MLB Offseason : Awards Abound

kairparavel

It does seem like a brilliant move on the Marlins part - they get to keep their one star and not turn away whatever fans they have left, they get use of Stanton during his best years, and then trade him to a desperate team for the bulk of the dollars - and the downturn years.

As the resident White Sox fan, I thought I should mention the Ramirez trade rumors - I'm torn on them. He's a gold-glove caliber player, a silver slugger, and still sometimes an absolute space cadet. But I don't think we have anyone else lined up that would be half the player, so I'm sure that Hahn would only pull the trigger for premium talent.

Also, the signing of Zach Duke looks good for the team's needs - but he's only had one good year, and is getting paid based on that and not historical numbers. Still, they need to take a gamble on some bullpen help, so hopefully it works out.

Also also, I heard that Sandoval is visiting the Red Sox today, but will be on his way to see the White Sox as well? With the dearth of good third-basemen - especially on the Sox in recent years - that'd make me cry sweet, panda-tears.

Also also also, Jose Abreu! <3

As the resident White Sox fan, I thought I should mention the Ramirez trade rumors - I'm torn on them. He's a gold-glove caliber player, a silver slugger, and still sometimes an absolute space cadet. But I don't think we have anyone else lined up that would be half the player, so I'm sure that Hahn would only pull the trigger for premium talent.

They'll get Ethier or Crawford in return.

You Jest, because that's what it feels like all ex-team-members do as soon as they leave (after stinking it up in your favorite uniform) but honestly, Ethier can still play. The Dodgers just have no room for him in their outfield anymore.

20+ HRs as an everyday player for whoever he plays for next year would not completely surprise me.

Sounds like Hanley Ramirez will be finalizing a deal with Boston tomorrow. Not sure what to make of that as a Dodger fan. He has difference-maker ability, but it's hard to rely on him given how often he's hurt.

It's a Yankees-esque deal, and together with the reported offer to Sandoval signals that the Sawx are going all-in. And why not, because that's worked so well in recent years for other teams.

As for Hanley in particular, I'm betting the Dodgers get the better end of this. You don't want to be saddled with a big contract to an injury prone former superstar for the next 5 years.

Sounds like Hanley Ramirez will be finalizing a deal with Boston tomorrow. Not sure what to make of that as a Dodger fan. He has difference-maker ability, but it's hard to rely on him given how often he's hurt.

As a Red Sox fan, I don't like it. Feels like some lower-rent version of the Carl Crawford signing. Seems like they're squeezing out promising young prospects for an overcrowded position player lineup. I'll be especially pissed if this means they're not getting Lester back.

Hanley can go. He did a lot of good for us, but it is time to let him leave. Too expensive and too inured.

Let the redsox overpay for him.

This is exactly how most of us feel about it. Hanley's great when he's on the field, but he's too risky for the money he costs. I am a little surprised however that Panda's getting a bigger deal than HanRam.

In other news, the M's have extended Kyle Seager for 7yrs/$100 million. I'm liking this aggressive new approach from the Mariners. Too bad they got the wrong Seager.

As a Red Sox fan, I don't like it. Feels like some lower-rent version of the Carl Crawford signing. Seems like they're squeezing out promising young prospects for an overcrowded position player lineup. I'll be especially pissed if this means they're not getting Lester back.

Yeah, I think the whole pack your lineup with high-rent mercenaries thing has pretty much proven to be a losing strategy. Just ask the Dodgers. :cool4:

Yeah, I think the whole pack your lineup with high-rent mercenaries thing has pretty much proven to be a losing strategy. Just ask the Dodgers. :cool4:

Seriously! They just got (briefly) out of their hole by offloading all that expensive and troubled talent to LA! Apparently they missed the drama of having overpaid underperformers on the roster... Didn't get enough of that with AJ Pierzynski I guess.

This is exactly how most of us feel about it. Hanley's great when he's on the field, but he's too risky for the money he costs. I am a little surprised however that Panda's getting a bigger deal than HanRam.

In other news, the M's have extended Kyle Seager for 7yrs/$100 million. I'm liking this aggressive new approach from the Mariners. Too bad they got the wrong Seager.

There is no such thing as a wrong Seager, all Seagers are equally Seager.

I love the extension, there is such a ridiculous amount of value to it (in the current market, 1 win above replacement is worth about 7 million dollars, they are paying him to be a 2 WAR player when he seems to be at least a 5 WAR player) and I think that he will pretty surpass his contract value by a good margin. I think that we haven't even seen Seager at his best, as he is just now entering his prime.

Archived