Was Daeron II really the Dragonknight's son?

Ocelot

They did not claim that he was a bastard because he was bookish and not warrior-like. (Even if people inherited their interests from their fathers, Daeron's would point neither here nor there, since Aegon was not bookish either.) They claimed that he was a bastard, to justify Daemon's claim to the throne. They also claimed that Aegon wanted Daemon to be the heir and that this is why he gave him Blackfyre. At the same time, many people - like Ser Eustace, he of the giant man-crush on Daemon - supported Daemon because he was a badass warrior, and didn't like Daeron because he was bookish, not a warrior, and listened to the counsel of Dornishmen, women and maesters. But those are two completely separate things.

yea true enough ... Conflated the 2 I guess

I thought TWOIAF all but confirmed that the rumor of Naerys and Aemon having an affair is simply that, a rumor. The fact that Aegon never questioned Daeron's paternity until Aemon was dead, when he could have easily disinherited Daeron if he had even slightest proof that Naerys and Aemon were having an affair. Besides, from what we saw of Aemon, I just can't see him risking the life of his frail sister by sleeping with her and getting her pregnant.

Besides, from what we saw of Aemon, I just can't see him risking the life of his frail sister by sleeping with her and getting her pregnant.

While I don't believe that Aemon was Daeron's father, I don't think this specific logic necessarily applies. It makes Aemon being the father of Daenerys prohibitively unlikely, but we don't have any indication that, prior to Naerys' first pregnancy, that pregnancy was considered exceptionally risk for her (even if she was always frail). Per TWOIAF, it was after the birth of Daeron and her being advised that more children would be dangerous on the basis of that pregancy that she requested an end to marital relations.

We will never know for sure since the people in question lived more than a century before the current events.

Maester Yandel definitely does not think so and until we get more information, I have to agree with him that the rumour was started by Aegon himself. He wanted to humiliate his brother and sister-wife but he didn't go as far as to disinherit his son, which he would if he thought that he wasn't his. I got the impression that Aemon and Naerys loved each other like siblings and friends (similar to Margaery/Loras, Arya/Jon, Lyanna and her brothers) without any romantic or sexual feelings.

Archived