Theory: the moon that cracked and spewed forth Dragons was planetos

Waters Gate

Dragons, along with children, the Others, giants, and everything else weird, were invented by chem/bio industry in our own near future, and then they carved out existences for themselves following the collapse of our scientific/industrial society.

As the next Ice Age set in, many species are killed, but those that survive, including men, zebras, elephants and the like, all re-evolve as natural inhabitants of the earth, with men proceeded through the same stages of social, economic and technological development as before -- cavemen, early farmers, civilization -- to the feudal state in which the story takes place.

In other words, the story you are reading happens in our future, not some alternate mythical past.

actually, that sun and moon thing, was all symbolism and forshadowing for danaerys' chapter.

there were once two moons, but one got to close to the sun and felt the suns wrath poured like 50000 dragons

translation, there were two targaryen, one got too close and pissed off drogo who poured gold (ahem, gold in westeros are 'dragons') over him and killed him

it's further implemented when danaerys calls drogo her sun & stars, and drogo calls her "moon of my life"

Dragons, along with children, the Others, giants, and everything else weird, were invented by chem/bio industry in our own near future, and then they carved out existences for themselves following the collapse of our scientific/industrial society.

As the next Ice Age set in, many species are killed, but those that survive, including men, zebras, elephants and the like, all re-evolve as natural inhabitants of the earth, with men proceeded through the same stages of social, economic and technological development as before -- cavemen, early farmers, civilization -- to the feudal state in which the story takes place.

In other words, the story you are reading happens in our future, not some alternate mythical past.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

i think it's a retelling of the legend of lightbringer story from a primitive culture...

moon (wife) = Nissa

sun (husband) = Azor Ahai

thousand dragons (ie a great fiery force) = Lightbringer.

Remember that in the legend of lightbringer, there's a nice link to the cracked moon, which otherwise is very out of place...

"It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon"

Well i think it might be maybe how planetos was created in it's current livable form? Before it was but a dead moon, but then came to close to the sun and started to heat up, and at some point the dragons came from out the earth, heated up the planet more as like terraforming it.

actually, that sun and moon thing, was all symbolism and forshadowing for danaerys' chapter.

there were once two moons, but one got to close to the sun and felt the suns wrath poured like 50000 dragons

translation, there were two targaryen, one got too close and pissed off drogo who poured gold (ahem, gold in westeros are 'dragons') over him and killed him

it's further implemented when danaerys calls drogo her sun & stars, and drogo calls her "moon of my life"

it's more like

Moons = Targaryens (once two, now only one)

Sun = drogo

“He told me the moon was an egg, Khaleesi,” the Lysene girl said. “Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return.”

The two Dothraki girls giggled and laughed. “You are foolish strawhead slave,” Irri said. “Moon is no egg. Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known.”

I think there might be more than one instance of symbolism in this passage, so I don't rule out your interpretation. However, the bold tells us pretty clearly the moon is female, and married to the sun. So that needs to be accounted for. Moon = female makes sense symbolically, since the moon is often associated with the feminine in the real world as well as ASoIaF; e.g., Wicca*, moon blood. Taking the male/female, husband/wife angle a step further, it looks like a hint at polygamy, because: "Once there were two moons in the sky." And as Yolkboy alluded to, Nissa literally means moon in one Native American language, (i.e., Nissa Nissa = "Once there were two moons in the sky.") so there's a very strong connection to the LB creation myth included, as well. ETA: Seneca Moon Song, where Nissa is given as moon. - Link. Also, Nissa is the name of the Grandmother Moon in some Native American traditions. - Link, Link.

*The Wiccan/Neopagin triple goddess is known as the maiden, mother, and crone, and it is symbolized by three phases of the moon: waxing (maiden), full (mother), waning (crone). - Link

I think there might be more than one instance of symbolism in this passage, so I don't rule out your interpretation. However, the bold tells us pretty clearly the moon is female, and married to the sun. So that needs to be accounted for. Moon = female makes sense symbolically, since the moon is often associated with the feminine in the real world as well as ASoIaF; e.g., Wicca*, moon blood. Taking the male/female, husband/wife angle a step further, it looks like a hint at polygamy, because: "Once there were two moons in the sky." And as Yolkboy alluded to, Nissa literally means moon in one Native American language, (i.e., Nissa Nissa = "Once there were two moons in the sky.") so there's a very strong connection to the LB creation myth included, as well.

*The Wiccan/Neopagin triple goddess is known as the maiden, mother, and crone, and it is symbolized by three phases of the moon: waxing (maiden), full (mother), waning (crone). - Link

in this analysis, one woulc combine the two stories of azor ahai and that girls story she heard from qohor.

the dragons would then logically become lightbringer, as they spewed forth from nissa (the first) moon

still, i cant shake that it was just a foreshadowing to viserys dying. she literally uses the phrase "poured forth like 5000 dragons", poured. and dragons are, gold. it quite literallt fulfills the story. two moons (targaryens), one targaryen got too close to the sun (drogo)

your interpretation, i see it, it would make sense. unless this story atempts to further hitnt hat danaerys will eventually become, azor ahai

Archived