Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

I think it's more Joe hates that kind of world building.

Maybe, but it seems to me a lot of authors are a little offended or how should I put this.,...jealous of the Bakker love. Like it hurts their ego because they've sold more books than Bakker, but we've kinda given Bakker's work way more thought and put him on a pedestal so to speak. Well, TSA is one of the most intriguing series, that no one can say for definite which direction its heading. Wether or not the main character is a protagonist or antagonist. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that TSA hasn't sold a lot more books than it has. Truly a shame.

What authors visit this forum often enough that we are familiar enough with them to say?

But, more importantly, why wasn't I informed when this was happening?

I've just seen a few statements about bow a few (Abercrombie, Lawrence, and a couple other's make statements about how other authors should get more attention, rather than a mid-lister (Bakker). Usually the don't straight up mention Bakker's name, but its very obvious who their talking about. And next time I see one I will post the link in this thread for you Castel.

I've just seen a few statements about bow a few (Abercrombie, Lawrence, and a couple other's make statements about how other authors should get more attention, rather than a mid-lister (Bakker). Usually the don't straight up mention Bakker's name, but its very obvious who their talking about. And next time I see one I will post the link in this thread for you Castel.

I might look through some of their posts myself. That makes it sound like a totally unbecoming -and hilarious- amount of saltiness is on display.

I might look through some of their posts myself. That makes it sound like a totally unbecoming -and hilarious- amount of saltiness is on display.

I've seen it quite a few times. Like I said if more people would give TSA a chance they'd see that its a very complex series. And in my opinion I feel it might be one of those series that for one reason or another will finally get the sales and respect it deserves in due time. I freaking love it, because in most books you get a general sense of where the plot is heading. Not so in TSA. And yes its very salty comments, almost like their above Bakker.

I really can't wrap my head around the fact that TSA hasn't sold a lot more books than it has. Truly a shame.

It's a niche product. A nihilistic tale that is not Lovecraftian, set in a fantasy setting meant to echo Biblical mythology that includes an enchanted world (one that responds directly to our intentions/desires) as well as modern notions of science & technology...but no real heroes.

You could argue the nihilism is akin to that of Abercrombie or Lawrence, but it's doesn't have the humor of those two. The pacing of TDTCB is also a bit off from most epic fantasy.

Plus, you know, child rape in the prologue...

It's a niche product. A nihilistic tale that is not Lovecraftian, set in a fantasy setting meant to echo Biblical mythology that includes an enchanted world (one that responds directly to our intentions/desires) as well as modern notions of science & technology...but no real heroes.

You could argue the nihilism is akin to that of Abercrombie or Lawrence, but it's doesn't have the humor of those two. The pacing of TDTCB is also a bit off from most epic fantasy.

Definitely niche. I only have one person in my non-forum life that I've ever recommended this series to. It's not for everyone. I've recc'ed Martin and Abercrombie to tons of people, not because I like them better, but because Bakker's tougher to rec.

Yeah, it's a play on bukkake, which is a bunch of guys coming on a single person.

Can't be a bunch of women female ejaculating on a single person?

I'm just really curious if somehow that is shocking but the other isn't?

The funny thing is what I jump to is 'Well, it was done in a Hitchcock way - left to the imagination'

But really I'm missing the target - the problem is 'there at all', isn't it?

The thread goes through a cyclical pattern of genuine discussion on several semi-focused points, then gradually grows more self-referential and meta over time before going completely up its own ass. The shock-wave of this radiates into other threads, neutering unrelated topics with tenuous-at-best callbacks to Bakkerisms. Over enough time, the Bakker thread emerges like a deformed phoenix with some kernel of innocent discourse, and the cycle begins again.

Can't be a bunch of women female ejaculating on a single person?

I'm just really curious if somehow that is shocking but the other isn't?

I guess it's theoretically possible? But female ejaculation itself is, apparently, a somewhat controversial topic scientifically speaking.

As to whether its shocking...I'm not into bukkake so the thought of either is an affront to my mind's eye. There was an article I read where they interviewed men who'd answered ads for a bukkake scene and I don't recall anyone finding it pleasant. The guys they asked about it seemed weirded out about what they'd just done.

The thread goes through a cyclical pattern of genuine discussion on several semi-focused points, then gradually grows more self-referential and meta over time before going completely up its own ass. The shock-wave of this radiates into other threads, neutering unrelated topics with tenuous-at-best callbacks to Bakkerisms. Over enough time, the Bakker thread emerges like a deformed phoenix with some kernel of innocent discourse, and the cycle begins again.

That's probably the most accurate assessment of the cycle of these threads that I've ever seen.

That's probably the most accurate assessment of the cycle of these threads that I've ever seen.

But at the same time, we are entering uncharted territory at this point. The gap between TTT and TJE was 3 years, and that had the treasure trove of the appendix to go through, so it kept us very busy. In comparison, it's been 3 years already since WLW came out, and the end is not really in sight. We are going to need some new material soon or these threads might start to fizzle.

Fingers crossed for 2015, Year-of-Bakker.

Assumptively, we could see the two parts of The Knife of Many Hands split between the first two quarterly Grimdark issues and both parts, split or otherwise, of TAE's conclusion.

Lol - concise. I'll take this moment to generally pimp that other forum.

Bakkake is a serious thing obviously. @HelloWorld suggested Abercrombie do an appendix like in TTT, and I think it got underneath Joe's skin a tad. He posted "sigh".

He hasn’t posted anything since then, by the way.

But it seems to me that the reactions to Bakker getting mentioned in other threads might be a bit too much. In the RH-CF thread for example, people spent whole pages talking about Richard Morgan and Mark Lawrence, but as soon as someone mentioned Bakker everyone was like "OMG! BAKKAKE!!!" even a mod deleting several posts. Which reminds, do any of the mods on this forum read this thread?

He hasnt posted anything since then, by the way.

But it seems to me that the reactions to Bakker getting mentioned in other threads might be a bit too much. In the RH-CF thread for example, people spent whole pages talking about Richard Morgan and Mark Lawrence, but as soon as someone mentioned Bakker everyone was like "OMG! BAKKAKE!!!" even a mod deleting several posts. Which reminds, do any of the mods on this forum read this thread?

I know. I tried to engage him as you know. Either too spoilery a ?, or as I believe he refuses to answer anyone associated with the Bakker thread.

Yeah if I was an author and in the middle of a thread about my books a bunch of people just started saying EAMD and black semen I guess it could get tedious after awhile.

But I have a hard time thinking Abercrombie or Lawrence are at all jealous of the treatment Bakker gets here.

He hasnt posted anything since then, by the way.

The Mods sealed the gates to these threads along time ago.

Archived