Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

well, a great bit of the RSB colloquy on other pages is kinda gratuitous.

It is without a doubt. But, I just can't understand why other authors are so put off by the man. Really, I mean does it piss them off that much that there is a strong Bakker following, even though ya know he hasn't come close to selling as many books as them? I want to pick their brains and find these answers.

But I have a hard time thinking Abercrombie or Lawrence are at all jealous of the treatment Bakker gets here.

Exactly. Abercrombie is outselling Bakker by a wide margin. Why would he be fretting over a small, vocal segment of the ASOIAF board that really likes talking about Bakker?

Yeah if I was an author and in the middle of a thread about my books a bunch of people just started saying EAMD and black semen I guess it could get tedious after awhile.

It wasn’t anything like that. Some people were talking about how we don’t get much background information about the FL world. So I said that Abercrombie could write a glossary like the one Bakker has planned after TUC or the one in TTT. Someone who hadn’t read Bakker asked what I meant by that and my post was clarified. That’s it.

But, I just can't understand why other authors are so put off by the man. Really, I mean does it piss them off that much that there is a strong Bakker following, even though ya know he hasn't come close to selling as many books as them? I want to pick their brains and find these answers.

Not sure what you’re talking about here.

But I have a hard time thinking Abercrombie or Lawrence are at all jealous of the treatment Bakker gets here.

I don't think their jealous, and Abercrombie's little "sigh" I felt was justified. I mean you don't make suggestions to a author who's had as much success as Abercrombie. And the comment Lawrence made was in defense of some female author winning an award. Don't think it's jealousy, rather some disdain. Anyhow, back to what comes after.

I don't think their jealous, and Abercrombie's little "sigh" I felt was justified. I mean you don't make suggestions to a author who's had as much success as Abercrombie. And the comment Lawrence made was in defense of some female author winning an award. Don't think it's jealousy, rather some disdain. Anyhow, back to what comes after.

So it wasn’t about the ‘bakkake’ but about the idea of making suggestions to someone like JA? I don’t think so, sure you can make suggestions, it’s happened before, but you’re making a mountain out of a mole-hill with this ‘sigh’.

As for Mark Lawrence, the man reviewed and gave 4/5 to TDTCB and speaks favorably about Bakker whenever he’s asked. Only a few days ago he referred to something Bakker wrote on his blog (and defended him against RH) (of his own volition).

I don’t think those people are as petty as you think they are.

So it wasnt about the bakkake but about the idea of making suggestions to someone like JA? I dont think so, sure you can make suggestions, its happened before, but youre making a mountain out of a mole-hill with this sigh.

As for Mark Lawrence, the man reviewed and gave 4/5 to TDTCB and speaks favorably about Bakker whenever hes asked. Only a few days ago he referred to something Bakker wrote on his blog (and defended him against RH) (of his own volition).

I dont think those people are as petty as you think they are.

Geeeez, I'm not saying their petty. Over the course of my time spent on here I've seen authors or seen references to authors saying things along the line of "author X has every right to this or that, when a midlist author (Bakker is whom their referring to.) gets more attention than authors who've sold many many more books than him." That's all in saying. And for them to bring it up shows to me at least, that they have a mild disdain about it. Or it rubs them the wrong way. If not, then why make the comment? I'm not putting them down, all I was saying that "bakkake" and the Bakker love on here must bother them in one way or another. And if I was a author and seen in a thread on my book, bakker references it would get me a little upset also. Its justified sure, I'm not defending the right to do it. Its definitely disrespectful and childish. I was only saying that Bakkake is a real problem on this forum and giving examples off the top of my head I can remember. I'm sure there are a ton more.

ETA: and I wasn't making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just a recent occurrence. To me, the "sigh" was like, "That's okay I will stick to my own plans, don't need to do a Bakker-like appendix to make you guys happy." Damn the Snark level is rising.

Its justified sure, I'm not defending the right to do it. Its definitely disrespectful and childish. I was only saying that Bakkake is a real problem on this forum and giving examples off the top of my head I can remember. I'm sure there are a ton more.

Not every mention of Bakker is ‘bakkake’. Are you being childish for talking about JA in this thread?

The Mods sealed the gates to these threads along time ago.

For the Westerosi, it was axiomatic: what was compliant had to be isolated from what was unruly and intractable. Maester Samwell Joramun had seen it many times, wandering the labyrinth of possibilities that was the Thousandfold Thought: Bakker's character assassination. The rise of Abercrombie to take his place. The apocalyptic conspiracies. The counterfeit war against Requires Only That You Hate. The accumulation of premeditated disasters. The sacrifice of whole discussion threads to the gluttony of the trolls. The Three Seas forums crashing into char and ruin.

The Mods baying like wolves at a silent gate.

Not every mention of Bakker is bakkake. Are you being childish for talking about JA in this thread?

Are you being fucking serious, bruh? I love JA writing and I am currently reading all of his books. I was just mentioning what happened in the TFL thread, THAT. IS. ALL. Seemed like it was annoying to him.

For the Westerosi, it was axiomatic: what was compliant had to be isolated from what was unruly and intractable. Maester Samwell Joramun had seen it many times, wandering the labyrinth of possibilities that was the Thousandfold Thought: Bakker's character assassination. The rise of Abercrombie to take his place. The apocalyptic conspiracies. The counterfeit war against Requires Only That You Hate. The accumulation of premeditated disasters. The sacrifice of whole discussion threads to the gluttony of the trolls. The Three Seas forums crashing into char and ruin.

The Mods baying like wolves at a silent gate.

:bowdown:

Are you being fucking serious, bruh? I love JA writing and I am currently reading all of his books. I was just mentioning what happened in the TFL thread, THAT. IS. ALL. Seemed like it was annoying to him.

It’s fine if you think that it annoyed him, I actually think that it annoyed him as well. But my __disagreement__ with you was about the part where other authors are showing disdain/jealousy for Bakker himself. Which is what you said earlier.

But you do have a habit of seeing a personal attack in almost everything and you get agitated and defensive at the merest disagreement. Just look at the bolded parts above before you talk about defensive or childish.

Archived