(TWoIaF Spoilers) Bloodraven

Django

There's a huge difference between ordinary gear and something like Dark Sister. Even if Egg was being generous, it makes no sense to send House Targaryen's only remaining Valyrian steel sword to the Wall with a disgrace criminal that Egg himself has condemned.

I realize it's not automatic but i am operating from the thought that BR wanted to go to the wall or at least felt that he had to bc of some ancient text or higher mystery or vision or whatever made him decide to begin a path that led to him becoming a tree. Also just a theory probably not true but if there is any truth to my theory suddenly the odds that DS plays some part in the upcoming story and therefore went to the wall with him do increase substantially.

Not saying it's likely but there has to be more to it than "and then egg had him arrested". This is the Red Keep after all. Nothing is ever that cut and dry. There's always a story behind the story and i think the Maester generally gives us the "official record" version in this book.

Not the "true" story.

I've always been the guy's greatest fan. I can only congratulate myself on my own great taste, he was even more amazing than I thought.

Ned Stark would have despised him, though.

It's pretty interesting that his mother seemed to be the only one of Aegon's nine mistresses (save for the Essosi one) who lasted a good number of years. I am also interested what became of his sisters. They seem to disappear from the text and while he's a Great Bastard, they aren't listed as such?

Maybe they died early, as illogical as that might sound?

Step aside, sweetcheeks. I am and have been Brynden's biggest fan. It is WELL known.

It's completely in character for him from what we know of him, though. (I'm going by Dunk & Egg and the main series, I still ddon't have TWOIAF.) I always got the impression that he was the kind of guy who didn't care for the notions of honor or for his reputation, and whose attitude was basically: "I'm not winning any popularity contests, people already hate me for what I am, what I look like and what I can do, so I'll just do all the dirty work to keep good, smart men like my beloved brother and my nephew on the throne and defend them from these idiots and their attempts to start another civil war."

That's what makes him an interesting and grey character. I think he is working "for the greater good" (even more so) now, but he is pretty ruthless. Though how ruthless, I'm not sure. There aren't that many characters in the series with that ruthless mentality who are motivated by what they see as a greater good and not just their birthright or family pride/status or revenge or glory or other personal reasons etc. Melisandre is another one, but BR probably knows much better what's going on than she does. Varys claims he's like that, but it seems very questionable at this point.

But....if we go back to D & E and pay close attention to their exchanges, I do see that BR liked Egg well (relative to how Bloodraven likes anyone), but I was disappointed that Egg did not seem to feel the same way in return. Egg seemed not to warm to BR, but I was holding out hope that he would-the guy saved his little pink behind.

Dunk, on the other hand, seemed to be a little more, mmm, let's say open to BR. He was very taken with Brynden's presence and I think could see in BR exactly what you describe above. Not that Dunk & BR had a bromance, but it was subtle...

I still say it was Egg who did something wrong and BR covered for him. This was Egg's theme: Fuck up by being overly precocious, and someone else saves his arse.

<-- Puh-lease. I am his greatest fan. I even had a friend of mine make me a cake with his sigil on top for my birthday.

.... Holy crap, I just saw myself say that. There is something profoundly wrong with me. :D

Clemency is good and fine, but Bittersteel wasn't just a mere rebel - he was effectively their leader. It's very strange that Bloodraven just let him live.

Speaking of which, I am very interested to see what happened in the second duel between the two.

OK, you might have pulled ahead of me with that one. I'll get back to you after my birthday next year...

Might be that Bloodraven didn't let him live. Might be that my crackhead theory that Bittersteel is Coldhands can finally redeem me.

But....if we go back to D & E and pay close attention to their exchanges, I do see that BR liked Egg well (relative to how Bloodraven likes anyone), but I was disappointed that Egg did not seem to feel the same way in return. Egg seemed not to warm to BR, but I was holding out hope that he would-the guy saved his little pink behind.

Dunk, on the other hand, seemed to be a little more, mmm, let's say open to BR. He was very taken with Brynden's presence and I think could see in BR exactly what you describe above. Not that Dunk & BR had a bromance, but it was subtle...

I still say it was Egg who did something wrong and BR covered for him. This was Egg's theme: Fuck up by being overly precocious, and someone else saves his arse.

Well Egg did marry a Blackwood so....

Like said I was taken back by Bloodraven's betrayal of Aenys. I can see that wanting to remove another Blackfyre might have been a favor for the realm but it was entirely correct by Aegon to send Bloodraven to the Wall for it.

OK, you might have pulled ahead of me with that one. I'll get back to you after my birthday next year...

Might be that Bloodraven didn't let him live. Might be that my crackhead theory that Bittersteel is Coldhands can finally redeem me.

I like the idea of Bittersteel being Coldhands but I think the flaws is in regards to the head. Bittersteel's head was supposedly removed and gilded and while I think that Coldhands still has a head on him.

So, this also made me re-evaluate Aerion's death. Was it truly a fortuitous accident, or did Bloodraven pre-emptively take care of an obvious future problem? Using their mutual interest in magic, no less. IIRC, Aerion's accident only happened after Daeron's death too, when the former became the Prince of Dragonstone, next in the line for the throne...

Not that I like Bloodraven any less for any of it - he was the hero that Westeros deserved and needed...

Next after him was Prince Aerion, known as Brightflame or Brightfire— a most puissant knight but cruel and capricious, and a dabbler in the black arts.

What does this mean?

It is either just what they say about people they dont like just to vilify them. Or people who are Wargs or have Visions or study the Higher Mysteries or Dabble with poisons and spells.

Like said I was taken back by Bloodraven's betrayal of Aenys. I can see that wanting to remove another Blackfyre might have been a favor for the realm but it was entirely correct by Aegon to send Bloodraven to the Wall for it.

I like the idea of Bittersteel being Coldhands but I think the flaws is in regards to the head. Bittersteel's head was supposedly removed and gilded and while I think that Coldhands still has a head on him.

Yeah....I could go with removed, b/c CH has the scarf covering his neck....but the gilded is kinda tough to overcome.

Archived