tWoW major casualties: Jaime

memeka

I would argue that Jaime's main conflict is discovering his own purpose. He's spent his life with kings, a sister, a father and a brother all pulling him apart by the limbs. What happens is a fractured character that is able to be chameleon depending on who he is with. That is what makes him such a memorable character.

Jaime already discovered his own purpose, which is to break his vows no more.

"We can safely say that Cersei and Jaime are not the mad king's kids. Joanna Lannister did not leave Casterly Rock for 3 years before they were born.

However, Joanna and the mad king were in the same place the year before Tywin was born."

Without checking the chronology, I cannot refute the statement regarding the timing of the Lannister siblings births.

However, I do remember that Jaime's aunt, Lady Genna (m. Emmon Frey) commented " . . . but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face and he would not speak to me for half a year." (p 503, AFFC, Bantam Dell Hardcover) It would be an irony if the best thing that Jaime did was to kill not only the Mad King, but also his father. King/Kinslayer.

You don't get redeemed from trying to kill an innocent boy.

I'm not saying he's automatically "evil" forever. I'm just saying: nothing can make up for what he did to Bran. Nothing. It doesn't matter in which situation he was - if you attempt the murder of an innocent child, you don't get redeemed.

It was Joffrey that orchestrated the attempted murder on Bran, IIRC, not Jaime

There's a million things left for Jaime to do, his is one of the most telegraphed arcs. He has to save Sansa Stark. He has to really make a king. He has to be judged by Bran and Dany. He has to tell the realm the children are his. He has to become hand as well as LCKG. He has to really tear down Cersei. He must kill five of his KG with his left hand. Be betrayed by the Riverlands. Be defeated by the Winter wolves.

There's a million things left for Jaime to do, his is one of the most telegraphed arcs. He has to save Sansa Stark. He has to really make a king. He has to be judged by Bran and Dany. He has to tell the realm the children are his. He has to become hand as well as LCKG. He has to really tear down Cersei. He must kill five of his KG with his left hand. Be betrayed by the Riverlands. Be defeated by the Winter wolves.

I'm sure you, and many others, wish for that. As there were many that wished Robb to defeat the Lannisters.

However, I think one of the main points in this topic is that Jaime will die before the battle dragons vs. others. He's also in a ... predicament ... currently, and while certainly beloved by many (me included), there are characters that are more important, or with clues that they will be present near the end.

Arya, Bran, Jon Snow - have a lot going

Davos + Rickon need to get back.

Stannis - (Dany needs to prove him a fake AA) - so his quest in the North continues until Dany reaches Westeros.

Cersei - she will still be around until the death of Tommen and Myrcella. (There are many that believe Myrcella will become queen after Tommen's death - not necessarly. She can die in Dorne before Tommen!)

Dany (and her helpers) - a lot going for her still, even until she comes to Westeros.

Tyrion especially.

Aegon - probably will be on the rise, until Dany comes to Westeros.

Sansa - she is so much behind... needs a lot of screen time.

So, I see several important plots here:

* The North - Stannis vs. Boltons, Jon Snow and NW and wildlings; Stannis on the rise.

* Dany's Voyage - still has many things to solve with the dothraki, slavers, Tyrion, Victarion; then set sail; then do stuff in Westeros

* Sansa - gaining power in the Riverlands + The Vale

* Arys - coming back to Westeros

* Dorne + Aegon - gaining power in the stormlands

* Cersei - becoming more tyrannical while many enemies start to circle around KL

In all of this, Jaime's role, while unknown yet, seem less important, and now I think we need to basically think in practical terms how much screen-time can each get in order to get an ending in 2 books. From this practical point of view, he's dispensable.

One major thing why I think Jaime will not die anytime soon is because until now he was pretty much useless for the plot. I really doubt that GRRM will kill him without having him affect the plot in a major way. His 3-book transformation seems like a build-up for me.

I feel like Jaime will be one of the few remaining main characters in the series. He is a very grey character that has done some atrocious things, but has also been growing more selfless. I think having him survive will allow for a good character to come out on top for a change, but a good character with some major faults and past crimes. Bittersweet, in a way.

I'm sure you, and many others, wish for that. As there were many that wished Robb to defeat the Lannisters.

Nothing to do with hoping, the set up has been blatant and foreshadowing abounds. One does not go and make a parallel character and call them the kingmaker unless they mean for the main to very significantly make a king.

You don't get redeemed from trying to kill an innocent boy.

I'm not saying he's automatically "evil" forever. I'm just saying: nothing can make up for what he did to Bran. Nothing. It doesn't matter in which situation he was - if you attempt the murder of an innocent child, you don't get redeemed.

Child killing is very common in Westeros though.

When Tywinn Lannister destroyed the Reynes and Tarbecks he didn't spare their children.

Nor did Areys when he put all Darklyns and their relatives to the sword after the defiance of Duskendale.

In fact I would dare to say most Lord of Westeros think of it as necessary to root out hostile houses.

If you spare your enemy's children, their sons are oblieged to take revenge as grown ups and their daughters can be used to claim conquered lands by means of marriage.

I hope Jaime kills a Dragon and become forever known as 'the Dragonslayer' rather than the Kingslayer.

In the future, when people sing about the Song of Ice and Fire, he will be remembered as defeating the evil Dragon King and the Dragon of his Wicked Witch-child, Daenerys.

Archived