Requires only that you continue to read this thread: Benjanungate II

Galactus

Perhaps this book, just published, could help BS-Bee?

But it can be argued that Schulman’s flaws allow him to drive home the message that people can recover from their mistakes, especially those related to social media.

This is what Schulman does best: appealing to those, primarily millennials, who probably wouldn’t listen to his message from anyone else. He has seen first-hand how broken and desperate unmasked catfish are, and he believes that their insecurities reveal something deeper about our society. He offers positive, if not totally original, steps people can take to make their offline lives more meaningful than their online ones. He has thus made a valuable contribution to our ongoing conversation about the risks of social media.

Or, maybe, it too, like the catfishes, is made up :bs: ?

... it was also the subject of a book written by the great American sociologist Richard Sennett in 1977. His”Fall of Public Man” masterfully describes the decline of social conventions that once regulated anonymous, impersonal social interactions in public life and that provided a social code for private interpretation. Sennett argued they had been in decline since the end of the 19th century, and that their demise had something to do with the effects of mass society and consumerism, which, through the new availability of mass-produced fashion, engendered new desires for representing one’s private self in public.

Meetings between strangers that had been regulated by social protocol, deference, manners, forms of address and shared mores began to be more personalized, Sennett observes, and over the course of the world-exploding 20th century, particularly in America, the idea that these things should mediate between people fell out of fashion. Actually, they were ushered out of fashion by the cultural values of liberation, self-expression, unmasking, sincerity, authenticity and intimacy, all of which gained increased acceptance owing to cultural movements of the 19th century, and, taking their lead, from modern advertising. These influences urged more “real” and “authentic” self because the world around that self had become false through commerce and industrialization.

goodness, that last point is illiberal proto-fascist medievalist nostalgia. and it also has some fucked up means-ends coordination: the world is Wrong (like clute & grant's analysis of a secondary world, almost) so i'm gonna remedy that by being an antisocial nihilist!

I found the quotes from Sennet's book -- which I haste to confess not having read, and just heard of it via the reprinted article -- interesting in light of what's going on in hipster Brooklyn's Williamsburg, where there are now business in which the service people make a point of being rude and unhelpful, and even insulting, in the name of authenticity.

The counter people in the shop where we purchase the loose tea and coffee consumed in our home, told me about it. One of the bemused comments was, "I learned long ago that I get a whole lot further by being polite, and I am a lot happier." These counter people don't receive tips, so they don't have that motivation to be pleasant and helpful, thus it seemed likely to be a sincere comment. I'm not as certain about the sincerity of yours though! :cool4:

I found the quotes from Sennet's book -- which I haste to confess not having read, and just heard of it via the reprinted article -- interesting in light of what's going on in hipster Brooklyn's Williamsburg, where there are now business in which the service people make a point of being rude and unhelpful, and even insulting, in the name of authenticity.

The counter people in the shop where we purchase the loose tea and coffee consumed in our home, told me about it. One of the bemused comments was, "I learned long ago that I get a whole lot further by being polite, and I am a lot happier." These counter people don't receive tips, so they don't have that motivation to be pleasant and helpful, thus it seemed likely to be a sincere comment. I'm not as certain about the sincerity of yours though! :cool4:

I get it though. You can only deal with tech support for so long before it wears on you. Still would rather pay for help.

"Authenticity",lol. The problem is obtrusiveness.

As always, hipsters ruin everything ;)

People are apparently getting paid to be dicks. Do we have to give the hipsters the L and the businessmen the W or do they take half of each?

goodness, that last point is illiberal proto-fascist medievalist nostalgia. and it also has some fucked up means-ends coordination: the world is Wrong (like clute & grant's analysis of a secondary world, almost) so i'm gonna remedy that by being an antisocial nihilist!

It is interesting to catch the whiff of Lovecraft in Sennet's thesis...

Actually I should check the time periods of both...

Yeah I have no idea what any of you smart kids are talking about now. Unless someone wants to translate that all into computer science speak.

Some coder doesn't like the new conventions, decides to make all the variable names about penis.

Yeah I have no idea what any of you smart kids are talking about now. Unless someone wants to translate that all into computer science speak.

Older programmer is upset with the rise of and increased commercialization of social media. Thinks it promotes shallow thinking, a degrading of the line between public and private matters, and the creation of false personas. Decides the best way to deal with it is to update the meta section of Facebook, Twitter, &c with an http-equiv refresh and set the URL to... 4chan's /b/? Tubgirl? Goatse? 2Girls1Cup? Because those at least aren't pretending to be anything else.

solo: this guys an idiot and kind of stingy when dealing with change

Zorral/Larry: Reminiscent of certain hipsters.

Castel: I gets the frustration, but the actual thought process is ridiculous.

Sci: That rant makes me think of Lovecraft's themes about threats to class/civilization. I wonder if Sennett and Lovecraft were writing at the same time?

• 3 months later...

I'm obviously very late to this party -- George's suggestion of Mixon for Best Fan Writer due to her reportage is what made me realize this had all been going on for months.

All I can really say is that I am not surprised in the least about the revelations. I'm very sorry for all of those who have gotten pulled into the maelstrom of negativity that came spewing out of RH/ACM/Winterfox/Benjanun, and I feel doubly sorry for those who took glee in that level of hateful discourse.

yeah, someone trying to ban something makes it mandatory reading for me.

I was about to craft something witty about checking out THE TURNER DIARIES, then lost interest.

Actually, now that I've made it to the end of this thread, I've kind of lost the will to live.

No one is trying to ban her work because of its contents, in fact no one is trying to ban her work at all. Just some people suggesting not to buy it because the author is an ass, that says nothing about the work itself.

Actually, I looked at her novella, Scale-Bright, on amazon. All the reviewers were talking about how great the prose is so I read the sample on amazon. This was the first sentence,

Julienne is in a crowded train when a man whose skin gleams smooth as stone appears to inquire after her heart's desire.

Long story short, that's where I stopped reading. Of course it may be that I'm missing out on something great, but for now I'm thinking I have better things to do than read such crap.

A troll very much in tone and temperament (and Thai/SF to boot) posted at a forum a couple weeks ago, using the usual rage/passive-aggressive tactics. He/she were banned almost immediately; it didn't take long for forum members to make the correlation to the mojonixon post & the history documented there. I guess breaking some habits is just so, so hard...

I admit, after reading Mixon's report, it sprung to mind that that person may well have been their trolling. I will say, they were actually in Thailand, as they claimed. But would if RoH wanted to resume trolling, why not use a proxy, and why call attention to being in Thailand? Easy enough to do to cover their tracks. So, I suspect it's coincidental. The only thing that niggles at me is the fact that they popped up shortly after this all blew up online, which seems a less likely coincidence... but who can say, really?

Archived