[TWOIAF Spoilers] Garth Greenhand.

naseridrl

Garth seems to have been quite a guy Especially the idea that he could potentially have been the first man ever in Westeros. He seems to have wandered and learnt an awful lot rom those around him. Also the idea of sacrifices to blood sacrifices is also interesting especially as we've seen the old gods do seem to be into that kind of thing so if he was a God maybe he was some sort of harvest old god. He's also potentially another guy claiming to be High King of the First Men and the one who brought them across. Whether he was that or not, he may have been someone special considering he did end up in the most fertile part of Westeros. Or maybe he was responsible for making it so fertile with his knowledge and sacrifices

His kids also seem very interesting especially in the contrasts. One was a skinchanger yet her brother went about butchering COTF. His daughters especially seem to have been the beginnings of many houses. His family does seem to have been very connected to the more mystical parts of Westeros with woods witches and such.

He and his family seem even more colourful not than they did before.

Well, well, Garth is really interesting. Do you remember that he is sometimes depicted with green skin and horned? And what brings that up? The Order of the Green Men on the Isle of Faces in the Gods Eye.

There may be a lot of truth surrounding the darker nature of Garth, too, especially the blood sacrifice stuff in regards to both ancient First Men belief and the stuff they later adopted.

If Brandon the Builder is descended from this Brandon of the Bloody Blade, that would also confirm that Garth lived prior to the Long Night - which seems to be the case anyway.

Well, well, Garth is really interesting. Do you remember that he is sometimes depicted with green skin and horned? And what brings that up? The Order of the Green Men on the Isle of Faces in the Gods Eye.

There may be a lot of truth surrounding the darker nature of Garth, too, especially the blood sacrifice stuff in regards to both ancient First Men belief and the stuff they later adopted.

If Brandon the Builder is descended from this Brandon of the Bloody Blade, that would also confirm that Garth lived prior to the Long Night - which seems to be the case anyway.

I thought the Garth stuff was really interesting as well. I even mentioned IoF connection to a couple of people in PMs.

I haven't read the book yet, but what ive heard from Garth is really interesting, can anyone explain the Garth/Brandon of the Blood Blade (whoever that is) and Brandon the builder connection?

Garth was said to be Brandon of the Bloody Blade's father, who was said to be Brandon the Builder's father. According to the way the tale is told in the Reach.

He is interesting and it's definitely cool that stuff links him to the Isle of Faces and, by extension, to the children.

A lot of Garth's kids went on to found Reach houses, like William Tell-esque archer who founded the Fossoways and a sly fox daughter who founded House Florent. Nearly every big house in the Reach can claim legendary descent from this guy.

The fact that the Lords of the Reach are essentially this extended 'mythical family' apparently has made wars somewhat less cruel down there. This could be a hint that the Tyrells are not going to tear each other apart, nor is it all that likely that they will have to face a severe, Frey/Bolton-like backstabbing from one of the bannermen.

After reading about Garth I think I find him more interesting than Bran the Builder. He's connected to so much stuff. And then he's got children who are legend too. and founded many families. Plus he's probably the base genetic material for most of Westeros given how much he and then his kids seem to have put it about.

If assume that this green skin and horn stuff that was hinted at, leads to something, then I'd suggest that the story of Garth Greenhand is a sort of echo of the First Men priesthood/beliefs prior to the Pact. This would have been this darker cult, the practice of blood magic and stuff like that to get a good harvest, healthy children, and the like.

I'm not sure why the hell the guys on the Isle of Faces are the Green Men. Yes, it is said that this order was founded then, but who joined its ranks? The best guess would be influential/powerful Children and First Men sorcerers, and I'd guess the latter would be found mostly among the original priesthood/religious leaders of the First Men.

The idea that Garth himself existed as described, is very unlikely.

Perhaps Garth wasn't a first man. Maybe he was from somewhere else who had superior technology and he understood how to grow things purely because he was more scientifically advance and he understood the mechanics of it all. Maybe linked to the inky black stone people. And he wanted to bring his knowledge to people and due to their lack of understanding of the things he knew he just became some mythical figure.

Maybe all the Green Men are people of higher understanding/more advanced culture who are there to protect a place of great magic that musn't fall into the wrong hands or it can be hugely abused and cause mayhem.

Also remember that unlike any other place in Essos, there is this strange custom of Pentos. They choose a Prince and if the harvest goes bad, they slit his throat, which is explained in ADwD where Jon Snow was called Corn King by Mormont's Raven (i.e. George). We can also see the assasination of Jon as an act of sacrificing the harvest deity. Indeed, what Tormund's people brought to Jon when they surrendered seem like queer offerings and worship.

It is quite obvious that Garth was a god instead of a man. I assume that he was a deity the First Men brought with them because he seems to favor agriculture which is alien to the CotF.

And that the First Night was originally a fertility rite dedicated to Garth. Similar, as you say, to what is still being practiced in Pentos.

A few of the very oldest tales of Garth Greenhand present us with a considerably darker deity, one who demanded blood sacrifice from his worshippers to ensure a bountiful harvest. In some stories the green god dies every autumn when the trees lose their leaves, only to be reborn with the coming of spring. This version of Garth is largely forgotten.

Martin, George R.R.; Garcia, Elio; Antonsson, Linda (2014-10-28). The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) (Kindle Locations 5906-5908). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Above is the quote for Garth as a harvest deity.

It being largely forgotten is probably linked with the fact that the First Men took up the COTF Old Gods so put all their older customs and over time people forgot. I do love his stuff though he seems connected with so much stuff, it's like all the other myths of Westeros just spiral out from him. So in way he was the very first man, an after him came all the other tales and legends.

Archived