Military Organization

mnyquist

<I>EDIT: I suppose I should read a forum before posting 'eh? This similar idea is already on here.</I>

I myself would be very interested to see the approxomate (or precise) military holdings of the various houses, clans, Free cities, etc...

Along the same lines, the general equipment loadout of various soldiers in the houses would be interesting to see (and I'm sure they would make some pretty sweet illustrations.)

I know I'm a military nut, and I have a feeling that there are several others that read these books.

Anyone agree?

Well it would be pretty awesome to know roughly how many swords many of the important lords commanded, but Martin doesnt always like to give us cold hard facts as much as I'd love for him to. As for the equipment, I think it would be nice just to have a general overview of what you might expect to find on a typical soldier in a certain region.

Might be quite nice to get a definitive answer on how the Wardens fit into the whole setup, too (finally). ;) (Which areas does each cover, etc.)

I agree, where does the West officially end, does it interface with the North and South?? etc.

as for gear, I think that unless you're a house uard its pretty much whatever you can scrounge

I understand that there would be a lot of variance in soldier gear, but I think you could expect the average rank and file soldiers of a house to have similar gear. I mean, your going to find a lot more polearms in Sunspear than you are in Winterfell, etc...

Also, either in the place of, or alongside the solder gear, it would be really cool to see the suits of armor and weapons of the more famous people. We've seen some already, but I'm sure that Eddard Stark rode to battle in more than just a chain shirt and a fur cloak.

Also, either in the place of, or alongside the solder gear, it would be really cool to see the suits of armor and weapons of the more famous people. We've seen some already, but I'm sure that Eddard Stark rode to battle in more than just a chain shirt and a fur cloak.

That is an awesome idea. I would love to see this done!

I'm not certain we're going to get anything of that kind. Arm and armor designs seem to generally be something one wants to see when something has been turned into visual media (see the nice Art of the LotR movie books, for example), and this is (again) aimed at a general audience to some degree. Its not like armor in Westeros is all that fantastic -- go check out any book on the Hundred Years War and you'll get a pretty good idea. ;)

Still, we'll make a note of it when it comes to discuss the art of the book a bit further.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd always assumed that the Wardens thing was pretty much an honorary title, given that the Seven Kingdoms have not faced an outside invasion since the Targaryen unification. The closest that there was - the War of the Ninepenny Kings - was defeated by a pre-emptive strike. However, knowing what areas they cover would be interesting. I was guessing that the North is, erm, the North; the East was the Vale; the West was the Westerlands, Iron Islands and the Riverlands and the South was the Reach and the Stormlands (assuming that Dorne remains autonomous and the Crownlands are dispensed by the King), but finding out the precise answer would be interesting.

Wert: my pet theory is that the Wardenship of the North covers the Iron Islands. This makes some of the stuff around Greyjoy's Rebellion make more sense to me. But we shall see. :)

Mine as well I liked the symeter of:

The East: Vale and Stormlands

The South: Reach and Dorne

The North: North and Iron Islands

The West: Westerlands and Trident

This geographically makes sence and all the slight clues we gotten of it so far suggest it:

The Warden of the south was left to govern Dorne after its conquest.

The Warden of the North was given the heir to the Iron Islands to make sure Lord Balon was submitted to the relm.

The Warden of the West seemed to think he could march across the Trident unimpeaded.

I would also be curiouse what actual power the wardships have vs just the prestige of things. ie what roles have htye actually played in history.

• 4 years later...

I'd like to see some of the terminology explained, what seperates a Sellsword from a Freerider etc.

I took that to be simple.

A sellsword is a mercenary, anyone who's willing to sell his sword (as opposed to a sworn sword, I guess) whereas a freerider is still a mercenary, but one who is successful or rich enough to have afforded or claimed a horse.

Basically freerider = mounted mercenary.

I'd like to see the makeup of an individual houses force for ezxample, what number are fully armoured knights, then the professional men at arms (how are they equipped), then to the veraious levies of peasantry, for example it there a small ready reserve, a militia if you will who are better armed then most peasantry and form the core of the infantry host, longbow armed hunters for example. How much armour and weaponry might be given to your levies ie cheap spears and shields plus a simple metal cap for example, or simply nothing at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like some kind of comparison with the present day armour and weapons compared to those of Aegon I three hundred years earlier. As in a comparison of how for example a knights equipment has evolved, the only reference I can think of is in AFFC were the Warrior Sons don kiteshields of a type used during the conquest. (I guess they might be compared to those worn by the Normans during the invasion of 1066)..

Archived