Aliens

This oily black stone, where is mentioned in the book? (Again, I haven't read it all, but I want to check).

Also, it's more likely that whatever it is, it comes from a more ancient civilization, even before the Children, rather than aliens.

Of course, it could be aliens. It always can be aliens... but I doubt it.

(The Nazca Lines are aliens!!! The Paracas are so close and they shaped their skulls to be alien-like... it is known!!!!)

Mentioned in TWoIaF

• The Seastone Chair (carved into the shape of a kraken from an oily black stone)

The great square fortress of black stone in Oldtown

The 40-foot high toad statue on the Isle of Toads (The Basilisk Isles)

The city of Yeen (a ruin older than time, built of oily black stone, in massive blocks so heavy that it would require a doze elephants to move them)

Five Forts (for the great walls are single slabs of fused black stone)

Asshai (Travelers tell us that the city is built entirely of black stone...Asshai has a greasy, pleasant feel to it)

Mentioned in Main Series

• The Seastone Chair (carved in the shape of a great kraken from an immense block of oily black stone)

I do not know if that means it was just a big freaking stone on the island and they carved their kraken out of the existing stone...or if the chair was already carved into a kraken when the First Men arrived. The wording leaves it open...IMO.

<snip>

(The Nazca Lines are aliens!!! The Paracas are so close and they shaped their skulls to be alien-like... it is known!!!!)

And the Nazca Lines were made my humans trying to communicate with the aliens! And the aliens landed on the The Palpa Flat Mountain landing strip!

Fused black stone isn't necessarily the oily stuff right? It sounds similar to Valyrian stone that they made their roads from.

True...but here are the quotes from TWoIaF. As we know...this is not canon...just an interpretation of collected material by a maester.

Oldtown

The fused black stone of which it is made suggests Valyria, but the plain, unadorned style of architecture does not, for the dragonlords loved little more than twisting stone into strange, fanciful, and ornate shapes. Within, the narrow, twisting, windowless passages strike many as being tunnels rather than halls; it is very easy to get lost amongst their turnings. Mayhaps this is no more than a defensive measure designed to confound attackers, but it too is singularly un-Valyrian. The labyrinthine nature of its interior architecture has led Archmaester Quillion to suggest that the fortress might have been the work of the mazemakers, a mysterious people who left remnants of their vanished civilization upon Lorath in the Shivering Sea. The notion is intriguing but raises more questions than it answers.

An even more fanciful possibility was put forth a century ago by Maester Theron. Born a bastard on the Iron Islands, Theron noted a certain likeness between the black stone of the ancient fortress and that of the Seastone Chair, the high seat of House Greyjoy of Pyke, whose origins are similarly ancient and mysterious. Theron’s rather inchoate manuscript Strange Stone postulates that both fortress and seat might be the work of a queer, misshapen race of half men sired by creatures of the salt seas upon human women. These Deep Ones, as he names them, are the seed from which our legends of merlings have grown, he argues, whilst their terrible fathers are the truth behind the Drowned God of the ironborn.

Five Forts

Certain scholars from the west have suggested Valyrian involvement in the construction of the Five Forts, for the great walls are single slabs of fused black stone that resemble certain Valyrian citadels in the west … but this seems unlikely, for the Forts predate the Freehold’s rise, and there is no record of any dragonlords ever coming so far east.

Thus the Five Forts must remain a mystery. They still stand today, unmarked by time, guarding the marches of the Golden Empire against raiders out of the Grey Waste

To me...the Five Forts are similar to The Wall in that they protected a region from another region...but their purpose has been forgotten...just like the actual purpose of The Wall was lost...or explained for Other reasons.

Don't have my book with me, but wasn't the material used by the mazemakers of lorath also this black-oily-stone?

Archmaester Quillion suggested that the Oldtown fortress might have been made by the mazemakers.

Here is a quote about Lorath & the Mazemakers from the Lorath chapter.

Sprawling constructs of bewildering complexity, made from blocks of hewn stone, the mazemakers’ constructions are scattered across the isles—and one, badly overgrown and sunk deep into the earth, has been found on Essos proper, on the peninsula south of Lorath. Lorassyon, the second largest of the Lorath isles, is home to a vast maze that fills more than three-quarters of the surface area of the island and includes four levels beneath the ground, with some passages descending five hundred feet.

Scholars still debate the purpose of these mazes. Were they fortifications, temples, towns? Or did they serve some other, stranger purpose? The mazemakers left no written records, so we shall never know. Their bones tell us that they were massively built and larger than men, though not so large as giants. Some have suggested that mayhaps the mazemakers were born of interbreeding between human men and giant women. We do not known why they disappeared, though Lorathi legend suggests they were destroyed by an enemy from the sea: merlings in some versions of the tale, selkies and walrus-men in others.

• 3 months later...

:agree: It's not that I hate the idea of aliens, but, come on! With all the other crap on Planetos adding an exterrestial angle is just ridiculous. However, if dragons really did spawn from a moon breaking apart when it got too close to the sun, well, then, that's just fantasy. Seriously, though. All the Lovecraftian tips o'the hat are nice and the black stone info in the World Book is great, but ancient aliens? Not. Even. Likely.

Since we are reasonably sure that dragons were the result of magical interbreeding between Firewyrms and Wyverns, I suspect the supposed second moon was instead some artifact of the magic that was used to accomplish this feat. A massive, spherical incubation chamber that floated into the sky above Ashaii, before bursting and spilling forth thousands of dragons perhaps?

And the resultant fallout scarred Ashaii and its surroundings with its permanent shadowy and lifeless appearance?

Since we are reasonably sure that dragons were the result of magical interbreeding between Firewyrms and Wyverns, I suspect the supposed second moon was instead some artifact of the magic that was used to accomplish this feat. A massive, spherical incubation chamber that floated into the sky above Ashaii, before bursting and spilling forth thousands of dragons perhaps?

And the resultant fallout scarred Ashaii and its surroundings with its permanent shadowy and lifeless appearance?

I see no reason why this couldn't just have been selective breeding with no magic involved, they are both reptiles after all.

Well, let´s push this crackpot theory a lil further.

What if Sothoryos was the original seat of these aliens, being maybe Yeen their main city. They performed horrid experiments with local flora and fauna there, colonized key points in Planetos (Naath might have been a human experimentation center, they live in an hazardous enviroment forhumans but maybe not for aliens) and ultimately died in a Valyria´s doom kind of cataclysm.

Or maybe they left for Azeroth.

Holy crap this is actually a good theory.

My personal theory is that the old dragon bones found all over Planetos are just dinosaur bones. In ancient cultures it was common for people to belive dinosaur bones were dragon so it could have happened here. While it may be more difficult for Planetosi because they've actually seen Dragons bones it's still possible if dragons are descended from Planetos's version of dinosaurs

...or the Valyrians could have simply locked a Wyrm and a Wyvern together in a room with some romantic music playing and let nature take it's course.

Well, let´s push this crackpot theory a lil further.

What if Sothoryos was the original seat of these aliens, being maybe Yeen their main city. They performed horrid experiments with local flora and fauna there, colonized key points in Planetos (Naath might have been a human experimentation center, they live in an hazardous enviroment forhumans but maybe not for aliens) and ultimately died in a Valyria´s doom kind of cataclysm.

Or maybe they left for Azeroth.

This isnt crazy. Sothoryos reeks of human animal hybrids, and we are told they did exactly that at Gorgai (Gorgossos), and of course, lots of black stone around.

Archived