Stonemen and Temporal Shifts

Archmaester Drew

From the wiki, 'Garin's Curse':

As Tyrion Lannister and the crew of the Shy Maid travel through the ruins of Chroyane in the Sorrows, something very peculiar happens. They sail unscathed beneath the Bridge of Dream, but despite sailing with the current of the Rhoyne and rivers only running one way, they appear to approach the Bridge of Dream again shortly afterward. If this occurs due to the lingering effects of Garin's Curse is not known. According to Yandry the Mother Rhoyne runs how she will.

...and 'Bridge of Dreams':

As the Shy Maid and her crew journey to Volantis the pole-boat passes under the Bridge of Dream. The crew are apprehensive as they can see stone men shuffling around the glowing lamps and hear a faint, high wail coming through the fog just as they are about to pass underneath. However, most of the stone men take no notice and the pole-boat passes without incident.

Once they are clear of the bridge Tyrion Lannister reveals that he knows who Young Griff really is. Tyrion also reveals his true identity to Young Griff. Just as Tyrion is puzzling out who Griff is and Varys's involvement, the crew realise that due to inexplicable circumstances the Bridge of Dream is up ahead yet again.

The pole-boat passes under the bridge again shortly afterwards. This time three stone men jump and land on the boat. The crew fights them off, but as Tyrion knocks the last one off, it grabs him and pulls him down into the Rhoyne as well.

What is going on here? Why/how does the Shy Maid pass under the bridge twice? What is the connection between the Stonemen and temporal shifts (if any)? Is there a connection between greyscale and time travel? Or is this just residual magic of the Sorrows?

Edit: Is this even a temporal shift, or did they just move back upstream somehow?

Thoughts?

:)

I thought the first pass could be like a vision, prophesy or optical illusion. The atonement don't notice them the first time so maybe the Shy Maid isn't actually there yet.

I do think it is related to the curse. You are given a glimpse of where you are about to go but you can't change course.

Maybe Garin really was the Prince of Persia from the Sands of Time. Makes sense :p

It's quite interesting that they have to pass again just as Tyrion reveals one of them has Dragonlord blood. The stone men seem especially drawn to Aegon as well.

I'm geussing it's similar to what happened in the House of the Undying. It's a cursed and unnatural place. I don't think there is a specific or scientific explanation on why the boat teleports backwards. I don't think it's a temporal shift, but a spatial one, and there is no explanation other than "the place is cursed".

I don't think we will ever get a satisfactory answer to this.

I think that GRRM wanted to create a nightmare like setting. Having the characters think they are out of trouble only to be thrown right back into the fire in a disorienting and nonsensical way is reminiscent of a terrifying nightmare for me.

Archived