[TWOIAF Spoilers] Dothraki Discussion

Mithras

Yes, warrior women do exist. I'm not denying that. They existed in the real world as well. But entire cities where 100% of the warriors are women and 99% of the men are gelded? Really? And yes, I know this isn't real life, but it is rather realistic for high fantasy, and so it's safe to assume that human biology still applies in this situation.

Part of Westeros' appeal is it's authentic for 99% of itself then veers in BIZARRE directions.

It's why no one believing in the Others is believable.

You have the angry mean Scotsmen and Wildmen and just above them, frigging Sauron and his legions.

Yes, warrior women do exist. I'm not denying that. They existed in the real world as well. But entire cities where 100% of the warriors are women and 99% of the men are gelded? Really? And yes, I know this isn't real life, but it is rather realistic for high fantasy, and so it's safe to assume that human biology still applies in this situation.

Nobody seems to dispute the fact that Leng is ruled over by a God Empress or that the Five Forts exist, yet they're even farther away than the Bone Mountains. And it's not like the cities are some isolated area that nobody ever goes to; they control the only major land routes across the Bone Mountains.

The existence of the warrior women of Shamyriana, Kayakayanaya and Bayasabhad can be adequately explained by the unique conditions in which they fight. They only have to defend some of the most heavily fortified sites in world, where the geography does a significant portion of the heavy lifting for them, and they have to repel attacks from mainly cavalry armies with little to no siege engines. It's not like they have armies of amazons clashing in the field with the Dothraki and the Jogos Nhai.

Yandel's (and other historians) mistake may be in assuming that the situation was the same in the ancient Patrimony of Hyrkoon. We have seen that assuming that social and military issues have remained unchanged for millennia is a common issue in Westeros, and maybe beyond.

The present day fortress cities in the Bone Mountains may bare no more resemblance to the Patrimony of Hyrkoon of old than Norvos or Qohor do to Old Valyria.

Archived