Theory building: Fire people

Waters Gate

I'm working on a theory since having read woiaf. it might be a bit of a silly theory and really i'm just starting with it, but i thought it was a neat idea and it's the kidn of thing i might be able to use the community's help for.

Theory: In the song of ice and fire, just as there are ice creature's in the form of others, there exist also fire creature's, or people made of fire.

+ These 2 races form 2 core species of the planet. much of the other races, creature's and species might be derived from them.

+ These 2 races make the climate on the planet. It's a matter of body heat, the more of each race, the more of it's effect. For the world to get colder for ex., there must be more others vs fire creature's, and the others can make this process faster by creating more cold beings, or seeing fire creatures die off.

And thats about as far as my ideas went atm. So it's a very early unrefined theory, unfinisched, keep that in mind. But i wonder if more clues might give credence to the idea of the existance of a pure fire creature, opposed to that of pure ice?

Well yeah, fire made flesh, and not flesh made fire. Afcourse with a title like "a song of ice and fire" you could think fire and ice to be the 2 basic elements, cornrstones of everything so to speak.

So when you have a creature which si roughly pure ice, the others, then why wouldn't you have a creature that is pure fire?

And then you can have derivates i guess, Valyrins and dragons for fire, if only a few example's, and northerners, ice dragons and ice spiders for ice i guess.

But it seems an interresting explenation for the seasons for me to think about the balance in their poppulations, the more so having seen the others creating more other babies as winter approaches.

CMIIW, but I've never seen anything that said the Others were made of ice. The description in the GoT prologue has them with flesh as pale as milk and deep blue eyes.

There are some SSMs where GR compares them to other mythical creatures made of ice, but I never got the impression that the Others themselves were ice.

Here's the quote from the wiki:

The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous

So he is saying they are like the Sidhe, which are made of ice, but different. In the prologue to GoT, they are clearly described is consisting of flesh, not ice, but when Sam stabs the Other it makes a cracking sound like ice breaking under a boot. So who really knows?

Yeah I ventured this more then once, never got any support. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118467-demons/

Dragons - Fire, Others - Ice can be brought to question if there are Ice Dragons.

Also with numerous mentions there are some demons or such who exist in Doomed Valyria and possibly in the Shadow.

You could say that balanced forces of Fire and Ice are possible and wights with their counterpart of "ressurected by R'hllor" and weight to theory.

So I think these demons can be some sort of Fire Others

Part of this theory, i guess i can throw this out regardless how whacky it might sound, would be that Asshai was once a burning or glowing/heated city for the fire people.

Now Asshai is a practicly deserted megacity, hughe but hardly any poppulation or food in the neighbourhood to easily support that.

Think of Asshai as being once one hughe bonfire, or a coal stove, a comfterable place to live for fire based creature's. The shadows might be the result of hughe ashclouds formed by millienia of burning, simmilary the grey ghostgrass. it was also a method of making the world warmer, like terraforming in a way. Planetos might have been colder once and then fire based creature's arrived or grew in numbers and made the planet heat up. The "oily black" walls of Asshai might be made of some material containing hydrocarbons, oil or coal within the stone.

Picture planetos as a world one inhabited mainly by others. A cold planet. Then fire beings arived, and their heat and lust for more of it made things heat up, untill the world became a comfterable place to live for humans and many other creature's too. But then again this was sorta slaughter on the native others. But now these stove's these fire beings left behind, which i think are what these oily black structure's are for, arn't burning anymore and for quite a while i gather, as for which the planet might be producing significantly less heat.

Dragons are made of fire, the Others are made of ice. A S O I A F.

Well, dragons are clearly not "made of fire" as they have flesh and blood just like any other creature. Quaithe describes them as "fire made flesh" which I take to be a symbolic reference to the fact that they are living creatures with the power to create fire at will.

Same with the Others. They represent ice in the SoIaF, but that is different from being made of actual ice. "Pale flesh" and the crack of ice breaking when stabbed with dragonglass is all we have to go on at this point, so the jury is still out as to what they actually consist of. Perhaps they are "ice made flesh" but that would make them flesh and blood just the same. This would address the OP's original point about ice and fire balancing out the world, and it would satisfy the seeming disconnect between dragons consisting of flesh and the Others being pure ice. They are not pure ice, they are ice made flesh, the exact opposite to dragons.

Actual creatures made of ice and fire would be some kind of elemental, and I haven't seen any of those yet.

Archived