[TWoIaF spoilers] The Curious Tale of Hyrkoon the Hero

Lord Varys

It may be that no one put an end to the long night/winter; the season finally changed. For example, as the story begins it is the end of a ten year summer that changes to autumn and winter the way it always does. No one forced it to change.

The long winter was used to someone's magical advantage, but once spring rolled up that's the end. All the people who were fighting during this time claimed to be the hero. That's why we never get details in Old Nan's story of the last action hero or the Battle for the Dawn; what feat the woman with a monkey's tale performed etc because these things didn't bring about Spring.

It may be that no one put an end to the long night/winter; the season finally changed. For example, as the story begins it is the end of a ten year summer that changes to autumn and winter the way it always does. No one forced it to change.

The long winter was used to someone's magical advantage, but once spring rolled up that's the end. All the people who were fighting during this time claimed to be the hero. That's why we never get details in Old Nan's story of the last action hero or the Battle for the Dawn; what feat the woman with a monkey's tale performed etc because these things didn't bring about Spring.

Yeah but most of the tales share the fact that it was not just winter, but that the sun was gone or hiding for a generation. The Tale of the Maiden made of Light and the Lion of night seems to be inverted symbolically the tale of the Sun kissing the moon, in one the Sun hides in the Other the moon is destroyed a dragons come fourth. but we read no period of endless days. However it shows a complete cycle like the seasons, it is not the normal seasons, length or no it's the missing sun that is the problem. In both cases we got the unity of opposition, the Maid and the Lion had a child, the Sun and the Moon had dragons.

Of course we have some reflection of the Maid and the Lion in Dany's dream.

Dominion was passed down from the God - on - Earth through his family over time. "The Pearl Emperor, The Jade Emperor, the Onyx Empreror, the Tourmaline Emperor, the Topaz Emperor, the Opal Emperor, the Amethyst Empress, who her younger brother killed. The Bloodstone Emperor, and the world was filled with all kinds of bad. and the Lion of Night unleashed his wrath upon them and the Maiden made of light turned her back on humanity. This is the long night. It's listed as long night just to be clear. So then the hero of many names arose and led the virtuous and all that. And light and love returned to the world. I like to think Azor was actually leading the desperate who wanted to live, but you know mythology has flare to it.

So of course in Essos you have a large movement that believes Day is AA. Which you know whatever, I don't need anyone to be called AA or the Prince, they are some of the people who will rise up to you know, survive and help others and all that.

But it is those Emperors who caught my eye. Because of this, and this may have been talked about I don't know to many Damn threads and posts. But one part about Dany's dream had always confused me till the world books came out.

“Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.” She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. “Faster!” the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward.”

“… wake the dragon …”

I could not figure out the stones for eyes symbolism. Now it actually makes sense and of course seems to confirm that Yi Ti and the Targs are blood. Interesting enough we seem to have Azor with Dany and the Prince with Jon though she has the Dragons of the Prince and has the Sword, at least in his own dream. Just sort of goes to show the cycles repeat and they invert. Of course you can look at the whole symbol of Stannis, the burning heart an inverse would be a frozen heart, the Heart of Winter.

The myth of AA forging LB cannot be all together true because AA was forging a steel sword by hammering and folding. This means the myth of AA was created much later than what really happened during the LN. According to Mel, the return of AA was prophesized 5000 years ago. I think that time also refers to the creation of AA myth and it was still 3000 years after the LN. AA myth was forged as an equivalent of Hugor Hill to the Andals. He was made a culture hero for the Red Religion as soon as it was formed.

I personally believe the issue of they bring the cold/the cold brings them has been amply addressed in the text. Every single instance of wights/ww is prefaced with a character thinking how unbelievably cold it is suddenly. The prologue in the first book gives us all the clues we need. Remember that the group of dead wildling's Gared finds all froze to death. They show no signs of being wounded at all. This must mean the WW's bring the cold bc, as Royce points out, it had been to warm for anyone to freeze to death. The wall is noted to have been weeping recently bc it hadn't been very cold. In fact it's the recent warmth that causes Royce to belittle the ranger bc he believes freezing to death would be impossible at that time. The only way they could have frozen to death would be if the WW's brought the cold to them. It's either that or you'd have to argue that there was a 30+ degree temperature difference between the Wall and the wildling camp which are close enough to each other to make the temp difference impossible. It seems the WW's set a trap and it worked. That explains why they were all laughing as they killed Royce.

The myth of AA forging LB cannot be all together true because AA was forging a steel sword by hammering and folding. This means the myth of AA was created much later than what really happened during the LN. According to Mel, the return of AA was prophesized 5000 years ago. I think that time also refers to the creation of AA myth and it was still 3000 years after the LN. AA myth was forged as an equivalent of Hugor Hill to the Andals. He was made a culture hero for the Red Religion as soon as it was formed.

Well we don't know how accurate the chronology is. We know from Feast that there are some who suspect that the common understanding of ancient history is all wrong. So the Long Night could have been just 5000 years ago since the chronology can't be fully trusted. Likewise the myth of AA could be older than 5000, because I doubt the Essosi are any better at accurate dates for things happening that long ago.

Archived