Septon Barth

naseridrl

He seriously needs a publishing deal of his own, because he seems to be a font of spot on or close to spot on info.

I wonder if he was a sorcerer or maybe the child of a woods witch who understood enough about magic to be more willing to believe the old tales and work back from there to find out the truth in the fiction.

It wasn't fully Baelors idea. Maester/Septons had great influence at this decision

Septons, certainly, might encourage book burning. But I doubt the Maesters would. A lot of them heavily disagreed with a lot of what Barth wrote, but Yandel is probably expressing the views held by most of them when he decries Baelor's burning of Unnatural History as the loss of a great work written by one of the finest minds Westeros had to offer.

I suspect that Septon Barth was something of a magician.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Septon Barth and his Unatural history. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion didn't come upon a few pages. He's in the seconds sons now and that just screams history and legacy. Tyrion has been down so long, I'd say it seems like the time is ripe for Tyrion to get an intellectual power up and a mental edge on the competition.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Septon Barth and his Unatural history. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion didn't come upon a few pages. He's in the seconds sons now and that just screams history and legacy. Tyrion has been down so long, I'd say it seems like the time is ripe for Tyrion to get an intellectual power up and a mental edge on the competition.

Tyrion quoted from Barth in ADwD, which means he has read some fragments of the Unnatural History.

I think we are going to read much more from Barth's unnaturally history in the next book, with Sam at the Citadel!

And with everything Sam has witnessed so far he is definitely not going to dismiss Barth's work so quick as master Yandel did.

It would be interesting if Sam gets to meet master Yandel

He might have been the person in all Westeros proper to have the widest and most accurate knowledge of what was going on - with possible exceptions of people in the Isle of Faces and some Reeds. Basically a projection of GRRM into his own world - objective nearly omniscient narrator.

And if anyone has some of his book left, my money is on Marwyn.

- GRRM, during an interview on Novembre 5, 2014:

Daenerys Targaryen was given the histories of her world as a wedding gift but neglected to read them. But you know who does know a lot of that? he says coyly. Tyrion.

- Dany's wedding Chapter, on AGOT:

Ser Jorah Mormont apologized for his gift. It is a small thing, my princess, but all a poor exile could afford, he said as he laid a small stack of old books before her. They were histories and songs of the Seven Kingdoms, she saw, written in the Common Tongue. She thanked him with all her heart.

- Dany's first chapter, on ADWD

"Dragons are fire made flesh. She had read that in one of the books Ser Jorah had given her as a wedding gift."

Jorah, next time you buy an old book for a girl, look it up on ebay, it might be worth a kingdom.

He might have been the person in all Westeros proper to have the widest and most accurate knowledge of what was going on - with possible exceptions of people in the Isle of Faces and some Reeds. Basically a projection of GRRM into his own world - objective nearly omniscient narrator.

And if anyone has some of his book left, my money is on Marwyn.

Well, Marwyn travelled the world seeking lost books, and he wrote the Book of Lost Books, so...

But, yes, I would love to know more about Septon Barth and how he adquired his knowledge. He was lowborn and poor, but he obviously was an educated man...were did he got his education?

What I found interesting is that information on these ancient secrets was in the Night Fort but upon the abandoning of the Night Fort it was no longer accessible. Firstly, if its scrolls, why leave them to rot there? Secondly, the Night Fort is back open for business Thirdly, The Night Fort should have something about Others, surely?

Septons, certainly, might encourage book burning. But I doubt the Maesters would. A lot of them heavily disagreed with a lot of what Barth wrote, but Yandel is probably expressing the views held by most of them when he decries Baelor's burning of Unnatural History as the loss of a great work written by one of the finest minds Westeros had to offer.

I don't see how Yandel saying it's a tragedy that Barth's writings were destroy precludes the maesters from having played a part in it being done. From what we know that book would've contained a lot of information that an organization trying to wipe out magic and dragons would not want floating around anywhere. So destroying it would've been important for them, but also something that they had to publicly lament to keep their involvement hidden and maintain their facade of knowledge-focused non-partisans.

I'd pay triple for the complete collection of Old Nan's stories though...

Let me read about those three discussing history over good wine and I wouldn't even need the rest of ASOIAF.

Let's see where the septon was namedropped... :)

Ser Ryam Redwyne was the greatest knight of his day, and one of the worst Hands ever to serve a king. Septon Murmisons prayers worked miracles, but as Hand he soon had the whole realm praying for his death. Lord Butterwell was renowned for wit, Myles Smallwood for courage, Ser October Hightower for learning, yet they failed as Hands, every one. As for birth, the dragonkings oft chose Hands from amongst their own blood, with results as various as Baelor Breakspear and Maegor the Cruel. Against this, you have Septon Barth, the blacksmiths son the Old King plucked from the Red Keeps library, who gave the realm forty years of peace and plenty. Pylos smiled. Read your history, Lord Davos, and you will see that your doubts are groundless.

ASoS, Davos V

The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame.

He asked Sam to read for him from a book by Septon Barth, whose writings had been burned during the reign of Baelor the Blessed.

AFfC, Samwell IV

He was less hopeful concerning Septon Barth Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History. Barth had been a blacksmiths son who rose to be Kings Hand during the reign of Jaehaerys the Conciliator. His enemies always claimed he was more sorcerer than septon. Baelor the Blessed had ordered all Barths writings destroyed when he came to the Iron Throne. Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barths work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.

When the Halfmaester appeared on deck, yawning, the dwarf was writing down what he recalled concerning the mating habits of dragons, on which subject Barth, Munkun, and Thomax held markedly divergent views.

ADwD, Tyrion IV

Death comes out of the dragons mouth, Septon Barth had written in his Unnatural History, but death does not go in that way.

ADwD, Tyrion XI

Archived