Wyman Manderly's mission for Davos..

livball2012

Hi everyone! After reading this forum a while I finally decided to jump into the discussion with my first post!

Anyway: Why does Wyman Manderly want davos to go after rickon and not bran? He knows both are alive and bran is technically the heir to winterfell, not rickon. That might cause confusion when trying to reinstate the King in the North should he come back. Now this might just be because he only knows the whereabouts of rickon and has no idea where bran is but that brings me to my second question. How in the world does that guy wex know where exactly rickon went? Even if he followed them to the coast how does he know they went to Skagos?

Either way I am super pumped about this story line and really looking forward to it in WoW! So much so it made me start posting on here...

I think nobody knows where Bran is. Wex followed Rickon out of Winterfell, so he has some idea of where he is (not sure if he followed him all the way to Skagos, as you pointed out). And maybe he overheard the wildling woman (can't believe I forgot her name!) negotiating passage or something.

Since no one has seen Bran since he escaped from Winterfell, maybe they're assuming that he's dead. Either way, producing a live Rickon and proclaiming him Lord of Winterfell will be more effecting that saying "Bran escaped and is Lord of Winterfell, but we don't know where he is".

I think noboy really knows where Bran is. Wex maybe followd Rickon instead of Bran, because he knew he was with Jojen and Meera and maybe suspected they'd go to Howland Reed or to Jon on the Wall. He could have seen both groups leave and say Bran's group heading north and Osha and Rickon heading somewhere to the coast. He could have though that because Bran was with three people heading north, they were going to the Wall, to get Jon or help of the Night's Watch and thought it was weird that Osha and Bran were going a complete other and not really logical direction (because I'd think going south to Robb would be the easy option, since nobody really knows who Ramsay is and all the North is still with Robb). So that's why he followed Osha and Rickon.

But I could be completely wrong. I'm really looking forward to find out more about this storyline in WoW. I'm wondering how the Skagosi would've treated and changed Rickon, they seem like a really wild folk to me, wilder than the wildlings, and Rickon already was quite a wild toddler. So, really looking forward tot this.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a strong possibility that Manderly was not telling Davos the whole story. Manderly had no particular reason to be honest with Davos, Wex depends on Manderly's good graces and can't talk anyway, and the story Manderly told made little sense.

How on earth could Wex have followed Osha and a direwolf without being caught?

Why would Osha take Rickon to Skagos? Luwin didn't advise her to go there, she has never been there before.

How did Osha and Rickon get Shaggydog to Skagos without help?

Why does Manderly need Davos to fetch Rickon? Manderly is the lord of a port city. He managed to hide a whole fleet from the Boltons and Freys. I think he could manage to send somebody with local expertise, somebody that he knows, to fetch Rickon from Skagos. If Davos hadn't come to White Harbor, or if Manderly had been forced to kill Davos, Manderly would have sent somebody else. So Manderly doesn't need Davos, he's just using him because he can.

We just don't know what Manderly's plan was. Manderly seems to know where Rickon is but probably doesn't know where Bran is and probably assumes that Bran won't be coming back. I think Rickon and Osha may have gone to the Umbers who hid them on Skagos. I think Manderly is choosing to involve Davos because he wants Stannis' men to support Rickon.

Archived