TWOIAF only serves to confirm the great flaw of the series

Aryss

Personally I think the biggest flaw is how static Westeros stayed for thousands of years. At the start of the books virtually every house has one seat. Now a few years book time later we have multiple cases of houses like the Freys now owning two seats (Riverun and the Twins). So how come this didn't happen for the last thousand years.

In reality you would end up with someone becoming like the Hapsburgs and owning land all over the place from inheritence.

Personally I think the biggest flaw is how static Westeros stayed for thousands of years. At the start of the books virtually every house has one seat. Now a few years book time later we have multiple cases of houses like the Freys now owning two seats (Riverun and the Twins). So how come this didn't happen for the last thousand years.

In reality you would end up with someone becoming like the Hapsburgs and owning land all over the place from inheritence.

A good point. The leading houses would have been more likely to have cadet branches with their own seats and not just on the territory of the main branch of the family. There should be Starks in the Westerlands and Hightowers in the Vale, if the author was following a European feudal model. Great families would be across kingdoms as well as ruling their own territory. There's a trade off though and I accept that as a fantasy series, the author cannot reflect every eventuality through the creation of his own world.

I think there should be more cities or established towns on Westeros, fertile Western and Central Europe certainly had a number of decent settlements by 1300 with even a few starting universities, in the Cities the trades would have held a stronger sway on the ruling families and even a few trader families would be given lands and titles for their local king to access their wealth or ships. If you look at westeros flipped over it is essentially the shape of The island of Ireland attached to the shape of Scotland (a tweak is made at Dorne and The Neck)

Cities? Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Cork, Limerick with large towns at Inverness, Stirling, Perth, Ayr, Lisburn, Bangor, etc etc there certainly should be more settlements on Westeros. If the lands are of a similar scale.

A nice touch might have been wiped out cities as a result of the long night or the Targaryen takeover? But we have what we have.

Something I find odd is how feudal structure is so rigid. Like people being loyal to the death to the dude in charge with the unloyal party being a minority.

Since the thread is about Dorne... How not a single lord kneelt to Aegon during the campaing? Sunspear was doing nothing to prevent the carnage, surrendering would pretty much raise your ranks with Aegon and protect their lands.

Something I find odd is how feudal structure is so rigid. Like people being loyal to the death to the dude in charge with the unloyal party being a minority.

Since the thread is about Dorne... How not a single lord kneelt to Aegon during the campaing? Sunspear was doing nothing to prevent the carnage, surrendering would pretty much raise your ranks with Aegon and protect their lands.

Because Aegon can't permanently stay in Dorne to protect the lands of the Lords who knelt to him. Once he left Dornish rebels would show up and be a much worse threat then anything Aegon could do in Kingslanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived