[Spoilers?] Was that Blackfyre that I saw wielded by...

Lefty0024

Oh, I don't think it would be known that Aerion stole the sword. More that his general behaviour was probably vile enough at the time to be noted. And a man known for his vile deeds is able to kill a POW for a sword, especially if he would get the chance to upstage his valiant younger brother.

Probably, but since the murder of Haegon seems to be - euhm, frowned upon - Aerion might have chosen to keep the sword hidden.

All speculation of course. Heck, for all we know some Mormont killed Haegon, stole the sword and renamed it Longclaw. Not very likely, but not entirely impossible.

Pretty sure Blackfyre was a two-hander, whereas Longclaw is a hand-and-a-half (or Bastard) sword.

Pretty sure Blackfyre was a two-hander, whereas Longclaw is a hand-and-a-half (or Bastard) sword.

Actually, they are both Bastardswords ;) Not that the Mormont theory has ever been likely. It being in the family for a reported 5 centuries.

Blackfyre and/or Dark Sister could have been lost at Summerhall. Some time ago I read a theory that the reason for Rhaegar's frequent visits there, was to look for it/them.

This is supported by the fact that while we know normal fire can't harm Valyrian Steel, Summerhall apparently involved Wildfire. We are at one point told that Wildfire is similar to dragonfire.

Targ cloak

marriage certificate of some kind

silver harp

dragon egg

Torrhen's crown

Aegon's crown

Blackfyre

Dark Sister

Jon's umbilical cord

ADN certificate

the Jade Monkey

Ashara/Brandon sex tape

...and Lyanna's bones.

No soft cushion for the Iron Throne?

This is supported by the fact that while we know normal fire can't harm Valyrian Steel, Summerhall apparently involved Wildfire. We are at one point told that Wildfire is similar to dragonfire.

Yes, but we know from the books that wildfire burns with a lesser flame than dragonfire. We also know that Valyrian steel is able to withstand dragonfire (Aegon's pyre with BF on it was lit by Vhagar), so it's unlikely for the sword to have been lost there.

Blackfyre and/or Dark Sister could have been lost at Summerhall. Some time ago I read a theory that the reason for Rhaegar's frequent visits there, was to look for it/them.

I like it. And then it could easily be in Lyanna's tomb. Particularly if Rhaegar thought it would be needed to fight the Others.

No soft cushion for the Iron Throne?

Adding a soft cushion to the list...oh, and rabbit ears!

Yes, but we know from the books that wildfire burns with a lesser flame than dragonfire. We also know that Valyrian steel is able to withstand dragonfire (Aegon's pyre with BF on it was lit by Vhagar), so it's unlikely for the sword to have been lost there.

Yeah but it's possible they used spells or whatever that strengthened then flames. Basically if Martin wants one of the swords to be lost there "a wizard did it" actually works as an explanation.

In all the Blackfyre Rebellions that the Golden Company participated in (1,3,4, and 5), some part of the Company managed to retreat successfully. If they wanted to make sure they maintained possession of Blackfyre for the next claimant, they had that capability. I think it is highly likely the GC still has it.

I just don't like this idea that Bittersteel has this magically property of 'reclaiming/fleeing with Blackfyre' every time a Blackfyre Rebellion fails. Especially know that we know that all Blackfyre pretenders who should have wielded the sword were either captured or killed in battle.

I just don't like this idea that Bittersteel has this magically property of 'reclaiming/fleeing with Blackfyre' every time a Blackfyre Rebellion fails. Especially know that we know that all Blackfyre pretenders who should have wielded the sword were either captured or killed in battle.

That's what squires are for.

Hm. This one guy manages to keep surviving and reclaim the sword each time they are defeated. Sound fishy to anyone else?

Archived