Archer Season Whatever: Caress of Krieger

Myshkin

Smuggling in general seems to be a good idea, as, well, Burt Reynolds.

But really, what are they actually good at? Killing people. Killing a lot of people. Archer's totally going to be a hitman.

I think it will be something like the A(rcher)-Team and Magnum PI rolled into one.

We can hope. Now that they've ruined Krieger the best thing about this show is the Magnum references.

Pretty good finale, at least it was better than the first part of the finale. I'll mimick a question I read somewhere up thread, who is Michael Gray? Never heard of him and I don't recognize his face or voice :) This season was kind of a let down overall. It was pretty good in the first half, but it lost a lot of steam towards the end. I hope next year reinvigorates the series :)

While I don't expect them to match the high-water mark of Season 3, it feels like S5 and S6 had maybe one season's worth of ideas and jokes between them. I had such high hopes for Archer Vice, but it felt like they were never willing to pull the trigger and really make it bold and different, so they just kept at the same schtick in a different setting. S6 compounded that by bringing it back to the same setting while mostly keeping at the same schtick.

The best parts of the season were the things that were genuinely different - Archer/Lana's relationship, killing off Barry, etc. I also think that the show is better when the secondary characters prove to be surprisingly competent, rather than being a drag on the group; it's Archer's job to screw things up for them (and then bail them out later). Cyril as El Contador, Cyril as dictator, Pam the Badass, Krieger actually being a mad genius, were all funny. Pam the coke addict and the incompetent Krieger clone just dragged things down (though Pam the coke addict at least started out pretty funny, but they never went anywhere good with it).

How awesome would Vice have been if the coke actually made Pam into their best agent in the field, but they had to keep her from consuming all their product while also being impossible to deal with between missions? Like what if Lana and Archer were suddenly threatened by Pam taking over while coked up, and Mallory suddenly starts favoring her over them?

I wish they'd spent more time developing Cyril as an agent. The whole "El Contador" episode brought up the point that he might actually make a very good field agent when deployed on missions that utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses - he's not a combat badass like Archer, but he can be very convincing and well-prepared. But then they drop that and have him be the incompetent comic relief again.

Given that they're no longer in espionage, I guess that's moot. But if they start smuggling moonshine, or doing PI stuff, then he might be good again - especially with the legal background.

:bawl: I am sad. Last night, I thought, "Oh, I should set up the record for the Archer episode", then remembered that there aren't any more until next year. At least it will hopefully be a breath of fresh air amidst the neverending drudge of election season horse-race news in 2016.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On February 2, 2016 at 6:47 PM, The BlackBear said:

Trailer, no real jokes in it just maps out the genre they're doing this season.

Holy god, this is literally the greatest moment of my life! 

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching the first episode of the new season. First half of the episode was kinda slow, since they were introducing the new setting. It picked up a little after that. 

When the hell are they going to track down Woodhouse!?

Archived