done yet though. I'm only up to Aerys I.

Archived