Tywin Lannister, OMG may not be that bad afterall

Panther2000

Yeah, that's why he took his crown away from him and effecitvely ruled the realm fort twenty years.

King Robert and The Ned took the crown from him. Tywin again showed he was a bitch by sitting his ass in casterly rock doing no fighting, only to sack KL under false pretense's, as that seems to be the only way tywin can win a war

Rabid Northmen.

I like that, rabies, wolfs, get it. :cool4:

To be fair, there wasn't much left for them when they arrived.

I don't know about that. Ned was in the throne room fairly quickly, IIRC, certainly the very day that Aerys died because Jaime was still sitting on the throne. It takes a while to sack a large city like MK, so in my estimation the northerners arrived while the city was in mid sack, which, according to the theory that soldiers just run amok and sack cities as soon as the enter, should have sent them on the rampage too. But if they did, no one speaks about it.

And, yes, the southerners, at least, think the northerners are just a step above wildlings, and are not above eating the bodies of those they kill in battle. So if the tales of the sack are accurate, they would most certainly include atrocities by northerners if they happened because it would fit right in with their stereotype.

I have mixed feelings about the stripping and shaming of his father's mistress.

It was a very cruel,sexist and inhumane thing to do.

On the other hand I understand why he hated her, given how she took up with his father, and started wearing his dead mothers jewels and silks. If he wanted to rule effectively, he had to have her "taken care of" since she had gained so much power and influence as "de facto" lady of Casterly Rock.

Im not sure about that one honestly

On the other hand I understand why he hated her, given how she took up with his father, and started wearing his dead mothers jewels and silks. If he wanted to rule effectively, he had to have her "taken care of" since she had gained so much power and influence as "de facto" lady of Casterly Rock.

It can be both a terrible thing to do and an effective thing to do.

Which is Tywin Lannister in a nutshell.

If his father's mistress was being inappropriate, Tywin had every right to deal with it. I have three effective measures right here:

I- Banish her from the Westerlands;

II- Banish her from the entire realm, and send a raven for every lord that he'll face the wrath of House Lannister if they help her in some way;

III- Kill her and display her head on a spike.

But Tywin didn't do it, no, he had her paraded naked through the streets of Lannisport saying I'm a whore and you're saying "you don't know about that, honestly?".

Would Stannis do that? Or Oberyn? Or the Blackfish? Yet no one, not even Tywin, would call them weak.

This not the behavior of a completely rational and perfectly fine human being. No, this is the behavior of a sociopath that takes pleasure in sexually humiliating women. If Saddam Hussein had done something like this, no one would be surprised.

And you're say you're "conflicted" about it? I can't even respect anyone that finds this or what he did to Tysha something remotely acceptable. They likely have some big sexual issues to deal with themselves.

But Tywin didn't do it, no, he had her paraded naked through the streets of Lannisport saying I'm a whore and you're saying "you don't know about that, honestly?".

I'm surprised at the "paraded naked" thing being considered such a moral event horizon.

We have mutilated bodies, spikes, and worse and this gets people's dander up.

Humiliating walk of shame seems like a blessing to ninety-percent of the stuff we see.

I'm surprised at the "paraded naked" thing being considered such a moral event horizon.

We have mutilated bodies, spikes, and worse and this gets people's dander up.

Humiliating walk of shame seems like a blessing to ninety-percent of the stuff we see.

Yeah, people are generally weird about sex. Logic doesn't really come into it, it's just a modern taboo.

Do I think what happened to Tytos's Mistress and Tysha was wrong and cruel? Yes. Do I think executing them would have been morally better? No.

And I think Winterfell is Burning's suggestion that Tywin had a fetish for "sexually humiliating women" is also a stretch. In these particular cases, the women had (in Tywin's mind) used sex to elevate themselves and shame House Lannister. So their punishment was sexualized.

I think Tywin is a misogynist in the old school sense that he expects purity from women but desires them sexually available all the same. Which is why he's the Hand of the King who visits brothels but keeps it on the down low.

I think this is all due to his father's mistress, who wasn't a harlot but an upjumped commoner.

I.e. just like Tysha really was.

In a way, its a good thing his dad's lover just got the walk of shame. What Tywin would have done later would have been horrific.

Was the Walk of Shame thing bad? Only in the fact she was just yet another person who undermined House Lannister and its respect. The issuing things in his father's name thing, for example, is a major taboo.

Sending her packing with orders to never step foot in the Westlands again would have been fine, IMHO, but Tywin wanted to make a statement.

I think Tywin is a misogynist in the old school sense that he expects purity from women but desires them sexually available all the same. Which is why he's the Hand of the King who visits brothels but keeps it on the down low.

I think this is all due to his father's mistress, who wasn't a harlot but an upjumped commoner.

As a feudal lord, Tywin was certainly a misogynist. His view towards "whores" is interesting; he could apparently tolerate and even make use of them as long as they were "honest" about what they were. But I think his wrath toward Tytos's mistress and Tyrion's wife was way more about class than gender; it's not as if he would have been any more gentle with a common man who seduced a young Cersei (in that case I'm sure the poor lad would have had his genitals removed) .

To him, both women were commoners who took advantage of weak Lannisters and brought shame to the House. And since they did it through sex they were therefore just "upjumped, lying whores."

Archived