[TWOIAF SPOILERS] what was in Prince Nymor's letter to Aegon the Conqueror?

Maybe because she was so damaged and burnt that returning her alive would only incite Aegon further? They may have figured he'd be happier thinking she died relatively quickly with her dragon.

The problem with the Rhaenys suggestion is that Rhaenys was shot down in 10 AC. The Dornish War continued until 13 AC, in which intervening span Aegon and Visenya put every castle except Sunspear itself to the torch and waged a guerrila war against the Dornish nobility. If the Martells had Rhaenys that whole time but didn't seek to make any use of it, they're not very smart.

The problem with the Rhaenys suggestion is that Rhaenys was shot down in 10 AC. The Dornish War continued until 13 AC, in which intervening span Aegon and Visenya put every castle except Sunspear itself to the torch and waged a guerrila war against the Dornish nobility. If the Martells had Rhaenys that whole time but didn't seek to make any use of it, they're not very smart.

They could have wanted to keep her until they really couldn't do anything else anymore

What could they really do other than what they did with the skull and the letter? I guess your complaint is that they waited too long?

Given the stories of past Dornish badasses and the likes of Theon the Hungry Wolf Stark, do we get a sense that the current story is populated by a bunch of pansies ruling these particular regions of ultimate awesome badassery?

I mean, Eddard, Benjen, Robb and the like are Mother Theresa compared to Theon the Hungry Wolf and his like. And Doran Martell seems to be incredibly pacifist and cautious compared to the likes of the Yellow Toad and other Dornish badasses who made the Targaryens bleed for every step they gained in Dorne.

It almost seems like the rulers of these regions move between extremes. For every Theon Stark, you get a Torhenn Kneeler Stark. And for every Brandon Ice Eyes, you get a Edrick Snowbeard.

And it is just our misfortune that we happen to have an Eddard and Robb compassionate and honorable Stark generation that is easy meat for the Tywin Lannisters and Boltons of this world, during the time of this story.

What could they really do other than what they did with the skull and the letter? I guess your complaint is that they waited too long?

Yes, that's precisely the complaint. If they had Rhaenys as a prisoner, they should have used that to end the war immediately.

Yes, that's precisely the complaint. If they had Rhaenys as a prisoner, they should have used that to end the war immediately.

A possible explanation is that she was so messed up that they were not sure ransoming her back would end the war. I think they would have considered Aegon's possible negative reaction to seeing his beloved wife in that state could have made things a lot worse for them. By waiting a few years and privately offering to end her suffering rather than return her they made sure Aegon would stop attacking them. Cause if he didn't they would continue torturing her. It's also possible that she wasn't still alive, and they were bluffing. Her bones were never returned.

I need to re-read that part, but I suppose the Martells actually offered a proof of what they were saying. They took Meraxes' skulls as a peace offering but that didn't mean they had Rhaenys.

Aegon immediately left for Dragonstone, and there is no evidence he took Orys or VIsenya, or anybody else. Maybe the letter said something like "come alone to DS and you can see what's left of your wife and kill her in your presence" or something like that. Or they returned the body but it was secretly buried.

I need to re-read that part, but I suppose the Martells actually offered a proof of what they were saying. They took Meraxes' skulls as a peace offering but that didn't mean they had Rhaenys.

Aegon immediately left for Dragonstone, and there is no evidence he took Orys or VIsenya, or anybody else. Maybe the letter said something like "come alone to DS and you can see what's left of your wife and kill her in your presence" or something like that. Or they returned the body but it was secretly buried.

Maybe the letter was actually from Rhaenys.

That could work, but the mention of him departing "immediately on Balerion’s back for Dragonstone" is a bit suspicious. He was either meant to meet with someone or see something. Remember Dragonstone is an island. Maybe a ship was waiting for him there. And he returned next morning.

Can I just say how much I love Prince Nymor's name. I mean who better to stand against would be conquerors than someone with the combined name of the two people who did actually united/conquer all of Dorne. Princess Meria maybe had the gift of foresight when she named him.

That could work, but the mention of him departing "immediately on Balerion’s back for Dragonstone" is a bit suspicious. He was either meant to meet with someone or see something. Remember Dragonstone is an island. Maybe a ship was waiting for him there. And he returned next morning.

Or perhaps he wanted to be alone, to be able to grief after all those years?

Or perhaps he wanted to be alone, to be able to grief after all those years?

Doubt it. The Princess was still there, waiting for an answer. If he was going to grief, he would do it later, in privacy, not showing such weakness.

The rushed way in which he left indicates, to me, that he NEEDED TO SEE or DO something. Then, he took his decision and agreed on peace.

Maybe because she was so damaged and burnt that returning her alive would only incite Aegon further? They may have figured he'd be happier thinking she died relatively quickly with her dragon.

I doubt she burned given she was atop Meraxes. A harmed Rhaenys was still of more use than a dead one.

However, you do give me an idea. Perhaps, in the fall from Meraxes she suffered a blow that put her in a coma. The impression given is that the Dornishmen would have killed her given to what they did to all their captives. They could have been caring for her while she was in a vegetative state. They were probably rearing to use her as a hostage when she woke up, and deigned to tell Aegon before then. Or simply they thought "Screw Aegon" regarding what they were doing.

It could be.

Possible.

Rhaenys seems the most likely, but given what we know about the Dornish love of poison, I had a crackpot theory form almost instantly. Maybe the bleeding hand was a symptom of a contact toxin the Dornish had been working on, and Aegon had to fly off to get an antidote Nymor promised. It may have been something he would need to take the rest of his life, and they would give it to him if he gave them peace. Just my riduculous idea.

Rhaenys seems the most likely, but given what we know about the Dornish love of poison, I had a crackpot theory form almost instantly. Maybe the bleeding hand was a symptom of a contact toxin the Dornish had been working on, and Aegon had to fly off to get an antidote Nymor promised. It may have been something he would need to take the rest of his life, and they would give it to him if he gave them peace. Just my riduculous idea.

About the blood:

Swayed by such considerations, it is said, King Aegon was determined to refuse the offer until Princess Deria placed in his hands a private letter from her father, Prince Nymor. Aegon read it upon the Iron Throne, and men say that when he rose, his hand was bleeding, so hard had he clenched it.

He clenched the IT. He cut his hand.

About the blood:

Swayed by such considerations, it is said, King Aegon was determined to refuse the offer until Princess Deria placed in his hands a private letter from her father, Prince Nymor. Aegon read it upon the Iron Throne, and men say that when he rose, his hand was bleeding, so hard had he clenched it.

He clenched the IT. He cut his hand.

But structurally, both uses of word the "it" go back to the letter.

He read it ... so hard had he clutched it.

If it is referring to the Iron Throne, it's structured awkwardly, because the way it's written, the "it" should go back to referring to the letter.

Archived