Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

But why would multiple different characters remark at how much Kellhus looks like Celmomas/Nau-Cayuti?

Most likely Ganrelka was a younger brother of Celmomas, as many have speculated before, or a nephew or cousin from the other two branches of house Anasûrimbor. Since Trysë was Kûniüri’s capital, and Nau-Cayûti was heir to it, Ganrelka could not have been his older brother.

As for why Kellhus looks like those two, that is a good question, especially if you take into account the possibility of NC being Seswatha’s son. Since when do people look like their ancestor from 2,000 years ago anyway?

As for why Kellhus looks like those two, that is a good question, especially if you take into account the possibility of NC being Seswatha’s son. Since when do people look like their ancestor from 2,000 years ago anyway?

When their appearance is just gleaned from poetry and paintings.

Or, given the enchanted nature of Earwa, when teleology ensures certain archetypes return again and again.

Well the Mandate has had the opportunity, if their dreams are legit, to observe both Celmomas, NC, and AK up close and personal.

But do those dreams really show the same figure? Or does the brain confabulate what one sees in the dream and what one sees in a painting?

It's a bit odd to think the Mandate has no lucid dreamers save for Akka, but then again it is sort of an odd practice.

But do those dreams really show the same figure? Or does the brain confabulate what one sees in the dream and what one sees in a painting?

It's a bit odd to think the Mandate has no lucid dreamers save for Akka, but then again it is sort of an odd practice.

I think those questions are good things to ask and that we shouldn't take it for granted that they're true (like Seswatha's heart was some kind of 'black box'.)

One explanation for DA's lucid dreaming is the Kellhus is hacking his dream feed theory.

I honestly can't remember who we've heard remark on the similarity but yeah the Mandate would certainly be a special case.

Maybe Kellhus just looks like NC because of Dunyain SuperSperm.

When their appearance is just gleaned from poetry and paintings.

It's even less likely that Kellhus would look like the paintings and poetic descriptions from 2000 years ago. Unless those paintings are recent fakes made to look like Kellhus (by Moenghus)?

It's even less likely that Kellhus would look like the paintings and poetic descriptions from 2000 years ago. Unless those paintings are recent fakes made to look like Kellhus (by Moenghus)

I like Sci's point though about the teleological option; sometimes you just need shit to work out for the plot. Like the Anasurimbor seed having that unmistakeable brand that even commoners can pick out a mile away, that destroys wombs like the conversation in Mall Rats (didn't somebody else link the Kryptonite condom joke at some point?)

I don't find that implausible. It could be that bloodlines work differently in TSA, as in, your 'relatives' from a thousand years ago look as close to you as your relatives of today. Especially from the male side. 'When the seed is strong' and all that bullshit.

Off-topic crackpot, but I wonder given the metaphysics of Earwa if the Dunyain have smaller hearts than everyone else, physically speaking. The more you root out your passions the more your heart shrinks, literally. Might have had some role in the HITB miracle. Also why Kellhus stabbed Moe "bellow the ribs" (IIRC) and not in the heart, it was too small that he couldn't really aim at it.

Mek said that someone on his cloak reminded him of Kellhus and that he saw "his" blood in Kellhus’ face. Although, it’s not clear if those two are the same person. I doubt either of them was Celmomas since he died with Seswatha and Ses was unlikely to let the Consult take him, more likely the guy on the cloak was NC.

I don't find that implausible. It could be that bloodlines work differently in TSA, as in, your 'relatives' from a thousand years ago look as close to you as your relatives of today. Especially from the male side. 'When the seed is strong' and all that bullshit.

Off-topic crackpot, but I wonder given the metaphysics of Earwa if the Dunyain have smaller hearts than everyone else, physically speaking. The more you root out your passions the more your heart shrinks, literally. Might have had some role in the HITB miracle. Also why Kellhus stabbed Moe "bellow the ribs" (IIRC) and not in the heart, it was too small that he couldn't really aim at it.

Their hearts are distintkly without eyeballs, and exceeding puny.

Since when do people look like their ancestor from 2,000 years ago anyway?

Why not? We less than two hundred years of photographic records. I've had people come up to me thinking I'm someone else in real life (Some mysterious 'Jason' fellow) - guy even seemed to think Jason was snubbing him but not acknowledging him, at first.

Why not? We less than two hundred years of photographic records. I've had people come up to me thinking I'm someone else in real life (Some mysterious 'Jason' fellow) - guy even seemed to think Jason was snubbing him but not acknowledging him, at first.

So you're saying you've been approached time travelers that knew your ancient ancestor Jason? That's awesome.

It's even less likely that Kellhus would look like the paintings and poetic descriptions from 2000 years ago. Unless those paintings are recent fakes made to look like Kellhus (by Moenghus)?

Blond haired dude who's really hot would probably be all we got from poetry. And I doubt there's many paintings left from that time, and so you've got a ton of depictions in art (assuming the Sagas inspire visual artists, not sure if we've seen that) that all amount to "blond haired dude who's really hot".

Heck, Kellhus kinda looks like Indra's description in the Vedas - just needs Soma dripping from his beard.

I’m not sure I get the point of your story, unless this Jason fellow is someone your friends have been seeing in their dreams for years before they met you.

And I doubt there's many paintings left from that time, and so you've got a ton of depictions in art (assuming the Sagas inspire visual artists, not sure if we've seen that) that all amount to "blond haired dude who's really hot".

You can describe a painting by saying "it's a blonde haired dude!" but that doesn't mean that that's all the painting amounts to. The chances that your blonde haired dude looks very similar to my blonde haired dude that we'd think them related are still not very high. Unless you have problems distinguishing blonde haired dudes from each other, which I generally don't. Even hot ones.

Yeah, it’s not like with Cnaiür where Akka had never seen a Scylvendi in real life before he met him, and thought that he generally looked like the Scylvendi of the dreams. Between Achamian and Mek seeing some Anasûrimbor’s blood in Kellhus’ face, this was very specific and not just some hair color issue.

Archived