[TWOIAF Spoilers] Ranking the Targaryen Kings

Colonel Green

Well I couldn't say BloodRaven ;) He had an OK reign and he had to face may difficulties Great Spring sickness, Blackfyre, Westeros Dothraki and so on.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Surrounding yourself with the right people is definitely something that earns you points as a king and yeah he had to deal with a ton of calamities.

For me the interesting thing is that GRRM tragically kills off or forces the abdication of all the Targaryen Crown Princes/contenders for the Throne who would have been great Kings/Queens.

1. Jacaerys Velaryon.

2. Baelor Breakspear

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

4. Valarr/Matarys Targaryen

5. Duncan Prince of Dragonflies

6. Rhaenys Targaryen -"the Queen who never was".

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Baelon Targaryen

anyone else care to add to the list? Who would have been a great King than Aegon?

For me the interesting thing is that GRRM tragically kills off or forces the abdication of all the Targaryen Crown Princes/contenders for the Throne who would have been great Kings/Queens.

1. Jacaerys Velaryon.

2. Baelor Breakspear

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Baelon Targaryen

anyone else care to add to the list? Who would have been a great King than Aegon?

Heh? Valarr/Matarys over Rhaenys and Daemon? I don't even bother discussing about heinousRhaegar.

My rankings would be pretty similar to the majority I think.

Just to add to Viserys II's merits, it seems likely that he (and his wife of course) made steps towards joining with Dorne too, since his brother in law was the Prince Consort of Dorne.

1. Jacaerys Velaryon.

2. Baelor Breakspear

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Baelon Targaryen

Breakspear would have been the greatest King to ever rule. As to other great Kings: Baelor the Blessed might have actually been good if the Wylls hadn't been comic book villains. His early reign shows signs of brilliance, but after saving Aemon he went of his rockers. Aemon Targaryen ( father to Rhaenys) would also have been a good King I imagine.

My ranking at the top hasn't really changed:

1) Jaeherys I => You can't beat the guy

2) Daeron the Good => Brought Dorne into the fold. If only he could have reigned after a better king than Aegon IV

3) Viserys II => The man kept the Kingdom afloat for many years

4) Aegon I => Though I feel I have to heap more praise on his sisters than he himself. Especially Rhaenys was impressive, with her marriage politic

5) Aegon V => If only his marriage politics hadn't failed, he would have rivaled Daeron the Good imo. Sadly, the marriages did fail, as did Summerhall and eventually Tywin undid all his great reforms.

6) Maekar I => He strikes me as a better king than I had previously given him credit for

7) Baelor => His early reign was very promising. Fuck the Wylls for all the shit they were responsible for in TWOIAF. He could have been a great one.

8) Daeron I => My opinion of the Young Dragon was fairly low before this, but he actually turned out better than I expected. If only he hadn't tried to wed a sister of the Sealord, he might have won

Daeron also cleaned the court and the City Watch of corruption.

Aegon IV started spreading rumors that Daeron wasn't his when Daeron started calling him out on his shit.

For me the interesting thing is théâtre GRRM tragically kills off or forces

the abdication of all the Targaryen Crown Princes/contenders for the

Throne who would have been great Kings/Queens.

1. Jacaerys Velaryon.

2. Baelor Breakspear

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Baelon Targaryen

anyone else care to add to the list? Who would have been a great King

than Aegon?

From that list i only agree with Baelor and Valarr

Veltigar, about Baelor the Blessed (or Befuddled if you prefer, I'm easy). He did show some signs of being a good King yes (he negotiated Daeron's marriage, something the Maester mentions and then conveniently disregards when talking about Dorne joining the 7Ks, but anyway...) but he also showed signs of instability (walking barefoot from KL to Sunspear, whilst an impressive feat, is also pretty mad). So I agree that the Wyls (who are awful btw) made thigs worse, but there is no guarantee Baelor would have remained stable anyway. I agree though, that he laid the groundwork for the Dornish alliance.

ETA; I can also completely buy that Aegon IV killed his father. What a d*ck

1. Jacaerys Velaryon.

2. Baelor Breakspear

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Baelon Targaryen

I like your list, but the Rogue Prince would've been quite the choice for king... not sure how his reign would have been.

I don't understand why Viserys I didn't marry Rhaenyra off to Daemon in the first place, and then named both as co-heirs. The Hightowers and Aegon II could have still initiated the Dance, but there might have been stronger support for the Blacks (my team, and the team that ultimately won, as the rest of the Targs were descended from them).

They won?

No they lost...Simply Aegon II nominated Aegon III his heir

Yes, this sounds like something you would demand done to your heir...

It was at this time that Lord Corlys Velaryon - freed from the dungeons and pardoned, and now serving on the King's small council - advised Aegon to surrender and take the black. The king refused, however, and planned to give orders to have his young nephew's ear removed as a warning to Aegon the Younger's supporters.

It is quite clear that Aegon II "won" absolutely nothing, even if he outlived Rhaenyra. I'm not sure why you think he named Aegon III as his heir at all

Aegon II did not marry Aegon the Younger to Jaehaera. At least that's not stated in the book. He seems to be a hostage, nothing more. I guess the Greens-turned-Black on Aegon's council who poisoned him arranged that marriage after Aegon II was dead. Corlys would have gone through with that marriage before Lord Cregan arrived - to show Casterly Rock, Storm's End, and Oldtown that he actually wanted peace. After all, he already proposed that idea in TPatQ to Rhaenyra.

Aegon II intended to marry a daughter of Lord Borros, suggesting that he was intending to father more sons. If he ever named an heir after his return to KL - and this is not stated nor particularly likely - it would have been Jaehaera, not Aegon the Younger.

Naming him would have practically handed the Realm to the Blacks should he suddenly die - not to mention that it would be a declaration of weakness to proclaim the rival pretender king your heir...

Archived