There are no other dragons on Planetos besides Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal

Suzanna Stormborn

The characters have said magic is gone from the world, like Mel and thoros, that's what I meant, same thing as the pyromancers, all-of a sudden their magic is stronger since GOT. Plus the WW's have started coming back in force after a long time, fire and ice magic has been steadily getting stronger.

I guess that does not include wargs and greenseers, as we know that they have all had their power the entire time.

Bloodraven did the same kind of glamor Mel did 90 years ago. I guess the FM never failed to work their magic too.

Dragons have disappeared from Westeros and those parts of Essos that we've encountered in the main series. After reading TWOIAF, I doubt if they've disappeared from the entire world.

So you really think this paragraph is a lie (the last words in GOT)? That some dragon has been hibernating for 150+ years? when we know that Balerion died of old age at 206 years old....Those must be some starved, bored dragons.

I'm sorry but that sounds way more like a LOTR dragon than ASOIAF dragon.

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

So you really think this is a lie?

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

Certainly the "hundreds of years" is incorrect. :)

For the record, I believe that if George wanted to introduce other dragons into the story at the parts of Planetos that interest us, he would have been giving proofs/clues of their presence for a long time.

So you really think this is a lie?

That is Dany's POV, as told before.

Exactly, fanfic.

Why would GRRM want to backtrack across everything he had previously established? Dragons have been extinct, magic has been gone from the world. Confirmed by Mel and Thoros as well.

I see no reason to erase everything we know about dragons and magic up til the end of book 5....What would be the point?

Magic was at a low ebb in Westeros, prior to the hatching of the dragons. Perhaps in Western Essos too. But, it was still going strong further East.

For the record, I believe that if George wanted to introduce other dragons into the story at the parts of Planetos that interest us, he would have been giving proofs/clues of their presence for a long time.

That is Dany's POV, as told before.

So you disagree that a few times he jumps from the character POV to an omnipotent POV?

So you really think this paragraph is a lie (the last words in GOT)? That some dragon has been hibernating for 150+ years? when we know that Balerion died of old age at 206 years old....Those must be some starved, bored dragons.

I'm sorry but that sounds way more like a LOTR dragon than ASOIAF dragon.

Dragons live on the river Ash

"Hundreds" is at least two-hundred. Generally, one would say 'a century and a half' or '150 years' if that was the interval. :)

No it's not. Hundreds = anything over 100

hun·dred

n. pl. hundred or hun·dreds

1. The cardinal number equal to 10 × 10 or 102.

2. The number in the third position left of the decimal point in an Arabic numeral.

3. A one-hundred-dollar bill.

4. hundreds The numbers between 100 and 999: an attendance figure estimated in the hundreds.

5. An administrative division of some counties in England and the United States.

Plus, as far as beautiful sentence structure goes for the last paragraph of the book. I dont think, "For the first time in a century and half, the night came alive with dragons." Sounds as good,.

"Hundreds" might have just been a word choice for a final sentence of a book.

Also this...

hun·dred

2. The number in the third position left of the decimal point in an Arabic numeral.

4. hundreds The numbers between 100 and 999: an attendance figure estimated in the hundreds.

5. An administrative division of some counties in England and the United States.

Plus as far as beautiful sentence structure goes for the last paragraph of the book. I dont think, "For the first time in a century and half, the night came alive with dragons." Sounds as good,.

I think posters WANT there to be another dragon so that Dany will not be special in that respect. But they all quickly forget that dragons have been extinct for 150 years. Same thing with the direwolves, not that they were extinct but they have been absent for years. Magic has been gone from Planteos for decades, and now it's back. This is a major theme in the books, no way it will just be cast aside,

Your argument doesn't even make sense. You argue that there are only Dany's dragons because magic has been gone and the dragons were extinct, then follow that up with oh and now magic is back. The fact that magic is back means the possibilities are pretty much endless. There could have been a dragon that was hibernating until now that needed magic to awaken.

What if the dragon egg Euron threw in the water hatched as a Sea Dragon and showed up at Hardhomme?

Your argument doesn't even make sense. You argue that there are only Dany's dragons because magic has been gone and the dragons were extinct, then follow that up with oh and now magic is back. The fact that magic is back means the possibilities are pretty much endless. There could have been a dragon that was hibernating until now that needed magic to awaken.

What if the dragon egg Euron threw in the water hatched as a Sea Dragon and showed up at Hardhomme?

No you misunderstood. I am saying that magic has been gone from the world, probably as long as the dragons have been extinct. When the story picks up at the beginning of GOT is when the magic has already started coming back. Hence the Jory statement in the OP.

Now that magic is back, Dany's hatching was able to work, where Egg's hatching at Summerhall did not work(as it was during the magic-less 150 year period). The pyromancers and the red priests all agree that magic is back and strong now, especially since the Red Star.

If the egg Euron threw in the water hatches then that will not be a dragon who has been alive the whole time, so it is not part of this conversation. That is what I am arguing, that there has been no dragon 'Alive and hibernating for the past 150 years'. I am quite certain there will be more dragons forthcoming from Dany's three.

If other dragons exist it complete ruins Dany's whole story arc. Why would GRRM write a miracle into the last pages of the first book only to have it cheapened by a hibernating dragon or one just kicking around Westeros unnoticed.

Yes exactly. So far, no one has a good reason to throw over everything we have learned about magic and dragons thus far.

hun·dred

Plus, as far as beautiful sentence structure goes for the last paragraph of the book. I dont think, "For the first time in a century and half, the night came alive with dragons." Sounds as good,.

Well, I stand corrected. but it is still Danaerys' point of view. :)

Archived