Favourite Women

naseridrl

I'm meh on Rhaenys. Yeah, she probably died awfully, but it was no worse than what the Targs would have to the Dornish if they'd succeeded. If the Targs are "badass" for subjugating people, the Martells are badass for successfully standing up to the would-be oppressors. She got what was coming to her.

I can't agree with that. It would be like saying Asha Greyjoy got what was coming to her if Clayton Suggs burned her alive. Both she and Rhaenys participated in aggressive wars, but both seem to be half-decent people.

I can't agree with that. It would be like saying Asha Greyjoy got what was coming to her if Clayton Suggs burned her alive. Both she and Rhaenys participated in aggressive wars, but both seem to be half-decent people.

Yeah, there was a lot more to Rhaenys than "Burn them all!" or at least that is how I read it. Seems she had a knack for forging alliances, since it is mentioned she organised a series of marriage pacts between various families. She obviously knew they had to try and bind together kingdoms that had formerly warred for hundreds or thousands of years.

Yeah, there was a lot more to Rhaenys than "Burn them all!" or at least that is how I read it. Seems she had a knack for forging alliances, since it is mentioned she organised a series of marriage pacts between various families. She obviously knew they had to try and bind together kingdoms that had formerly warred for hundreds or thousands of years.

What we've heard of Rhaenys suggests that she was (mostly) a nice person. If she was killed in battle, well that's what happens when you go to war. If she was crippled when her dragon fell, likewise. If she was executed swiftly after capture, feelings were running high. But, she's almost the last person who could merit years of torture (assuming anyone merits such a thing).

Why, all of them!

I've always been a fan of Visenya, but now I can't decide whether her or Rheanys were more badass. Alysanne was also pretty great and it's obvious that she made Jehearys's reign the success that it was. I loved Eleana being the shadow master-of-coin and Deana's defiance. Or Rheanys, the Queen-that-never-was. They're all great!

Rheanys is my new favourite, however.

Well, Zhea Zorseface should be terrible to behold. After all, she is named after Arya...

Lol, yes that's the first thing I thought of when I read Zorseface, I thought if Arya. If Arya becomes half that proficient and terrifying wherever she ends up is in for some serious trouble.

Many interesting women... Absolute favorites, Nymeria and Xanda. And Visenya's image actually got better a lot, didn't expect that!

On Rhaenys' marriage policies, am I the only one who thinks that the marriage of Torrhen's daughter is awfully close to a forced marriage? Her family was obviously coerced into accepting it and her own consent seems to have been totally irrelevent (the maester doesn't even care to spare a thought to wonder about it...)

I think Rhaenys had the right idea with the marriages and such binding the different former realms together more closely. But by using force and going against the wishes of an entire family seems like a terrible way to get more cohesion and have everyone work together willingly. It's also entirely possible the Arryn's didn't want it either they just maybe reaised less of a fuss given they'd had more contact with Targ dragons than the Starks.

Plus how old was Ronnel? Maybe although his mother was regent she wasn't in control and the Targs just made th choice for her.

The Zhea Zorseface stuff reminds me how much the moonsingers interest me. They seem to have a very prominent role in various places in Essos and were also involved in the founding of Braavos. I wonder if through Dany we'll learn more about these priestesses.

Visenya of course! Just the fact that many women had very good roles in establishing the Seven Kingdoms. And it does make me more anxious if by the end of it all, women will be ruling Kings Landing, Winterfell, etc... And that the male lineage will be abolished.

Anyone else really wishing for "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" to be released really soon??

Many interesting women... Absolute favorites, Nymeria and Xanda. And Visenya's image actually got better a lot, didn't expect that!

On Rhaenys' marriage policies, am I the only one who thinks that the marriage of Torrhen's daughter is awfully close to a forced marriage? Her family was obviously coerced into accepting it and her own consent seems to have been totally irrelevent (the maester doesn't even care to spare a thought to wonder about it...)

Yes, Rhaenys was crossing a line there. True that all marriages are forced marriages but she has no place interfering with the family life of her Lords. And who are the Targs who marry sister to brother to keep the blood pure to make the Starks marry an Andal bloodline when its clear that even in the contemporary Westeros they don't do that. Maybe once in a blue moon, the Wandering Wolf may have been best friends with the Rogers if they are Andal. And it was a daughter who would never inherit Winterfell.

Archived