[TWOIAF SPOILERS] what was in Prince Nymor's letter to Aegon the Conqueror?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/334/U-WOT-M8.jpg

The Faceless Men don't have a flat rate for their assassinations, but adjust the price based on what the person wanting it owns and holds dear. Hence why people like a sailor's widow who has just been scammed of her husbands life insurance money can afford to hire them (Arya ADWD) whereas King Robert on the other hand refrains from doing so because it would have been too expensive, and has Varys ask the "Sorrowful Men" n00bs to kill Dany instead.

Hence why I said he could purchase their services through other people. Send someone else to ask for their services while secretly funding it.

Anyways I personally find the faceless men theory useless. The faceless men themselves useless as well. If the Valyrians knew about them they would be dinner. All it would take is Balerion to turn Braavos into a city of dust and ashes

So, the main theories so far:

-Rhaenys wrote the letter and told him to stop the war.

-Nymor told him they had Rhaenys. She would get a quick death if they chose to stop the war.

-Some sort of threat against him, Aenys, the Targaryens, etc.

The first and second one can easily be combined. And they are my pick. Aegon's reaction is pretty much him freaking out. The only thing that could make him react like that is Rhaenys.

So, the main theories so far:

-Rhaenys wrote the letter and told him to stop the war

-Nymor told him they had Rhaenys. She would get a quick death if they chose to stop the war-

-Some sort of threat against him, Aenys, the Targaryens, etc.

The first and second one can easily be combined. And they are my pick. Aegon's reaction is pretty much him freaking out. The only thing that could make him react like that is Rhaenys.

Reason I doubt it was her is because Aegon would have demanded her return.

There's really nothing except Rhaenys being alive and captured that could have:

-stopped the war.

-caused that reaction on Aegon.

The Dornishmen had killed Meraxes and Rhaenys, at least officially. The content of the letter is the key here, the reason why she didn't come back to KL, but I'd ay there's no doubt: either she wrote it, or Nymor wrote about her.

There's really nothing except Rhaenys being alive and captured that could have:

-stopped the war.

-caused that reaction on Aegon..

I agree. The first rule (?) of blackmailing is to cause a shock or an impression. To put Aegon in THEIR hands. Even telling him "she's alive" wouldn't shock him as much as it looks like it did. The whole "clenching" of his hand makes him sound both shocked AND infuriated. And he pretty much left the room running. Her flight to DS indicates that the Martell managed to get him there, and probably put himself in a position of being captured. That's why I believe they even took Rhaenys there, or parts of her.

True, if he was willing to burn every castle, holdfast and keep in Dorne as vengeance for her death then I doubt he would be swayed to sign a peace after learning she had been tortured for years, and their offer was to kill her. That would have inflamed him. She was the love of his life, and the mother of his son and grandmother to his grandchildren.

True, if he was willing to burn every castle, holdfast and keep in Dorne as vengeance for her death then I doubt he would be swayed to sign a peace after learning she had been torture for years, and their offer was to kill her. That would have inflamed him. She was the love of his life, and the mother of his son and grandmother to his grandchildren.

well maybe it wasn't torture, but only captivity.

Would Aegon be outraged if she was captured after the death of Meraxes and kept in captivity? She might not have wished to live broken and crippled. She might even have written in the letter, that she had been treated with honor and trusted her captors to keep their word and give her her heart's desire if Aegon agreed to a peace. I think it's more about the Stockholm syndrome of Rhaenys than anything else. That would be a very Martellish thing to do. Maybe she was even released to Aegon on the promise that he would agree to the peace.

Could it be possible that the Dornish were holding Rhaenys in one of the many castles/towns that Aegon burned during the Dragon's Wroth? Perhaps the letter informed him that his sisters death was by his own hand. Maybe that was enough to make him so livid and open to a peace.

I find it hard to believe that they would not unleash Fire and Blood upon learning of their sister's maiming or torture, but the shock and guilt of having unknowingly kinslayed their beloved might make them consider peace over a war that has led do such.

Perhaps they returned the bones to Aegon in Dragonstone, so he could bury her where she belongs.

This doesn't convince me completely, but it's interesting to consider.

I agree. The first rule (?) of blackmailing is to cause a shock or an impression. To put Aegon in THEIR hands. Even telling him "she's alive" wouldn't shock him as much as it looks like it did. The whole "clenching" of his hand makes him sound both shocked AND infuriated. And he pretty much left the room running. Her flight to DS indicates that the Martell managed to get him there, and probably put himself in a position of being captured. That's why I believe they even took Rhaenys there, or parts of her.

Yep.

What's your theory, exactly?

True, if he was willing to burn every castle, holdfast and keep in Dorne as vengeance for her death then I doubt he would be swayed to sign a peace after learning she had been torture for years, and their offer was to kill her. That would have inflamed him. She was the love of his life, and the mother of his son and grandmother to his grandchildren.

That's why, with all probability, the letter was written by Rhaenys herself. The content of that letter is the key.

I find it hard to believe that they would not unleash Fire and Blood upon learning of their sister's maiming or torture, but the shock and guilt of having unknowingly kinslayed their beloved might make them consider peace over a war that has led do such.

Is there a Valyrian/Targ prohibition against kinslaying?I thought it was an Andal/First Men thing. Maegor didn't much seem to care about it, and arguably neither did Visenya.

Is it possible that Rheanys was pregnant at the time or that she bore a child to some Dornishman while in captivity? It might be enough for her to want to stay in Dorne rather than face life at the court with a bastard an d if the child is Aegon's then the threat to kill/torture him/her is a lot more credible than sending FM against Aenys.

Yep.

What's your theory, exactly?

The letter said they had Rhaenys and she was being tortured. "Come to DS and see".

If they had had Rhaenys there, nothing could have stopped Aegon to go and burn Dorne, or find a way to kill them and rescue Rhaenys. So, Rhaenys couldn't be there. They showed him something that belonged to Rhaenys, or a letter.

Aegon wasn't told where Rhaenys was. He wasn't going to attack every part of Dorne trying to get her. And if he did, in the meantime, Rhaenys was still suffering. But they assured him that they would end her suffering if he agreed peace. He did.

I too think it has something to do with Rhaenys. As for why Dorne waited until a few years to contact Aegon with this, I think it was Nymor's idea. The book says that Meria died in 13 AC and that was the very same year Nymor sent Deria to the Targaryens. From what we have seen from the book, Meria sounded like a vicious and vindictive woman who perhaps wanted to punish Rhaenys for all the atrocities she and her siblings committed in Dorne. Nymor sounds more like a Doran-type character and so he sued for peace.

The letter said they had Rhaenys and she was being tortured. "Come to DS and see".

If they had had Rhaenys there, nothing could have stopped Aegon to go and burn Dorne, or find a way to kill them and rescue Rhaenys. So, Rhaenys couldn't be there. They showed him something that belonged to Rhaenys, or a letter.

Aegon wasn't told where Rhaenys was. He wasn't going to attack every part of Dorne trying to get her. And if he did, in the meantime, Rhaenys was still suffering. But they assured him that they would end her suffering if he agreed peace. He did.

Oh now I see. Yes, it's quite similar to my own personal theory.

with all probability, the letter was written by Rhaenys herself. The content of that letter is the key.

I agree , it seems most likely that the letter wasn't written by a dornishman, but rather Rhaenys herself. Or....

They forced her to write the letter and tell lies to Aegon.

How likely is it that after she wrote the letter the Dornish burned her and claimed that Aegon's dragons were responsible?

well maybe it wasn't torture, but only captivity.

Would Aegon be outraged if she was captured after the death of Meraxes and kept in captivity? She might not have wished to live broken and crippled. She might even have written in the letter, that she had been treated with honor and trusted her captors to keep their word and give her her heart's desire if Aegon agreed to a peace. I think it's more about the Stockholm syndrome of Rhaenys than anything else. That would be a very Martellish thing to do. Maybe she was even released to Aegon on the promise that he would agree to the peace.

Aegon would have still demanded her back, regardless if she was broken and crippled. He would want to see her at least.

Archived