Political Maps of the Seven Kingdoms

creganstark

I have created political maps with the assumed lands of the noble houses of each of the nine regions, based on the maps in TWOIAF. I only included the noble houses of the "highest rank" of the feudal system, so I didn't mark the lands of the Tallharts and Glovers, which are masterly houses sworn directly to the Starks, the lands of the Costaynes, Mullendores and other vassals of the Hightowers, or the Kennings, who are vassals of the Harlaws.

http://imgur.com/a/8Gx5t

REVISED MAPS:

REVISED MAP OF THE NORTH: http://imgur.com/NS9ImKL

REVISED MAP OF THE RIVERLANDS: http://imgur.com/8DC42MG

REVISED MAP OF THE STORMLANDS: http://imgur.com/fkA21cW

REVISED MAP OF THE VALE: http://imgur.com/D4ykDmw

REVISED MAP OF THE REACH: http://imgur.com/Fu2Xr24

ALL REVISED MAPS (including WESTERLANDS and CROWNLANDS and original Dorne and Iron Islands maps) in one place: http://imgur.com/a/uKb48

I have created political maps with the assumed lands of the noble houses of each of the nine regions, based on the maps in TWOIAF. I only included the noble houses of the "highest rank" of the feudal system, so I didn't mark the lands of the Tallharts and Glovers, which are masterly houses sworn directly to the Starks, the lands of the Costaynes, Mullendores and other vassals of the Hightowers, or the Kennings, who are vassals of the Harlaws.

http://imgur.com/a/8Gx5t

Come on! I was about to make one! :cool4: Good work :)

Sadly, I think there are far too many errors.

Just on the North:

1. The forest west of the Neck is probably Flint, as the Reeds appear to control only the Neck.

2. I think it very likely that Cerwyn lands are not that big. Your map has the Cerwyns have more land than the Ryswells.

3. The Lonely Hills, AKA the lands east of Long Lake, are confirmed to be Umber lands.

Also, far too many missing Houses (Goodbrooks, etc)

Come on! I was about to make one! :cool4: Good work :)

Sadly, I think there are far too many errors.

Just on the North:

1. The forest west of the Neck is probably Flint, as the Reeds appear to control only the Neck.

2. I think it very likely that Cerwyn lands are not that big. Your map has the Cerwyns have more land than the Ryswells.

3. The Lonely Hills, AKA the lands east of Long Lake, are confirmed to be Umber lands.

Also, far too many missing Houses (Goodbrooks, etc)

Thanks for the feedback!

I would be happy if you could tell me, what errors i may have made in the other maps, but on the North, I have reasons for the things you pointed out:

1. The crannogmen were always mentioned as a kind of barrier between the North and the southern realms, so I thought they would control the area from the Bite all the way to the Sunset Sea. Also, I think the forest is part of the Neck.

The Flints of Flint's Finger would control too much territory otherwise, them bein a junior branch of the house.

2. I'm not quite happy with the Cerwyn area myself, but are mentioned as one of the most important Stark bannermen in the appendix of A Game of Thrones, so I had to give them more land.

3. Thanks, I knew that but forgot to adjust the border accordingly on this map because the hills are not marked on the map.

Regarding the Goodbrooks, I only included the houses that were mentioned as "principal bannermen" in the appendices and the houses who's castles we know the location of. Otherwise there would be far too many houses. I think it's likely that many of the houses we know less about are "second tier" houses, i.e. vassals of a more important noble house (one of the principal bannermen). The Goodbrooks for example are sworn to House Vance, i think.

When Robbb is crossing the Blue Fork(on the west side) the villages of Sevenstreams and HagsMire are said to be Frey property.

"If we cannot cross the Blue Fork, we'll have to go around it, through Sevenstreams and Hag's Mire"

to me that sounds like they are in the area of the headwater of the Blue Fork, not on the west bank.

"If we cannot cross the Blue Fork, we'll have to go around it, through Sevenstreams and Hag's Mire"

to me that sounds like they are in the area of the headwater of the Blue Fork, not on the west bank.

All the way up the Blue Fork they rode, past Sevenstreams where the river unraveled into a confusion of rills and brooks, then through Hag's Mire, where glistening green pools waited to swallow the unwary and the soft ground sucked at the hooves of their horses like a hungry babe at its mother's breast

-Cat Tully

Robb and his host are coming from Riverrun so they would be on the West side of the Blue Fork

"Principal bannermen" in the AGOT appendix? You can't use that. It says the Dustins and Ryswells are a minor Northern House and that the Cleganes are important Lannister bannermen (hint: they're not). GRRM changed his mind, and apparently that's what he has done with the Goodbrooks. The smallfolk say Lord Goodbrook disobeyed Hoster Tully, so it seems that the Goodbrooks are first tier bannermen.

Also, the Drumms of Old Wyk style themselves Lords of Old Wyk and the Goodbrothers style themselves Lords of Great Wyk. I think the Greyjoys have only six primary bannermen (Harlaw, Goodbrother, Orkmont, Blacktyde, Drumm, Saltcliffe) and the rest are sworn to one of these Houses or to Pyke directly.

I figured you were also working based on castle names?
These are great maps, and thank you for making them but;

Crownlands: The Wendwaters control less land, and it would be a good idea to give House Chelsted some land. Iirc someone said that when Qarlton Chelsted (the hand) was burnt, Aerys aggravated one of the most powerful crownlands houses. Otherwise you've picked the power well.

North: Cerwyn lands should be smaller, and Hornwood and Ryswell larger.

Dorne: Looks pretty much perfect.

Vale: We know little and less about the Vale, but Egen is like, less powerful.

Riverlands: We know little and less about the Riverlands to, since they got smashed early on and a lot of their lords are out of action, but houses like Wayn seem huge, when they could be substituted for the Goodbrooks as mentioned above. And if Dunk and Egg are anything to go by, the Butterwells were a big deal to, although they lost a lot of land.

Reach: Ehh, Starpike and Dark Dell (of the Peakes and Vyrwell respectively) are situated near Dorne. I'd suggest halfing Fossoway and replacing it with Vyrwell, and splitting Vyrwell into thirds of Kidwell, Roxton and Fossoway. Graceford's aren't small either, as they have a named seat.

Iron Islands: Perfect.
Stormlands: Penrose lands are where the Errols are, so Errols could be moved left and shrink the Fell lands. But otherwise its pretty spot on.

Westerlands: Westerlings smaller, and Estren installed between Broom and Banefort.

These are great maps tho, and so colourful!! Sorry if my criticism isn't very creative.

In tSS we get to know that the Rowans are overlords to osgrey and webber, located at the edge of your oakheart domain.. great map! Will I ever see a revised version?

cape kraken and stony shore, do we even know if they are claimed by anyone? Ik every1 says ,shrink the westerlings,. No, keep that tiny piece of land theyve got.

i dont find Selmy to be that powerful, with bigger lands than the prominent Dondarrions. I burn for a revised version.. please

I suppose Glovers are to low to be shown. Only things I want to point out are these:Umbers should get more land around long lake, Cerwyn should get some of Dustin land and Hornwood some of Cerwyn, Flints of FF should get coast of salt spear (while forests to south remain for Reeds). Ryswell should get more lands in the north and maybe some of stony shore.

Hey everyone, I've edited some of the maps according to your posts, check out the op! Revised versions of the Westerlands and Crownlands maps coming tomorrow!

I suppose Glovers are to low to be shown. Only things I want to point out are these:Umbers should get more land around long lake, Cerwyn should get some of Dustin land and Hornwood some of Cerwyn, Flints of FF should get coast of salt spear (while forests to south remain for Reeds). Ryswell should get more lands in the north and maybe some of stony shore.

exactly, since the Glovers (as well as the Tallharts) are a masterly house and sworn directly to Winterfell, their territory is included in the Stark lands.

Much better :cheers:

North: Much better, but the Lonely Hills are still Bolton.

Riverlands: Wayns are too big. They are Riverrun stewards, like the Pooles for the North, and we never hear of Lord Wayn. Frankly, I'd give all of the land you've assigned to the Wayns to the Goodbrooks.

Stormlands: The Weeping Town is probably Horpe land, not Mertyn land.

Keep up the good work :)

I question the demotion of the Glovers. The Glovers are specifically mentioned as former petty kings of Deepwood Motte, in contrast to a number of other current northern houses who were never kings. So they clearly have a very prominent origin.

Also, Gallbart Glover is specifically referred to as Lord Glover, in the main books, while Helman Tallhart is merely Ser Helman Tallhart.

Are we absolutely sure of this lower rank for the Glovers, which is something that really does not make sense to me. The only place I have seen this mentioned is in the wiki, and I don't know what the source for it is.

And if it is indeed correct, I just don't understand the logic behind it.

FNR, being a petty king 5000 years ago mean nothing now.
Galbart may not be a knight, while Helman is. Masterly isn't knight, its master, but those are still lords (noblemen are either knight, lord, prince or king).

Other petty kings have included Lockes who have had power, but lost most of that due to the Manderlys, and the Slates who are bannermen to someone such as the Ryswells or Dustins. Admittedly the Blackwood were also petty kings and now are powerful, but it can go either way.
A Locke married a Glover (Sybell and Robett) if that means anything to you.

Glovers are lower rank, but Northern lower rank. Northern lower rank is Southern middle rank. Glover=Florent.

Oh and on the topic of other powerful riverlords, we have Lychesters copping numerous mentions. Then you have Paege who Jaime notes as powerful. Many people also argue the Shawney's have power due to their sigil displaying stripes of Red, Green and Blue, which makes them a lord of the Trident, who tend to be powerful (the Strongs display a similar sigil).

So consider Paeges?

Ramsay

All the examples you mention of former petty kings that have lost power over the ages are all valid, however they all remain lords.

The only two Masterly Houses we are aware of are the Tallharts and Glovers. Now this is perplexing, because the Glovers still rule the same keep they ruled as petty kings 5000 years ago, and still rule a tremendous amount of territory. And they remain one of the primary bannermen of House Stark. They are not sworn to any other bannerlord.

So the point is, there must be a very interesting story behind their change in status. In the case of the Tallharts it can still be argued that Torhenn Square was given to them by House Stark, thus explaining their lower status. But the Glovers had Deepwood Motte long before the Starks took it.

And in power they seem to easily match the average Stark bannerlord like the Hornwoods or Mormonts etc. So they have a combination of ancient lineage, royal origins and current large territorial power behind them. Plus loyalty and close relations with House Stark.

So the reason for their clear demotion at some point in history is perplexing, given the information currently at our disposal.

For example:

Lord Locke, while not as powerful as he was in ancient times, still has lordly status. The Glovers don't.

Perhaps they were a particularly rebellious petty king, and hard to put down, so the Starks stamped on them or the opposite, and they submitted easily and the Starks were gentle on them. The entire series shows how troublesome removing a lord can be, so the Starks would have been weary of that. The territory they rule is in the Starks name, as Starks are their masters.
Other petty kings such as the Ryders, Fishers and Blackwoods were exiled or exitinguished. Same for Ambers, Greenwood, Towers and Frost.

The Lockes are to far to be direct bannermen I think, whereas the Glovers have always been easier to control. And if they are in the Wolfswood, they defintely want to be doing obsience to the Starks.

Archived