[TWOIAF Spoilers] Discussions of TWOIAF

It's called the Shadow because there are so many cliffs and they are so close. So it leaves the river under shadow, save for midday.

I'm not sure if it's also the reason for Asshai being always in darkness. Even the brightest summer days are gloomy and grey in Asshai.

The river is named Ash.

I read about 20 pages during my lunch break. Not gona lie, but I found the story kind of boring. The fact that the some of the information The Maester is telling us is either a lie or wrong really has me worried a good chunk of this story will be fan fiction.

I don't find it boring, but I also don't like the way it's written by a maeaster telling us that giants don't exist anymore when we've seen that they do. there's not very much information on the others, which I understand, but they're really what I want to know about since they're being set up to be real threat in the series.

Anyone else a little upset we didn't find out a little bit more about Valyria?

We still have yet to learn a single name of one of the other dragon lord families, I thought for sure we would get 1 or 2 in book.

Compared to learning huge chunks of info on houses like Justman and others I am sure people didn't even know they wanted to know about. =[

But after me being let down as huge Valyria fan boy I must say its one of the must beautiful books I have ever seen and will be buying probably 4 to 5 more copies for Xmas gifts for people. =]

The Five Forts, fortress in Oldtown, Seastone Chair, ruins of Yeen, Asshai... they are all black with a mysterious past.

What about Old Ones residing beneath the subterrean ruined cities of Leng?

Mazes! Gods be good, mazes! Lots of mazes. Mazes in Lorath, mazes in Leng and mazes in that fortress.

Shapenchangers and demon hunters in Mossovy? Wtf? What is a shapechanger? How? :S

What do you mean by a demon hunter GRRM?

You care about the things I care about. Yaaaaz.

The fact that Daemon once gave Rhaenyra

a jade tiara said once to have belonged to the Empress of Leng

looks a lot more sinister in retrospect, given what we're now told about the Empress of Leng's particular . . . choice of company.

We might get to meet the Archmaester Perestan that Yandel repeatedly cites, given that AFFC repeatedly mentions an "Archmaester Perestan" currently working at the Citadel, and the AFFC Appendix confirms he's a historian:

—ARCHMAESTER PERESTAN, the historian, whose ring and rod and mask are copper,

I'd be curious to see whether we get any more information from him, and perhaps some perspective on his reliability as a scholar, in the main series. AFFC mentions that Perestan considers Marwyn "unsound", and I'll be curious to see if we get Sam's take on Perestan's biases and knowledge base.

Some thoughts: Baelor was kind of a badass.

Man, Dornish can pull a mean Frey.

By my stars and garter, Rhaegar Targaryen didn't actually leave his wife with Aerys. Was it okay when he got back? No. But it takes a sin away.

Well Aegon IV was really was the greatest pig of his day, I would not be surprised if KL people all descend from him.

Aerys was really a ladies man, wonder if he has a bastard about.

All hail Gaemon, the food fighter.

All men named Davos most be awesome.

Blakfyres really should have stopped listening to Aegor. Aenys was truly the wisest and his death tragic.

In a letter to the Citadel, Pycelle wrote that the divisions within the Red Keep reminded him uncomfortably of the situation before the Dance of the Dragons a century before, when the enmity between Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra had split the realm in two, to grievous cost. A similarly bloody conflict might await the Seven Kingdoms once again, he warned, unless some accord could be reached that would satisfy both Prince Rhaegar’s supporters and the king’s.

Martin, George R.R.; Garcia, Elio; Antonsson, Linda (2014-10-28). The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) (Kindle Locations 3588-3591). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

In short, Pycelle said “Guys, we are on the right track.”

Tidbits on the Dance:

Maelor's death is the ugliest thing in the series, Jaehaera's murder is heart-breaking, we learn why Arryk Cargyll joined the Greens (he caught Rhaenyra and Daemon in bed together). Arryk is send to infiltrate Dragonstone as Erryk and murder Rhaenyra or his sons (possibly after Blood and Cheese), they happen to meet each other in a hallway, and either behave as in the songs, or curse each other as traitors and mortally wound each other in seconds (Mushroom, who allegedly was there).

Alicent's fate is unknown, it is hinted at that Viserys I was poisoned by her, though.

I liked how Visenya saved Aegon from Assasins in KL in 10 AC. With Dark Sister of course :D . Such a badass

I know it was tradition for him to marry the eldest sister, but I also wonder if he married her because he wanted her with him for her abilities a well. If she married someone else she'd take her dragon and her talents, and her priority might not be helping him. Maybe he knew she was a very good asset to have so married her beyond just being tradition but also to make sure all her skills were put to use for his cause/dream which she was united in and it became her cause (and Rhaenys') as well.

I have a couple questions for Ran about the eastern lands.

I know that the further east you go, the information becomes more like tales rather than reliable reports, but the Ibbenese visit Westeros often, and they should be well-known around there...is it true that they can't interbreed with other human races? I never got the impression that they were a separate species while reading the books, just hairy sailors...

And about Asshai...there are Westerosi sailors who visit it now and then, and some Maesters like Marwyn the Mage even went there, so the bit about the lack of children should be verifiable...how sure is Maester Yandel about the true of it? Because, if there really aren't any children, that screams OMG!!! FIRE WIGHT NATION!!!!

Some thoughts: Baelor was kind of a badass.

Man, Dornish can pull a mean Frey.

By my stars and garter, Rhaegar Targaryen didn't actually leave his wife with Aerys. Was it okay when he got back? No. But it takes a sin away.

Well Aegon IV was really was the greatest pig of his day, I would not be surprised if KL people all descend from him.

Aerys was really a ladies man, wonder if he has a bastard about.

All hail Gaemon, the food fighter.

All men named Davos most be awesome.

Blakfyres really should have stopped listening to Aegor. Aenys was truly the wisest and his death tragic.

What do you mean with

Pull a Frey? I read the chapters about Dorne and the war with Aegon and I must not have read this part

What do you mean with

Pull a Frey? I read the chapters about Dorne and the war with Aegon and I must not have read this part

Daeron the first time. He beat them twice and they agreed to swear fealty once more, but under peace banner struck him down.

Archived