House Tully, or, the Muppets Go Medieval

Could you let us in on this? I think I'm not the only one who's lost. Did I miss an awesome theory?

No, you didn't miss anything. :) It's just that I've seen the names in one thread discussing MUSH long before WoIaF came out, and everybody was like "Elmo, seriously? Kermit, really?!" and I had no idea what they mean and just assumed that they thought the names sound stupid (which they do; no wonder considering they originated with muppets). And yesterday I've noticed the thread which had Elmo and Kermit in title and posters were making fun of it again, so I made research... and ROFL.

Elmo is actually a very old name from Latin, and a familiar form of Anselm and Elmer. In Greek it means lovable or friendly, in Italian it is guardian. Only in America do we think it started with a furry red monster who lives on Sesame Street and likes to be tickled. :D

Kermit is Irish/Celtic and the baby name book in my lap says it's a form of Dermot/Dermit. The book lists the meaning as "free from envy" though I'm not sure that's right. Sure fits Kermit the Frog though. I've never know him to be jealous.

Yeah, muppet Tullys are fun!

ETA: the entry for Grover says that it's English for grove. How uninteresting. Anybody got a better baby name book than this one I have?

Kermit is Irish/Celtic and the baby name book in my lap says it's a form of Dermot/Dermit. The book lists the meaning as "free from envy" though I'm not sure that's right. Sure fits Kermit the Frog though. I've never know him to be jealous.

Not to mention the color of envy is said to be green. Those ironic bastards.

I found it really jarring.

Fair enough if it was an easter egg one off mention but it wasn't. To actually expand these muppets into the actual fake histories kind of made it harder for me to read. I think it was a mistake on the part of the writers.

I found it really jarring.

Fair enough if it was an easter egg one off mention but it wasn't. To actually expand these muppets into the actual fake histories kind of made it harder for me to read. I think it was a mistake on the part of the writers.

Yeah. It feels cheap to me. I know this is all fiction and everything, but if we're supposed to take this somewhat seriously, that's hard to do with Muppet names for a major house.

Archived