[TWOIAF spoilers] "Burned-men" worshiped Nettles?

bobbechk

I immediately jumped in the Nettles boat when I read it. I was always curious about her fate.

I could easily see the clansmen calling her a "fire witch". They referred to Tyrion as "halfman" and IIRC they're the only ones that call him that. It's reasonable to assume that was bc of their more primitive language and "fire witch" could be their ineloquent way of calling her a dragon rider.

I think that was clear if you read TPatQ, and made the connection. Especially, as you pointed out, she flew across the Bay of Crabs towards the Vale, and she is the only dragonrider unaccounted for in the Dance.

How it plays in the modern era? A girl riding a dragon commanding a following of clansmen, we have a certain Targaryen who matches that description that Tyrion backs.

I think the gifts could have been akin to the kind Varamyr got from other wildlings, food for starters which she needed to survive, or anything of value taken from raids. Sheep would also make sense since she usually fed Sheepstealer herself.

I read the fire-witch passage again this weekend. Actually I think it is hinting that the 'gifts' were body parts right? It suggests that sacrifices to her were the boys giving their own body parts.... So that could be why they call her 'witch' if she is in the cave doing blood magic with fingers and toes......

• 4 months later...

I read Alys into this when I read the little box in TWOIAF. So I searched and gound this thread and noticed the dragon element.

Crash! That was a pot cracking. What if the dragon wasn't a dragon like Sheepstealer but the child of Aemond One-Eye?!? And what if Timmet is not only the true heir to the Vale, but also a descendant of Good ol' One-Eye?!?

C'mon... tell me you can't feel this theory!

I read the fire-witch passage again this weekend. Actually I think it is hinting that the 'gifts' were body parts right? It suggests that sacrifices to her were the boys giving their own body parts.... So that could be why they call her 'witch' if she is in the cave doing blood magic with fingers and toes......

Fingers and toes would be mere crumbs to Sheepstealer. Livestock would have made more sense.

Fingers and toes would be mere crumbs to Sheepstealer. Livestock would have made more sense.

Now, if the "dragon" was not an actual dragon, but the son of Aemond and Alys, well fingers and toes... and eyes would be perfect...

Archived