Where's the Dayne info? And the FM?

Briefly,

I was really looking forward some more info on House Dayne. My crackpot theories hinge on the information being withheld! Their minimal inclusion in a book documenting the history of GRRth only further fuels my belief that the Daynes are crucial to much of the prophecy and secrecy in the story.

sidenote:

only a mention of the FM, and I'm not sure if the rumored origin of the organization is new or I just overlooked it (it's juicy nonetheless). Again, this tidbit serves only to polish my tinfoil hat. (index lists the wrong page for FM, by the way)

No one would have wanted more Dayne info than Linda and I, believe you me, but alas, George did not allow us to pry it out of him.

But we do have a little bit, at least... and that gorgeous Sword of the Morning depiction by José Cabrera. :)

Well, at least the Daynes get all the best names and monikers - Dorian Dayne, the Sword of the Evening, Samwell Dayne the Starfire...

Funny, how Samwell turned-out to be such a storied name and all of them except for our Sam were bad-ass warriors ;).

No one would have wanted more Dayne info than Linda and I, believe you me, but alas, George did not allow us to pry it out of him.

But we do have a little bit, at least... and that gorgeous Sword of the Morning depiction by José Cabrera. :)

The bit where the maester says that they are little more than their sword had me chuckling. They have great nicknames though 'The Evening Star' and 'Starfire' are great.

Is the info spoilerish? Does their house words are something like "we defeated the Others with Dawn"?

Something somewhat more conventional like "We End the Night" could be deemed similarly spoilerish, though only if the name of their sword is spoilerish anyway.

Mottos and heraldry often uses bad puns, so maybe something like "We End All Nights" for a knight/night punning threat. Somehow though I get the impression that the Dayne's would be more boast than threat, so I'd go for "The Day is Ours", or "We Carry the Day" which are Dawn-ish, suitably boastful, and have the day/Dayne thing.

I really wonder why there is so much secrecy about House Dayne, and whether there actually is something to that, or that it's just never meant to be a relevant house or a relevant part of the story, and that George just don't have too much to say about the Daynes.

Archived