Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

I’m not sure, I only googled rior and that’s what came up.

Anyone else getting extremely annoyed with the ^ in Anasûrimbor? If it were Anasurimbor it would be fine and a nice name, but how the fuck do you pronounce anasoorimbor?

I think that's a vestige from Bakker's Tolkien days. It's not the only accent that seems unnecessary (imo).

Anyone else getting extremely annoyed with the ^ in Anasûrimbor? If it were Anasurimbor it would be fine and a nice name, but how the fuck do you pronounce anasoorimbor?

I actually really like saying it, it's not too tough once you wrap your brain around it. Just make the syllable break after the "û". So it's "soo-rimber" instead of "sor-imber". It's the same sound the "ú" from Tokien's "Túrin" makes.

eta: I realize that contradicts what's written, but otherwise I fail to see the point of 2 "o"'s in the phonetic spelling as opposed to just one.

I actually really like saying it, it's not too tough once you wrap your brain around it. Just make the syllable break after the "û". So it's "soo-rimber" instead of "sor-imber". It's the same sound the "ú" from Tokien's "Túrin" makes.

eta: I realize that contradicts what's written, but otherwise I fail to see the point of 2 "o"'s in the phonetic spelling as opposed to just one.

I fully endorse this. I mentally pronounced it ana-suh-RIHM-bor until about a year ago when I started doing exactly what you describe. My life is much improved.

Chorae would be condensed certainty not condensed doubt.

I do not have the powers of kindle, but I'm pretty sure it's right in the text of the judging eye they are doubt.

That's why they dispell sorcery - because it's like suddenly being told 'what if it's just a dream?'.

Was just reading TTT last night and remembered this stuff...

If you are tested and confirmed as one of the Few, then a Chorae will still not "work" on you until you have properly canted. Otherwise all of the Few would always be susceptible to Chorae by their nature?

Actually, you don't even have to cant properly- when Akka and Kellhus talk about Kell learning the gnosis Akka explains that because it's so complex, Kellhus will be vulnerable to chorae before he can actually use the gnosis just form some of the basic, fundamental stuff.

Although this makes me wonder ( I know it's been discussed a bunch) if we ever figured out whether or not Inrau uses the Gnosis or some kind of Yatwer or Cish style god-sourced magic.

Yes, Akka notes that she has one when he comes back I believe.

Yeah Esme and Kellhus are both wearing them when he comes back, and he notes, paraphrasing here, that at least Kellhus had the decency to conceal his under his clothing.

Although this makes me wonder ( I know it's been discussed a bunch) if we ever figured out whether or not Inrau uses the Gnosis or some kind of Yatwer or Cish style god-sourced magic.

Or a bit of both, as Titirga (sp?) does in False Sun.

If being connected to Onkis via his devotion all gives Inaru greater apprehension of the Whole, then even a weak Cant (1st level burning hands spell) might be stronger (metamagic rules from 3rd-edition-D&D-and-up to increase efficacy).

Bakker gave some great explanations on the other forum of sorcerous objects via his alt dragharrow over the weekend

Yes, it is possible to craft sorcerous objects that work for mundane humans but if you want your artifact to be able to take sophisticated inputs than you are probably going to need a sorcerer to wield it.

The whores shell proves that you can create artifacts that will work for normal people. It's simple and it doesn't take any inputs from its user, it doesn't even have an off on switch but it doesn't have to you can just take it off. I see no reason that you couldn't use the same principle on grander artifacts. The false sun for example, It doesn't go off when Titirga puts it down and walks away so you could clearly just have a Mage turn it on and give it to a normal person.

However the times we have seen artifacts that with more sophisticated interfaces be used, it has always required the user to be one of the few. Akka uses the waithu doll to test whether kellhus is one of the few for this reason.

So I guess the question is can you create a non magical interface for your magical item. I would imagine that you could. The waithu doll, once activated, is obviously capable of perceiving the mundane world, so a proxy should be entirely capable of picking up mundane inputs and interpreting them as "commands" for what the artifact is supposed to do.

Just my opinion it's an alt but writing style is pretty similar.

Bakker gave some great explanations on the other forum of sorcerous objects via his alt dragharrow over the weekend

Just my opinion it's an alt but writing style is pretty similar.

And the 'waithu' doll misspelling is just the kind of thing he'd tuck in there to obscure his identity. "What, me? No, I wouldn't have put that 'u' in 'waithi'."

Wait new Atrocity Tale coming out?? How do I get this grimdark magazine.

It's only online, unJon, at www.grimdarkmagazine.com.

Part 1 of The Knife of Many Hands is confirmed as the feature for Issue #2 (which is available [looks to be available] for pre-order) and Issue #3 will allegedly have Part 2 and a new Bakker interview.

TKOMH is apparently (as per TPB) a "short-story set in Carythusal on the eve of the Scholastic Wars."

Archived