R+L=J v.114

Jon Weirgaryen

Lots of interesting opinions about the subject (emotional repercussion for Jon). My two cents are that things like family, love and identity always matter, no matter how many wars you've seen, or how many people you've lost.

The fact that Jon has already gone through personal loss doesn't mean he's imune to internal conflict, because these things add to one another. He lost Ned, and soon he will find out he wasn't his biological father, and the grief will come again, because Jon will probably want to talk to him, ask so many questions, but it will be impossible. If I were in his place, I would at least want to ask him if he ever saw me as his son (daughter, in my case), if raising me had been a burden, etc.

Who said anything about forsaking?

To summarize my position:

• Lyanna = more important for emotional development;
  • Rhaegar = more important for blood and politics.

Knowledge is undesired and unwanted -- and, yes Jon isn't even aware there's a question to ask -- Jon might perceive it more as a burden than anything else. It might complicate his situation; he might not even know what to do with it. Accepting Lyanna as his mother would come much more easily, because Jon has desired that knowledge and longed for it -- it also, as The Snowfyre Chorus stated, would confirm his identity as a Stark...

Though, I'd say that having his identity as a Stark confirmed, does not mean that Jon cannot, and will not play the Targaryen card as well. It's not so much about forsaking one side over the other -- it's about how Jon sees himself and how he wants others to perceive him. The Stark identity is personal, private and intimate. The Targaryen identity I see as a political one, a superficial, public persona.

I think it's a good point. It's very unlikely Jon will feel the same connection to the Targaryens that he feels with the Starks, so maybe he will embrace his new identity or political purposes at first. It will have some emotional repercussion, because he might think he was born out of rape, because it will be confusing to learn this stranger was your father, and because Jon knew at least one Targaryen, and will likely meet another. But he's much more likely to make peace with the fact that Lyanna was his mother than Rhaegar being his father

Lots of interesting opinions about the subject (emotional repercussion for Jon). My two cents are that things like family, love and identity always matter, no matter how many wars you've seen, or how many people you've lost.

The fact that Jon has already gone through personal loss doesn't mean he's imune to internal conflict, because these things add to one another. He lost Ned, and soon he will find out he wasn't his biological father, and the grief will come again, because Jon will probably want to talk to him, ask so many questions, but it will be impossible. If I were in his place, I would at least want to ask him if he ever saw me as his son (daughter, in my case), if raising me had been a burden, etc.

I think it's a good point. It's very unlikely Jon will feel the same connection to the Targaryens that he feels with the Starks, so maybe he will embrace his new identity or political purposes at first. It will have some emotional repercussion, because he might think he was born out of rape, because it will be confusing to learn this stranger was your father, and because Jon knew at least one Targaryen, and will likely meet another. But he's much more likely to make peace with the fact that Lyanna was his mother than Rhaegar being his father

Well, Maester Aemon was very important and dear to Jon, so I can see the connection there from that.

Archived