What do you wish was more elaborated?

the death of dragons... i understand not developing stuff like the Long Night, but the death of the last dragons seem like an important, recent, and well recorded event..

I agree that the death of dragons received a surprisingly brief coverage, but there could be an interesting in-world explanation for that. If the Citadel had something to do with it in any way, a maester wouldn't want to delve to much into it, pondering all the suspects and reproducing whatever infamous version of the tale Mushroom may have had to offer. An honest analysis of the situation would lead to uncomfortable questions such as who prepared the poison that the dragonbane suposedly gave to the dragons.

I agree that the death of dragons received a surprisingly brief coverage, but there could be an interesting in-world explanation for that. If the Citadel had something to do with it in any way, a maester wouldn't want to delve to much into it, pondering all the suspects and reproducing whatever infamous version of the tale Mushroom may have had to offer. An honest analysis of the situation would lead to uncomfortable questions such as who prepared the poison that the dragonbane suposedly gave to the dragons.

i wasn´t expecting an honest analysis on the issue (since i believe in the citadel conspiracy), on the contrary.. at least some bullshit case of how dragons extinguished: blame Aegon III for hating dragons after his mother was killed by one in front of him, or some "natural" reason for it.. but saying notjhing seems weak for a history book.

Tbh I'm not a fan of anything Essos. I wish they expanded on the kings guard. Specifically Aemon the Dragonknight and Arthur Dayne. I feel like I'm the only person that wonders what the relationship between The children of Aegon III (Daeron I, Baelor the blessed) and the kids of Viserys II ( Aegon V and Aemon the Dragonknight). Especially so soon after the Dance.

More house words!!!

I haven't yet finished the book, but for what I've seen, there is some obvious dismissal of certain events, specially magical events. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Bit less Targaryens, bit more... everyone else, really. But especially the big, ancient kingdoms of Westeros (North, Westerlands and Vale mostly).

Albeit I do agree that, for an event that completely changed the power dynamics of Westeros (as Aegon V found out), the death of the dragons is a bit glossed over.

More of the Long Night, the North (Lords of Winterfell post-Conquest). There were too many "The Kings of Winter did this" and not enough "King Rickard did this, Lord Ellard did that....".

I agree on the death of the dragons. We don't even know the name of the last dragon for example.

Which Targaryen married into the Tarths? I looked for it in the tree and didn't see it, unless I missed it. I have an idea, but it seemed odd to tease it and then leave it out of the tree.

What ultimately happened to the surviving dragons after the Dance?

I'd also like to know how exactly one becomes a SotM, and how people think Lyanna actually died.

There's a ton of information in the novels thanks to Arya and Jaqen, so yeah, the maesters know very little. Ther has been no maester who apprenticed at the House of Black and White, to say the least. ;)

The interesting thing about the death of the dragons is what is not said, really. We don't even hear that Aegon III even reputedly poisoned the dragons, just that he is remembered that way because the last Targaryen died during his reign in 153 AC.

That in itself is interesting, because Yandel would only omit that if the dragons were actually poisoned - note how he does not really portray maesters or the Citadel in a bad light at all (they did not have anything to do with the sudden death of the High Septon during the reign of Maegor, and the circumstances around the death of Lord Quellon's maester are unclear). And then there is the fact that Grand Maester Munkun served as only regent and Hand for quite some time during the later Regency. The fact that he alone survived all that backstabbing and scheming during the Regency suggests that he was not exactly on a level with Pycelle...

We don't know yet if any dragons hatched during those times, but there must have, since the only dragon the Citadel could have poisoned then was Rhaena's Morning alone (Sheepstealer, and the Cannibal had disappeared, and Silverwing was wild). The last dragon died a year after it hatched, we know that, too, suggesting that perhaps its parents had been poisoned - which would explained why she was crippled.

This poison most likely would have been administered during the Regency. Munkun clearly could have spun his own web behind the backs of the other regents vying for power.

Which Targaryen married into the Tarths? I looked for it in the tree and didn't see it, unless I missed it. I have an idea, but it seemed odd to tease it and then leave it out of the tree.

Share your idea please :)

Daella married Dunk, and their daughter is Lord Selwyn's mother. It is known. With Dunk never bearing a house name, their child would possibly even be named Targaryen.

I imagine a double wedding Dunk/Daella, and Egg/Betha in 220, following Dunk and Egg's heroic deeds during the Third Rebellion.

Or Daella/Rhae married into House Tarth in the 210s, with Dunk's daughter from another woman marrying Daella/Rhae's son in the late 220s.

Maegor seems to be too young to father a child which could be a parent of Lord Selwyn's. Although Brienne's mother could have been a surviving child of Jenny's and Duncan's - if they had any, that is not clear yet. But it seems that this branch of House Targaryen was completely eradicated at Summerhall. If Maegor still lived, he would have been there, too. And Aemon certainly was.

For that matter, all the Targaryen marriages: Rhaena (if she had a third marriage), Aerea, Rhalla, Daella and Rhae. I'm guessing that either Daella or Rhae married into House Tarth, but Rhaena, Aerea or Rhalla...

Also, I had been hoping for the names of all of Daemon Blackfyre's children, and learning how Maelys was related to Daemon I (was he a grandson of Daemon I, and if so, through which child? Or was he a greatgrandson?).

The name of Maron's heir by Daenerys, at least, and that of Doran's mother.

Having seen the family tree in the book, I'm wondering where the six Hightower daughters of Rhaena ended up, and Elaena's Penrose children (we can construct the Plumm tree reasonably). I understand fully well that this couldn't have fit in the family tree, but I had been hoping for a quick mention in text.

Archived