(Spoilers all on dragons). Speculation now dragons were in Westeros before the doom?

Oh, GRRM has always said that. That Dragons used to be everywhere during the Dawn Age or earlier.

The interesting part was pointing out "we're not sure if dragons are "from" Valyria because Asshai says they're from the Shadow Lands first, then *nested* in Valyria"...but if so, why aren't there more dragons in Asshai? They do say that dragonbone and even dragon eggs can be found in Asshai but...dragonbone can be found on any continent. Asshai might just have been another high concentration.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything in my reply to the title but couldn't it be as simple as a dragon deciding to fly west and eventually nesting somewhere in westeros?

In tWOIAF, its hinted that perhaps the Cannibal(one of the dragons living in the lair at dragonstone) is one such dragon.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything in my reply to the title but couldn't it be as simple as a dragon deciding to fly west and eventually nesting somewhere in westeros?

In tWOIAF, its hinted that perhaps the Cannibal(one of the dragons living in the lair at dragonstone) is one such dragon.

don't worry. I actually never heard anything about it before so it sort of surprised me when I read this.

i thought it was there before the Targaryens... notice Yendell doesn´t say Valyrians.

another dragonlord could have left eggs in dragonstone before the targaryens settled there.

i thought it was there before the Targaryens... notice Yendell doesn´t say Valyrians.

another dragonlord could have left eggs in dragonstone before the targaryens settled there.

Right iirc the targaryens weren't the first on dragonstone. It could have easily been brought there some other dragonlords from the freehold much earlier. It could have been born there or flown their on its own. I was just pointing out that the Cannibal was a dragon not brought over by the Targaryens. I guess I worded it kind of weird. But yea the cannibal's origin is a mystery, and its wild and eats other dragons. There is another thread about the dragons that specualtes that its of a different blood/family than the other dragons and that's why it eats dragons.

It ties to my regional time distortions theory. Asshai created a zone where time ran faster, perhaps to isolate themselves, or perhaps that was just a secondary effect. Time moved much faster in Asshai, so as dragons naturally travelled around the world over the millennia, whenever they happened to pass into Asshai, to the outside world they quickly grew old and died. Explains moon phase incongruities and Ibbenese speciation as well.

Archived