Is the text worth it, besides the artwork?

The artwork is superb. I would have liked to see less art I have already seen in simple google searches months ago. But that picture of Dragonstone is breath taking.

Pic of Sunfyre having is lunch is just how I imagined it.

Thing is I've read about half the book. To me, every 10 pages or so there is one paragraph of content worth paying for. So far. All the other stuff it stuff I already know or have already read.

It's give and take. I am happy to have the end of the dance of dragons tied up and learn about the transition from Aegon ll to

Aegon lll. So for the little gems llike that it's worth it, but I honestly was expecting something a little more, I don't know, unique or new. There's a lot of recycled information in there, peppered with new info. I was expecting a lot more new info than I got.

I still half the book to go. And I know the way Martin works. He's giving as much info in this book as he can without spoiling or ruining his plan involving ASOIF

The artwork is superb. I would have liked to see less art I have already seen in simple google searches months ago. But that picture of Dragonstone is breath taking.

Pic of Sunfyre having is lunch is just how I imagined it.

Thing is I've read about half the book. To me, every 10 pages or so there is one paragraph of content worth paying for. So far. All the other stuff it stuff I already know or have already read.

It's give and take. I am happy to have the end of the dance of dragons tied up and learn about the transition from Aegon ll to

Aegon lll. So for the little gems llike that it's worth it, but I honestly was expecting something a little more, I don't know, unique or new. There's a lot of recycled information in there, peppered with new info. I was expecting a lot more new info than I got.

I still half the book to go. And I know the way Martin works. He's giving as much info in this book as he can without spoiling or ruining his plan involving ASOIF

I think is worth it, but i see your point, I think it has much to do with martin still planning prequel books and another history book.

Worth is incredibly subjective, let alone factoring in further costs from specialty stores.

I will only address the worth of the book in relation to time.

The conceit of the book is the foundation to understanding what you are getting into. For many, this can be frustrating or indulgent.

This is directed very plainly to hardcore fans, and GRRM made it with them in mind. The appeal to casual readers seems to be nonexistent. The choice of trying to please everyone was avoided (to the book's benefit).

Keep in mind this is also the first edition. What may be pleasant one day may become fantastic with some maturation.

This book will not make you an invested reader---it is a well that offers sustenance for the diehard fan, in a flavor that takes a learned tongue to appreciate.

If that seems worth it to you, then you have your answer.

(I tried to see it as neutral as possible, without hinting to how I feel. If you must know, I appreciate the book---the art is simply wonderful. But your OP wasn't asking about that, so I didn't include that in my review)

Not sure why the book should not apply to the casual reader. In fact, it should include a lot new and interesting stuff for this kind of reader. The die-hard fan actually knew a lot of stuff in there.

Here in Brazil I can only buy the ebook version thru Amazon, the other option would be importing the book but that would be too expensive for now, therefore I bought the ebook version. I must say I love the art work and all the information, I'm soaking everything up like a sponge only problem is that this book is making me want TWOW even more now.

It's actually really interesting, especially the bits about Aegon's conquest and the reign of the Mad King. There are a lot of subtle clues about a number of things, and it makes the world a lot richer. Definitely worth it.

And the artwork is just incredible!

Not sure why the book should not apply to the casual reader. In fact, it should include a lot new and interesting stuff for this kind of reader. The die-hard fan actually knew a lot of stuff in there.

Cause a lot of readers just want more of the plot they're already invested in? I love this thing, but my dad and his daughter who got me into this series are much less into the world building than I am so I won't be surprised if this world book doesn't interest them.

Cause a lot of readers just want more of the plot they're already invested in? I love this thing, but my dad and his daughter who got me into this series are much less into the world building than I am so I won't be surprised if this world book doesn't interest them.

There's a lot there that is directly relevant to the story and the plot of the current books, however. I wouldn't call information about Rheagar, Aerys, RR or even dragons/Others just world-building.

There's a lot there that is directly relevant to the story and the plot of the current books, however. I wouldn't call information about Rheagar, Aerys, RR or even dragons/Others just world-building.

Yes and no. It helps us fill out the current story, but my dad doesn't read like that, he's a speed reader who skims over a lot of smaller details that aren't immediately influential to the plot, which is why he didn't pick up on a lot of stuff like even R+L=J. So the extra color and insight this book provides is the kind of stuff his mind will strip out as he's reading ASOIAF anyways. So while I'm loving this, I won't be surprised at all if he gets very little out the book.

I think one of the criticisms of the work is that they are simply labelling it as "fanfiction", when it has been some kind of bad opinion about it before (GRRM saying he doesn't like it, etc).

I agree on the idea of a work not being "the same" if anyone continues the work of an author when this is not involved (for whatever reason, like death). But this isn't the case. First, it's not like Linda and Ran did everything and GRRM say "yeah, it's ok" without checking. As far as I know, Martin was severely involved with it, and it's more of a group work. I think that is enough to dismiss any notion of "fan fiction", because in this specific case, it's not.

I've been through a similar case few years ago when one manga I follow was relaunched and two spin offs were also included. In this case, the two authors were simply given some directions or had the basic opinion of the main author about what they were going to do, but they were free to write and draw whatever they wanted. As the main author and one of the others were writing about the same events but under different perspectives, the spinoff was terribly bashed as "fan fiction" (as the author had been a fan of the original work since it was first published in the 80s), non-canon, unworthy, terrible, and more by the most radical fans, when (at least at first) the work was much better than the original. In years to come, the fanbase wars become in nothing but "I can' believe you like what I don't like!", as the original work was becoming more terrible with every edition (really, the author seemed to have been drawing it with his feet...), and its fans were becoming more enraged with the other works gaining fans and even an anime adaptation (one of them).

I think that's kinda the feeling I see happening in the other troll site. It's like they are bitter about certain decisions GRRM has taken and they believe that by us not caring about it, we're encouraging his behaviour, so, it's OUR fault that he doesn't write ASOIAF, and they believe themselves more "true" as seeing what we can't see, because we're blind and oblivious. The thing is that we all are mad that he's not finishing ASOIAF any sooner, we're just not so rabid about it.

The "problem" is that GRRM has been very outspoken about fanfiction, so when suddenly his 2 most notorious fans publish a book within his canon you can't expect his detractors not to pick that up. I know it's not fanfic per se, but it's somewhere in the middle.

I don't think that's a problem, though. If anything, GRRM has been holding his IP back for being too hands-on. When he does approve derived works by third-parties, he tends to make several bad deals. The 2 videogames are insultingly bad, the graphic novel art sucks, the RPG book is uninspired at best, the company who used to make illustrated versions of the books was shut down, the facebook game is horrible, and the card game is mediocre. The board game is quite good, though.

Anyway, his franchise lacks other novellas/books. He must know plenty of young, qualified writers willing to work on his universe. Why not let one of them write a trilogy set in the East or something like that? It could be set thousands of years before the ASOIAF books and would have no influence in his work, the same way the Old Republic in Star Wars won't change the new trilogy.

It only demonstrates the delusion of those who compare something GRRM worked on and provided hundreds of thousands of words of details for, to fan fiction that GRRM has and wants nothing to do with whatsoever.

It is even more delusion that they said L&E put their own style in it, even though it is quiet clear that this down to the letter similar format and wording as Rogues and TPATQ

From a creative point of view, this project must have been a nightmare. Ran and Linda cannot be praised enough for their work. Cutting down and rephrasing material without changing it much harder than creating original content.

And how good a job they did we can all see with the accounts on the Dance and the reign of Viserys, which we have all read in the TPatQ and TRP.

The "problem" is that GRRM has been very outspoken about fanfiction, so when suddenly his 2 most notorious fans publish a book within his canon you can't expect his detractors not to pick that up. I know it's not fanfic per se, but it's somewhere in the middle.

The "problem" is called jealousy "I can't publish my fanfic without being called names by people like Linda but they can write something I can arguably (forgetting Martin himself say it's not) describe as fan-fiction". :bawl: :crying:

If you look in their forum they have the exactly same arguements about the mush.

It's just pathetic.

(and I say that while I certainly disagree with Martin/Hobb/Linda views on fanfic in general, liking J.K Rowlings line more, but I find just ridiculous the amount of hate they get for formulating their negative personnal opinions, like if it prevented people to write what they want in the secret of their home -it's a big paradox in fanfictionner sphere, people usually claim they feel the need to write what they write for themselves, but still seem unable to accept when an author forbids them to make it public)

There are definitely people put there with what is, as ran put it, "an axe to grind". I started reading it today and have no issues with the writing. This isn't meant to be a work of literary genius. The text is clear, concise, extremely informative for the uber fan, and I'm enjoying it.

Archived