[TWOIAF Spoilers] A thread for those who just cant wait: Spoil our Q!

Any information on Northern army sizes?

All we get is that Torrhen gathered 30k when he marched to meet Aegon. No other numbers. Though we can guess about Skagos - The Skags managed to kill the Lord of WF and "thousands" besides - they probably are pretty strong.

any more info about hardhome?

They said a Maester lived there and later disappeared. No mention or anything supernatural happening to them, which kinda add suspicion to my theory of the Maesters having to do with Hardhome and the Doom (but that's my own personal idea with no (yet) evidence to back it up)

All we get is that Torrhen gathered 30k when he marched to meet Aegon. No other numbers. Though we can guess about Skagos - The Skags managed to kill the Lord of WF and "thousands" besides - they probably are pretty strong.

It's also noted that he called his banners early, because he knew it took a long time to gather men in the North. That struck me as the authors trying to explain why there are still so many northern soldiers who did not march down with Robb.

They said a Maester lived there and later disappeared. No mention or anything supernatural happening to them, which kinda add suspicion to my theory of the Maesters having to do with Hardhome and the Doom (but that's my own personal idea with no (yet) evidence to back it up)

I think the idea is that this Maester liked living at among the watch and wildlings and thus returned there after making his report.

I think the idea is that this Maester liked living at among the watch and wildlings and thus returned there after making his report.

Yep, but maybe such Maester reported something odd (like the alleged dragon-being things, which names I forgot!) and that made the Citadel destroy them, although he didn't know or wasn't involved.

No confirmation of dragon eggs in Winterfell, the Maester's comments lead me to believe they could be there, though. He dismisses the notion much the same as he does other things supernatural which we know exist.

Some time ago, Ran said that TWOIAF would confirm something he'd been saying for a long time, and that he had no problem saying what that is once the book is out. Did he comment on that yet? Was it the fact that Jaime and Cersei aren't Aerys' bastards?

If he did, I haven't come across it yet.

I was wondering because this book in universe is being prepared for Robert Joffrey Tommen Baratheon does it contain a Baratheon family tree?

No, though the branch from Rhaelle to Joffrey/Tommen/Myrcella is depicted in the Targaryen tree.

Anything and everything about the Daynes and Visenya Targaryen, please. I need to know! I heard there was something about Visenya.

Also, do they cover any historical bastards?

Aegon IV's bastards by his nine mistresses are all listed.

Quoting myself because it's easier :)

- By Daena Targaryen: Daemon Waters, later named Daemon Blackfyre, born in 170AC

- By Falena Stokeworth: none acknowledged, but Jeyne Lothston was rumoured to have been Aegon's child

- By Megette (Merry Meg): Alysanne, Lily, Willow and Rosey, born in between 155AC and 159AC.

- By Cassella Vaith: no issue

- By Bellegere Otherys: Bellanora, Narha, Balerion, born in between 161AC and 171AC.

- By Barba Bracken: Aegor Rivers (Bittersteel), born in 172AC

- By Melissa Blackwood (Missy): Mya, Gwenys, Brynden (Bloodraven), born in between 172AC and 177AC (Bloodravens birth is specified to have been in 175AC)

- By Bethay Bracken: no issue

- By Jeyne Lothston: no issue (this is the girl rumoured to have been Aegon's own daugher).

- By Serenei of Lys (Sweet Serenei): Shiera

Aegon and Naerys had multiple pregnancies, btw. Daeron was born in 153AC. In 161AC, Naerys almost died from giving birth (stillborn twins, boys, IIRC). In 172AC she gave birth to twins again, a stillborn boy, and a girl named Daenerys, who lived.

Another question: Is it confirmed in the book that Vermax laid three eggs somewhere in Winterfell? Any idea if they remained hidden or were found by someone? Thanks!

That's a rumour. The maesters dismiss it, as there is no record of Vermax ever having laid eggs, leading the Citadel to believe Vermax was, in fact, male, and thus wouldn't lay eggs.

Yep, but maybe such Maester reported something odd (like the alleged dragon-being things, which names I forgot!) and that made the Citadel destroy them, although he didn't know or wasn't involved.

:shocked:

so a maester retourned to the citadel saying, yeah, everything just blowed up, what a petty, good to be back?

:shocked:

so a maester retourned to the citadel saying, yeah, everything just blowed up, what a petty, good to be back?

Or... he returned to deliver the info he recollected, the Maesters noticed something odd and destroyed HH.

ETA: maybe they discovered gunpower and kept it hidden for this kind of purposes.

I thought it was interesting that he sort of poo-poo'd the idea of Dragons being both sexes as well.

As others have said, Septon Barth was a wise man. His theories aren't popular in universe, but I tend to believe a lot of them even when Yendel doesn't. Maester Aemon believed he had it right.

I'd have an easier time believing the Vermax laid eggs thing if the source wasn't Mushroom. Dude wasn't even there.

It's also noted that he called his banners early, because he knew it took a long time to gather men in the North. That struck me as the authors trying to explain why there are still so many northern soldiers who did not march down with Robb.

I'd venture a guess (my personal guess, please note), based on numerous comments from Ran in the forum on this topic, that this is a line that Ran added himself, based on his personal interpretation of the sidebar (which Ran himself states did not give any indication of what Torhenn was thinking or what the full strength of the North is). And that Martin had no problem with the line, as it seems pretty reasonable, without necessarily taking it as an implied endorsement that Torhenn gathered his full strength. To Martin, this line could simply mean that Torhenn was a cautious guy who took his time deciding what to do and wanted to be prepared. Not that he went to extreme lengths to gather every possible sword in the North.

Any additional information about Bael the Bard? Or a date, perhaps?

If I recall (from a previous release of some wildling content), Bael seems to have been far more recent than Gendel and Gorne, who are dated at 3000 years ago. So Bael was somewhere before Aegon's Conquest, but after 3000 years ago. So probably 1000 -2000 years ago?

Archived