MLB Offseason : Awards Abound

kairparavel

There is no such thing as a wrong Seager, all Seagers are equally Seager.

I love the extension, there is such a ridiculous amount of value to it (in the current market, 1 win above replacement is worth about 7 million dollars, they are paying him to be a 2 WAR player when he seems to be at least a 5 WAR player) and I think that he will pretty surpass his contract value by a good margin. I think that we haven't even seen Seager at his best, as he is just now entering his prime.

All Seagers are good, though not all Seagers are equal. You just wait till the Dodgers reveal their Seager!

Is there a limit on how many can be voted into the hall each year?

BBWAA members can vote for a maximum of 10 eligible candidates. They virtually always vote for less and can vote for as few as 0 if they feel like being an attention mongering manbaby making a principled point.

75% of the vote is, of course, required for a candidate to be enshrined.

So, whatever mathematical limit that puts on getting in [don't ask me to figure it out; Humanities Major over here].

So yes, in years like this where (in my opinion) more than 10 of the eligible players deserve to go in [due to a backlog of old candidates mingling with the this year's first-timers] a HOF vote holder could end up not voting for someone he otherwise deems worthy because he's simply not allowed to go up to 11.

Also any candidate who gets a vote from less than 5% is ELIMINATED (until/unless the veteran's committee takes another look years later and realizes the BBWAA were idiots and they should've gone in, after all).

[ :frown5: Will Clark got eliminated in his first year of eligibilty :frown5: ]

I believe the list of candidates this time around are:

NEW

Randy Johnson

Pedro Martinez

John Smoltz

Carlos Delgado

Gary Sheffield

Nomar Garciaparra

Troy Percival

Rich Aurilia

Aaron Boone

Tony Clark

Jermaine Dye

Darin Erstad

Cliff Floyd

Brian Giles

Tom Gordon

Eddie Guardado

Jason Schmidt

RETURNERS (2014 vote %)

Craig Biggio (74.8%)

Mike Piazza (62.2%)

Jeff Bagwell (54.3%)

Tim Raines (46.1%)

Roger Clemens (35.4%)

Barry Bonds (34.7%)

Lee Smith (29.9%)

Curt Schilling (29.2%)

Edgar Martinez (25.2%)

Alan Trammell (20.8%)

Mike Mussina (20.3%)

Jeff Kent (15.2%)

Fred McGriff (11.7%)

Mark McGwire (11.0%)

Larry Walker (10.2%)

Don Mattingly (8.2%)

Sammy Sosa (7.2%)

So yes, in years like this where (in my opinion) more than 10 of the eligible players deserve to go in [due to a backlog of old candidates mingling with the this year's first-timers] a HOF vote holder could end up not voting for someone he otherwise deems worthy because he's simply not allowed to go up to 11.

Thanks. I thought ten was the number, but then became unsure. Sucks for folks like Larry Walker and Don Mattingly and Edgar Martinez when up against many of those first timers.

"That's not accurate at all" - Mercenary St Chef

I thought you meant how many Seagers can be voted into the HoF each year. The answer to that is one per decade. Which means Kyle is probably shit out of luck.

I thought you meant how many Seagers can be voted into the HoF each year. The answer to that is one per decade. Which means Kyle is probably shit out of luck.

please refrain from lying to my wife. she has been so tolerant of the honesty of our 'arrangement.' it is best we keep that up.

Well, Mattingly can still improve his hall of fame resume since he's a manager now. Say the Dodgers *shudder* win a world series or two *twitch*, he's extremely likely to get in at some point.

Oh, I forgot to add: you also get eliminated from the pool of eligible candidates after you're on it for 15 years (starting, of course, 5 years after your retirement as a player), at which point they are at the mercy of the Veteran's Committee. That's why there was a bit of a hubbub over guys like Jim Rice and Bert Blyleven "running out of time" and getting in on their last chance.

Oh! Except last year they suddenly decided to change it to only 10 for "Um, Reasons."

["Reasons" basically being "get Bonds and Clemens off the ballot before younger sportswriters have a chance to replace the current old BBWAA fogies and vote them in. That will make our penises seem less tiny ER I MEAN THAT WILL PRESERVE THE SANCTITY OF THE HALL."]

All Seagers are good, though not all Seagers are equal. You just wait till the Dodgers reveal their Seager!

I can't bare to think about Corey Seager flaming out simply because I'm rooting for all Seagers, but lets not start counting our Seagers before they hatch. He could turn out like any number of prospects who tear up the minors then flame out when they reach the bigs, god knows I've seen my fair share as a Mariners fan.

It really drives me nuts that Edgar still isn't in the HoF. The dude accrued 68.3 WAR mostly at DH, which takes a massive hit in terms of positional adjustment. Not only that but Edgar is considered the gold standard of the designated hitter position, and if you're going to have a position, you should recognized the best person to ever play it.

I can't bare to think about Corey Seager flaming out simply because I'm rooting for all Seagers, but lets not start counting our Seagers before they hatch. He could turn out like any number of prospects who tear up the minors then flame out when they reach the bigs, god knows I've seen my fair share as a Mariners fan.

It really drives me nuts that Edgar still isn't in the HoF. The dude accrued 68.3 WAR mostly at DH, which takes a massive hit in terms of positional adjustment. Not only that but Edgar is considered the gold standard of the designated hitter position, and if you're going to have a position, you should recognized the best person to ever play it.

Yeah, but look at how long it took the BBWAA to get over themselves and start recognizing relief pitchers. The current crop will never pull their head out of their ass about steroids.

Who knows how long it will take for them to catch up to the civilized world.

Good news though: apples and oranges as it may be, the NFL Hall Of Fame folks finally woke up and put Ray Guy [a Punter... nay, THE Punter] in. We can always hope the Veteran's Committee does right by Edgar.

Dude only played half the game.

The Pablo addition is nice, but id rather get Lester back than have Rameriez.

Considering how much baseball revenue has increased in recent years, and is continuing to increase, I think we all still need to fully adjust to what an average contract looks like going forward. If the Red Sox want Lester, I think they can still offer him a highly competitive contract even after these two signings. And they have to be planning on getting some starting pitching somewhere, what they have right now just doesn't cut it at all.

Yeah, but look at how long it took the BBWAA to get over themselves and start recognizing relief pitchers. The current crop will never pull their head out of their ass about steroids.

Who knows how long it will take for them to catch up to the civilized world.

Good news though: apples and oranges as it may be, the NFL Hall Of Fame folks finally woke up and put Ray Guy [a Punter... nay, THE Punter] in. We can always hope the Veteran's Committee does right by Edgar.

I agree that the Hall of Fame Voters were behind the times in terms of recognizing relief pitchers, but I'm not sure that I would equate that to a similar stance regarding the steroid era. Employing a relief pitcher was legal and in the spirit of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the main players in the steroid era should get in. I suppose it might be hard to compile an objective list, but as far as the obvious ones go, screw 'em.

Considering how much baseball revenue has increased in recent years, and is continuing to increase, I think we all still need to fully adjust to what an average contract looks like going forward. If the Red Sox want Lester, I think they can still offer him a highly competitive contract even after these two signings. And they have to be planning on getting some starting pitching somewhere, what they have right now just doesn't cut it at all.

True, im just not sure how agressive theyre going to be at this point. But the more i hear, it seems that they are far from done this offseason. We have surplus of outfielders, Middlebrooks will probabaly be gone and ive heard talk about a possible trade concerning Cole Hamels.

And to any known steroid users on the ballot, I say screw them just like Manhole said!

Word is the Cubs offered Lester something in the neighborhood of 6 years for $130-140 million. Fucking should have just re-signed Lester in the spring, fucking toolbags. Red Sox management started to believe their own press after everything broke right for them in 2013.

I agree that the Hall of Fame Voters were behind the times in terms of recognizing releief pitchers, but I'm not sure that I would equate that to a similar stance regarding the steroid era. Employing a relief pitcher was legal and in the spirit of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the main players in the steroid era should get in. I suppose it might be hard to compile an objective list, but as far as the obvious ones go, screw 'em.

The problem is they're going to "make a stance" by keeping the so called "steroid players" out, but they will do no such thing and in fact raise nary a peep when the team owners who turned a blind eye to steroids and profited from their wide use start going in as "contributors to the game."

To say nothing of Mr. Steroid himself, Bud Selig, who's going in the second he's eligible.

So it's not a principled stance at all. It's transparent hypocritical posturing by the sportswriters with BBWAA votes, trying to advance their own personal brand names (generate clicks on their personal websites, etc.).

Also as David Ortiz shows, it's okay for a player to do steroids and have them make you better if you have a good relationship with the media. (Or if you cry your way through and apology and prostrate yourself before the media as you beg for forgiveness/"submit to their authority") You're only a badguy for doing steroids if you're already thought of as a jerk (Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod). He'll get voted in. You Watch. Principled stand My Ass.

Archived