Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

I think MSJ was just voicing a suspicion and you guys are getting incredibly defensive about it.

+1

=-=-=-=-=-=

The pacing of TDTCB is also a bit off from most epic fantasy.

I've recently reread TDTCB and TWP (previously I did reread passages and chapter from here and there), I enjoyed TDTCB thoroughly, but the thing that stuck out to me was how unbearable the first half of WP is (which is seen as the best book by many). Not sure how I made it through the first time. Thinking about all those campfire talks and shit jokes makes me shiver.

On a side note, how do you all pronounce the word 'Bakkake'? I usually think-say 'bah-cake', but since the correct pronunciation of bukkake is 'buk-kah-kay' (afaik), then the proper way to say Bakkake should be 'bay-kah-kay'?

Any thoughts?

Why does the suggestion of an appendix automatically presume Bakker? Tolkein was putting that stuff together decades ago and WoT had a pretty robust one from the word go. :dunno:

I've recently reread TDTCB and TWP (previously I did reread passages and chapter from here and there), I enjoyed TDTCB thoroughly, but the thing that stuck out to me was how unbearable the first half of WP is (which is seen as the best book by many). Not sure how I made it through the first time. Thinking about all those campfire talks and shit jokes makes me shiver.

Pretty much the opposite of this, I probably only made it through TDTCB because it was an audiobook and I just kept it playing no matter how much I missed, wp is where it picked up. Although, to be fair, I paid zero attention to the metaphysics back then. I think I first read these threads after finishing TTT and I was like "Metaphysics? What metaphysics??" Like you I've reread some chapter, in particular in WP and TTT, but haven't done a proper reread of the whole series yet.

On a side note, how do you all pronounce the word 'Bakkake'? I usually think-say 'bah-cake', but since the correct pronunciation of bukkake is 'buk-kah-kay' (afaik), then the proper way to say Bakkake should be 'bay-kah-kay'?

Any thoughts?

Bakker is pronounced 'bay-ker' so bakkake is 'bay-ka-ki'? or 'bay-ka-kay'? Another very important matter is does the word bakkake start with a upper-case or lower-case 'b'?

Why does the suggestion of an appendix automatically presume Bakker? Tolkein was putting that stuff together decades ago and WoT had a pretty robust one from the word go. :dunno:

It doesn’t. It’s just what was brought up at the time. Though with the popularity of Abercrombie I wonder if he will ever write a FL world book like TWOIAF.

Its fine if you think that it annoyed him, I actually think that it annoyed him as well. But my __disagreement__ with you was about the part where other authors are showing disdain/jealousy for Bakker himself. Which is what you said earlier.

But you do have a habit of seeing a personal attack in almost everything and you get agitated and defensive at the merest disagreement. Just look at the bolded parts above before you talk about defensive or childish.

Buddy, do you know me? Now, one time I acted like a idiot when Triskan dismissed my post with nothing besides, "no, you're wrong.". I understand i was acting like a baby and I apologized. Don't take one incident and say I see a personal attack in everything. You're the one who is taking every post on this subject and only highlighting a sentence and ignoring the rest. Oh and once a year ago I did get TRULY defensive about the Bakker and feminism subject. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about me or my posts. I was agitated with you, I used that word to try and convey how absolutely silly your statement was. Me getting mad when people disagree with me? Huh,....cannot recall too many times in this thread when anyone has agreed with me, or for that matter really carried a back and forth conversation with me. That is until this subject. And I believe its clear that authors feel something that touches on their ego when it comes to Bakker. I guess we can agree to disagree. But don't make statements based off of me one time throwing a hissy, then being man enough to apologize.

+1

=-=-=-=-=-=

I think what makes that part of WP gripping the first time through is there's still the tension about what Kellhus is, is he actually capable of taking over the Holy War, how the nobles react to his and Cnaiur's presence, and all the Achamian / Esme stuff is still fresh.

But yeah on a reread, it's easy to just be anticipating the Anwurat, the desert, Caraskand, and Achamian going nuts at Iothiah. The Circumfixion, Cnauir's descent into madness, all much more exciting than the gang telling ghost stories at Camp Xinemus.

Because @HelloWorld said "It would be nice to have an appendix like Bakker did in TTT."

I guess my opinion will be that the "sigh" is JA's frustration with the abundance of maps, appendices, and what not (like someone else mentioned wit the world building*). He usually shows his disdain with an ''Aaaarrrrrgggghh!" :P

edit(*)

The thread goes through a cyclical pattern of genuine discussion on several semi-focused points, then gradually grows more self-referential and meta over time before going completely up its own ass. The shock-wave of this radiates into other threads, neutering unrelated topics with tenuous-at-best callbacks to Bakkerisms. Over enough time, the Bakker thread emerges like a deformed phoenix

So you're saying rather than the phoenix arising from it's own ashes, it arises from it own asses?

Now that would have been a different Harry Potter scene!

I think MSJ was just voicing a suspicion and you guys are getting incredibly defensive about it.

That's what happens when it's not uncool to defend an author you like and you're not forced to lean into the jokes with the X-kake references.

Bakker is pronounced 'bay-ker' so bakkake is 'bay-ka-ki'? or 'bay-ka-kay'? Another very important matter is does the word bakkake start with a upper-case or lower-case 'b'?

Does anyone really pronounce it Baker? I heard him correct someone on his single video appearance and I've just decided that it's too much work to change.

Pretty much the opposite of this, I probably only made it through TDTCB because it was an audiobook and I just kept it playing no matter how much I missed, wp is where it picked up. Although, to be fair, I paid zero attention to the metaphysics back then. I think I first read these threads after finishing TTT and I was like "Metaphysics? What metaphysics??" Like you I've reread some chapter, in particular in WP and TTT, but haven't done a proper reread of the whole series yet.

Yeah, I don't think I paid much attention to the metaphysics at first either. But the stupidest 'miss' for me was the fact that I didn't realize that the Inchoroi were space aliens until some time after TTT. I don't even think I paid much attention to the Inchoroi in general, whatever they were. When the thing appeared in TWP I remember thinking "oh it's just some generic Consult monster, they must have a lot of that."

But yeah on a reread, it's easy to just be anticipating the Anwurat, the desert, Caraskand, and Achamian going nuts at Iothiah. The Circumfixion, Cnauir's descent into madness, all much more exciting than the gang telling ghost stories at Camp Xinemus.

It does have some of the best scenes in the series, no doubt.

Does anyone really pronounce it Baker? I heard him correct someone on his single video appearance and I've just decided that it's too much work to change.

It was weird at first, but yeah Baker. On a side note, that wasn't his only video appearance (if that's what you meant.)

oi christ the drama.

People do get sort of gnarly with the in-joke stuff around here. Part of the problem is that RSB has taken extra long to deliver the last of the trilogy and there's been little new material to discuss. The False Sun came out, what, almost two years ago now?

I can't wait for TUC partially for the shift in discussion towards new theory. Though, the combination of stuff unearthed and proposed around these parts has been pretty mind-blowing at times.

It was weird at first, but yeah Baker. On a side note, that wasn't his only video appearance (if that's what you meant.)

Well, it was one of only two or three I've found. There's the panel with GRRM which contained little info (except how much taller Bakker is) and the reading at Fanshaw. Still slim pickings (I'm seriously hoping you'll tell me I'm wrong here)

<snip>

And I believe its clear that authors feel something that touches on their ego when it comes to Bakker. I guess we can agree to disagree. But don't make statements based off of me one time throwing a hissy, then being man enough to apologize.

You're throwing a hissy right there. And no it’s not clear that authors feel something that touches on their ego when it comes to Bakker. Just because you take most posts on this forum personally doesn’t mean they do.

Well, on the TSA cast everyone was saying Baker. By the way Madness (in case you’re reading this), wasn't there supposed to be a fourth episode ? Is that still going to come out or is it done for?

Yeah, I don't think I paid much attention to the metaphysics at first either. But the stupidest 'miss' for me was the fact that I didn't realize that the Inchoroi were space aliens until some time after TTT. I don't even think I paid much attention to the Inchoroi in general, whatever they were. When the thing appeared in TWP I remember thinking "oh it's just some generic Consult monster, they must have a lot of that."

Rereading the some passages in TDTCB/WP, the references to them being space aliens are there, but I also don't think I realized it at first, probably only during the Seswatha and NC scenes, IIRC.

Well, on the TSA cast everyone was saying Baker. By the way Madness (in case you’re reading this), wasn't there supposed to be a fourth episode ? Is that still going to come out or is it done for?

I'm lazy. But yes, we're going to create slideshows of Somnambulist's and Quinthane's art for the YouTube hostings. I might do it later tonight.

Garet Jax and SilentRoamer were also slightly disappointed with the quality of their discussion and I was a little bitchey about something that was contemporary here (I forget, as I haven't done my post-episode notation for that one). Consensus was that we'd still post it (mostly because I think that GJ and SR did a great job of dealing with our random grab bag of topics) but that another one is likely not forthcoming until other people decide to participate.

MSJ, I'm not bearing you any ill will, but you're coming across as very combative and angry to me. You've done this several times both in this thread and in other threads. You might not be that way, and you might not feel that way, but that is how I've been perceiving you for a while.

Do with that information what you will.

MSJ, I'm not bearing you any ill will, but you're coming across as very combative and angry to me. You've done this several times both in this thread and in other threads. You might not be that way, and you might not feel that way, but that is how I've been perceiving you for a while.

Do with that information what you will.

Funny I usually tend to agree with your posts, Kal, but I just read the last couple of pages in a go and it came across to me more as SJA riding MSJ pretty hard and trying to get a reaction out of him. YMMV.

Anyway, both of them know to keep it cordial lest a topoi grow in this thread, which would let the Hundred Mods seep back into these threads.

Funny I usually tend to agree with your posts, Kal, but I just read the last couple of pages in a go and it came across to me more as SJA riding MSJ pretty hard and trying to get a reaction out of him. YMMV.

Anyway, both of them know to keep it cordial lest a topoi grow in this thread, which would let the Hundred Mods seep back into these threads.

Yes, I feel as if he's goading me into throwing another tantrum so he can prove a point. Its not a big deal. I'm over it, please let's just move on.

ETA:and honestly I don't know where I've ever been combative towards anyone except for when I acted a fool to @Triskan. Maybe its like the thing where you shouldn't text when trying to convey your feelings. I don't know, sorry SJA if you feel that way. Wasn't my intent.

Yeah, moving on is the best thing to do at this point. These threads have a reputation to maintain if I understand correctly. Or whatever remains of that.

Well, it was one of only two or three I've found. There's the panel with GRRM which contained little info (except how much taller Bakker is) and the reading at Fanshaw. Still slim pickings (I'm seriously hoping you'll tell me I'm wrong here)

No, that's pretty much all I'm aware of. Although for the GRRM panel I only found a short snippet and not the whole thing.

but that another one is likely not forthcoming until other people decide to participate.

I wonder if more people (or less) will want to participate if the next episode is titled "Bakker and Women".

Archived