There are no other dragons on Planetos besides Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal

Suzanna Stormborn

She's might be absorbing the life and cold to keep herself alive. Cold from winterfell (making it feel 'warmer,' and life from their weirwood, as it's blatantly decaying and rotting as opposed to all the other thriving weirwoods everywhere else)

There must always be a stark in winterfell. why?

well, stark's having nothing to do with dragons. and it's possible the lord commander was a stark (old nan was SURE of it), which has more of a chance tying in to all that than a dragon does.

No, I am not kidding. It is dismaying to to have to explain the most basic facts of life, such the effects of glare.

A torch (or other flame) is useful for illuminating the immediate area, such as the path in front of you. At a certain distance from the flames it becomes useless or less than useless. Even if you hold a burning torch above your head and avoid looking directly at the flames, the trees and vegetation directly in front of you, brightly illuminated by the torch, will prevent your eyes from adjusting to darkness, and inhibit your ability to see at a distance by any available ambient light (such as starlight). Of course, a torch is extremely useful if you want to avoid stepping in quicksand or falling into holes in the ground or other such tragedies. But for spotting wildlife it is not particularly useful, and indeed it is counterproductive.

A giant fire, such as a burning castle, will only magnify this effect 10,000 fold or more.

Never mind the EXTREME circumstances here, where an unknown number of men are on ONE side of Winterfell, Summer is a an unknown distance (half-mile or a mile?) distant on the OTHER side of Winterfell, on the border of a forest, and there is a giant fire burning between them. If the fire is directly between the observers and the dragon, it will of course make it impossible to see anything. But even if indirectly between, the glare of the fire will make it nearly impossible to see much that is indirectly beyond it.

One thing I will say to this, the dragon is the source of the fire in the proposed scenario.. So saying fire makes things that are farther away from its source harder to see is irrelevant. If there was a dragon it wasn't far from the fire since the fire is coming out of it's mouth.

Bur fine, I'll grant you all of that. None of Ramsay's men could have seen the dragon.

Problem is, we have a witness who saw the thing in question, Bran. He doesn't think he saw a dragon at Winterfell. How do you explain that?

Your post #381 proves nothing.

Look, you proposed an OP that is inherently flawed. You cannot prove a negative! I am an archaeologist, and there is a maxim that we always refer to in these situations: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Period.

The onus is on you to prove your thesis statement: "There are no other dragons..."

Not on those poking holes in your theory. :)

Now the onus is on you to prove your absolutist maxim. BOOOOYAKASHA

In regards to Ramsay's/Bolton's men not seeing the dragon.....How do we know that? We never get inside the heads of those people. The person close to them, Theon, does not get information shared with him. The Bolton's may actually know of the dragon AND may actually have followed it - possibly even captured it...We don't know......

The guy with his fists coiled up, burnt crisp, does imply that he was Blasted with dragonfire, or a flamethrower with tremendous velocity, so as to kill him instantly, hence preserving the physical state in which he was in last second he was alive.

AND THERE ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE ATLEAST 1 NEW DRAGON INTRODUCED TOT HE STORY. ITS GOING TO BE A DRAGON VS DRAGON EPIC STORY IN THE LAST BOOK ATLEAST. DRAGONS DIE QUICKLY IN COMBAT.

THE STORY WILL HUNGER FOR MORE MEAT. DRAGONS ARE STORY MEAT.

AND THE OTHERS....

YOU THINK ITS GOING TO JUST BE WHOEVER WINS THE THRONE AND HAS A DRAGON WILL FLY NORTH AND JUST ROAST ALL THE WIGHTS???

THE OTHERS HAVE TO HAVE AN ACE UP THEIR SLEEVE. A DRAGON OF THEIR OWN.

A WIGHT DRAGON, A DRAGON OF THE UNDEAD, AN ICE DRAGON

Kinda think it's a bit presumptuous to assume so. We havent covered all areas and never will. I dont see a surprise character showing up waving a lasso while riding one screaming "yee haw motherfuckers!," but i wouldnt discount it completely. Eggs supposedly came from The Shadowlands, and if Danaerys decides to follow Quaithe's direction and go that way, and go SO south east she eventually comes up north west on the planetos map (land of always winter/the wall), she WILL have to pass asshai and where the eggs came from to get there. Thats of course if things go south for her and victarian, because i personally feel his iron fleet is the perfect means for her and her army to get to westeros.

Globes don't wrap around north to south like they do east to west. You can't really get to north by going south, if she heads southeast she will eventually reach the south pole of Planetos.

One thing I will say to this, the dragon is the source of the fire in the proposed scenario.. So saying fire makes things that are farther away from its source harder to see is irrelevant. If there was a dragon it wasn't far from the fire since the fire is coming out of it's mouth.

Bur fine, I'll grant you all of that. None of Ramsay's men could have seen the dragon.

Problem is, we have a witness who saw the thing in question, Bran. He doesn't think he saw a dragon at Winterfell. How do you explain that?

Here's what I think happened. Ramsay started to torch Winterfell. While Winterfell was burning, a dragon (not an ice dragon) came up and burned some of Bolton's men. Maybe because it was underground a while it couldn't fly at first, and tried to escape through the portcullis and breathed fire on it to melt it when it realized it couldn't fit through. Then eventually it managed to fly up above the walls, where Summer saw it flying up through the smoke. It then disappeared into the smoke. I'm not sure it flew away, if the hypothesis that it can't fly well because it's been underground is true then maybe it just flew a short distance over and past the walls of Winterfell, then disappeared into the woods.

This way you can have a fire billowing lots of smoke that is not coming directly from the dragon.

I never considered the idea that the Boltons might have caught the dragon, that would explain a lot.

Archived