Is the text worth it, besides the artwork?

I NEVER read reviews. Always make your own judgement about things. You'll get bad reviews about even the best of literature, and people's snide critcisms can ruin it for you.

Buy it and make your own opinion about it, I say.

It's interesting to read about this, as I found the reviews very ... strange. Despite the mountains of text in the new book, the negative comments were there instantly, reiterated many of the same talking points intended to slam the writing, and all of the positive comments were downvoted for being "unhelpful".

I knew nothing about this alleged internet feud but it all looked very suspicious anyway.

Especially since I now hold the book and it is amazing. As far as the writing being really bad or whatever... please. It's not even a complaint that someone would really have for a coffee table history book. It's absurd.

I agree, Some of those negative reviews were up first thing yesterday morning.

Thoughts on the novel: Thought it was fantastic, for those that say they put their own style or whatever ignores how this was done the exact same as Rogues and TPATQ. Saying this is fanfiction ignores how this is fanfiction ignores how they used his notes and he had final say.

Only issue is i wished i had more.

My thoughts exactly on the style from Rouges, TPATQ, ect... and those were written by the Grand Maester himself, so they can't complain about that style of writing.

I think it's a dick move to try and dismiss negative reviews as internet trolling. I was reading the amazon reviews just now and some of them were fairly long and detailed, without any trace of trollling and also verified purchases.

I don't agree with 1-star scores, but I wouldn't give it 4 either. Still, they bring up perfectly valid criticism which shouldn't be bashed/ignored like this.

While I didn't mean all negative reviews were trolling in general, I just meant the blatant ones that were calling the co-authors out in general. I did read quite a few detailed, long negative reviews. I agreed with some, but at the same time, this wasn't billed as the "complete unabridged" history or ASOIAF, they obviously can't tell everything without ruining the series as a whole.

I think it's a dick move to try and dismiss negative reviews as internet trolling. I was reading the amazon reviews just now and some of them were fairly long and detailed, without any trace of trollling and also verified purchases.

I don't agree with 1-star scores, but I wouldn't give it 4 either. Still, they bring up perfectly valid criticism which shouldn't be bashed/ignored like this.

I disagree. A short read on a certain forum had comments that said they were wondering whether they should give the book three stars in an Amazon review to not look like a troll. Another person called GRRM a "fatass", and other people asked for TWOIAF information so he could write a review in Goodreads without buying the book.

Really, I understand complaints about GRRM's writing speed, but that particular forum has gone completely insane. There were actually long and detailed essays defending people who were insulting GRRM for being fat.

I disagree. A short read on a certain forum had comments that said they were wondering whether they should give the book three stars in an Amazon review to not look like a troll. Another person called GRRM a "fatass", and other people asked for TWOIAF information so he could write a review in Goodreads without buying the book.

Really, I understand complaints about GRRM's writing speed, but that particular forum has gone completely insane. There were actually long and detailed essays defending people who were insulting GRRM for being fat.

This is why I'm going to use a false identity when I publish my book. When trolls fail to challenge a person's intellect, they resort to petty jabs about their appearance.

I don't know if Linda is a racist, homophobe or misogynist, but she surely is a huge hypocrite who passes all the time bitching and complaining about the show, calling names to the people in charge of it (and even Maisie Williams...was it "bloody idiot"? Yeah, I think so). You'd think someone who is so angry with the show and disapproves of HBO's actions wouldn't take money from them, but alas, you keep receiving your HBO checks, right Linda?

It's almost funny how Ran and Linda complain about the "trolls" who say bad things about their work or about GRRM, but feel like they have a pass to whine and bash the HBO show and the people behind it. Y'know, they are doing exactly the same, name-calling included, only that the "trolls" don't receive money from GRRM, whereas Ran and Linda do receive checks from HBO.

Oh, but you're just expressing your "opinions", no?

I don't know if Linda is a racist, homophobe or misogynist, but she surely is a huge hypocrite who passes all the time bitching and complaining about the show, calling names to the people in charge of it (and even Maisie Williams...was it "bloody idiot"? Yeah, I think so). You'd think someone who is so angry with the show and disapproves of HBO's actions wouldn't take money from them, but alas, you keep receiving your HBO checks, right Linda?

It's almost funny how Ran and Linda complain about the "trolls" who say bad things about their work or about GRRM, but feel like they have a pass to whine and bash the HBO show and the people behind it. Y'know, they are doing exactly the same, name-calling included, only that the "trolls" don't receive money from GRRM, whereas Ran and Linda do receive checks from HBO.

Oh, but you're just expressing your "opinions", no?

I believe Ann Coulter's profile has finally been discovered.

Just ignore him/her.

Oh, I imagine it won't be necessary to ignore that person for long because I don't see them having much of a future on the board. ;)

However, this is a claim that the trolls keep repeating and I've seen people taken in by it, so I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what HBO is supposed to be paying us for according to them.

So... I'm not in the US/UK. My best option right now is the Kindle version. I'd buy a regular version later. Unless I paid an obscene amount of money, it would take quite some time to get here if I ordered it from Amazon or stores like that. It would be best for me to wait for specialized bookstores in my country to import the book.

But... Amazon reviews are bashing the book hard. They say the writing is really bad. I understand it wasn't (mostly) written by Martin. But maybe those people were mistakenly waiting for a novel? I'm not. But how bad is the writing, really?

If the only thing that's worth it is the artwork, I guess I shouldn't waste money on a Kindle version... But if the text is worth it, it would be a nice casual reading to have in my Kindle. What I mean is... In the future, will I feel like returning to the text? Or will I feel like it's just like Wiki text?

As far as I understood while reading the comments here and on the web, TWoIaF works like a sort of encyclopedia - though written in a matter that could be more enjoyable to the reader, with intentional bias and some misleading information.

Personally I don't see any reason to buy a book - supposed to be a compendium, as far as I can tell - that either doesn't have any mean or pretense of being complete (Not that it could. Asoiaf's story hasn't even ended yet) and that may or may not jab at fan theories without adding something exactly new on that regard that the series books alone can't manage to provide.

Since GRRM hasn't written it all (and the fact that Asoiaf hasn't ended yet), it's safe to assume that it contains either important things the reader is supposed to already know or minor info that the average reader could live without, since I refuse to believe that an author like GRRM would be so dishonest to put in a compendium book fundamental info without including them in his original story.

Unless I'm wrong, we are speaking about a compilation that it's intentionally partial, not totally written by the author and without a real reason to add something new that it's not marginal info or side notes.

Cohincidentally published in the meantime between the actual books while the tv series has most likely reached its peak. I guess that's what may irritate some people on the internet.

In my specific case I know it's not like that since despite being a low post user I’ve been here for a while, I saw the wiki, the various SSM and the immense amount of time and details that occurred to put them all together – while money or eventual speculation weren’t even on the horizon line. I write it down even if it should be so obvious and not even worth of mention, but I don’t want my post to feel like mindless bashing because it’s definitely not.

What I question (and what some of these “trolls” may as well) is not the passion and not the amount of work, but its actual contents and their real necessity, or lack thereof.

If you are a huge fan it could be worth buying, but I guess it depends on the level of love you have for the series.

If someone feels I've been wrong or misleading please feel free to correct me.

Even if they received checks from HBO, who has never bitched about their bosses?

...or about HBO? :dunno:

Heh. :) That said, if we did work for HBO in any capacity, we wouldn't really feel we could do any sort of commentary about the show, positive or negative. GRRM has said that he finds it hypocritical when an author takes the pile of money from Hollywood and then complains about the result, and overall I agree.

Such as?

I don't doubt that some will not like the book. Its style certainly isn't for everyone. Disliking the style and the way the information is presented is certainly a valid criticism if they truly don't like it.

Most of the reasons being given in the bad reviews are just completely absurd, and it's very clear they either dislike GRRM or Elio and Linda. Or both. It seems that positive reviews and comments are being downvoted for similar reasons. The whole response on there right now is ridiculous. "Fanfiction" is one of the "criticisms" that has been popping up repeatedly. I think George's response to comments about that on his blog is spot on: "Calling it fan fiction is , well, moronic."

The amount of work that went into this book is incredible. I personally love it. I also love that the information is presented in the style of the point of view of a maester. It's a great stylistic choice that is consistent with how backstory and history are conveyed in the novels themselves. The uncertainty of the information presented is a great touch too. Even if you hate the text, the artwork alone makes it a worthy purchase if you're a fan of the book series, IMO.

Basically, this.

Love how you refer to Elio and Linda as one entity.

Some of these people already had their minds made up that they weren't going to like the book before the even read it. They can bring in as many "facts" as they want. It is still trolling when you don't give something a fair chance and then just cherry pick things from the source material.

Just gonna throw in my two cents. I agree completely with most of the people here. Take those reviews well salted.

I spend $40 on the book yesterday (Canada price), and I gotta say it's worth every penny. The book itself is beautiful, well constructed, and each and every page - even those without illustrations or art - are great to look at.

Obviously don't go looking for this to be GRRM writing, but the writing is both believable and enthralling. It's a history book, and if you love the world that GRRM has created, I think it's a must have.

Heh. :) That said, if we did work for HBO in any capacity, we wouldn't really feel we could do any sort of commentary about the show, positive or negative. GRRM has said that he finds it hypocritical when an author takes the pile of money from Hollywood and then complains about the result, and overall I agree.

lol, yeah, I was joking. Nevertheless, I wouldn't find hypocritical to make some criticism, if such criticism is honest. When people work in something that involves a lot of people, not everybody agrees on the final result all the time.

But whatever, the best is ignore the trolls.

Archived