What the hell did happen at Summerhall?

I do. Unless there is evidence to corroborate her story, I'm not taking Olenna Redwyne at her word. I see no reason why I should trust her.

And TWoIaF does not corroborate her version of the story.

I do. Unless there is evidence to corroborate her story, I'm not taking Olenna Redwyne at her word. I see no reason why I should trust her.

And TWoIaF does not corroborate her version of the story.

Yes TWOIAF does corroborate her, for reasons I laid out multiple times in previous posts on this thread.

Well, you have to assume a lot of presuppositions like

1. Olenna had enough influence over Daeron to end their betrothal.

2. Olenna intended to end their betrothal.

I don't share them.

No idea, but I don't think that this is the case. The Tullys, Tyrells, and Redwynes most likely caused some trouble, but it seems that Egg was able to placate them eventually. Perhaps there were even other major rebellions George did not refer to directly.

If there was some sort conspiracy going on around Summerhall my best guess would be that the mentioned dead-set enemies of Egg's among the Lords were involved, those who hated him for his reforms, not for the broken betrothals.

The text says that "there appears to have been no other woman", that Daeron never wed, and that he "preferred the companionship of Ser Jeremy Norridge", the two of them having been squires together in the past. This isn't a smoking gun as such, but it sure sounds like gay to me.

I went through that, but i didn't remember it, thanks!

No idea, but I don't think that this is the case. The Tullys, Tyrells, and Redwynes most likely caused some trouble, but it seems that Egg was able to placate them eventually. Perhaps there were even other major rebellions George did not refer to directly.

If there was some sort conspiracy going on around Summerhall my best guess would be that the mentioned dead-set enemies of Egg's among the Lords were involved, those who hated him for his reforms, not for the broken betrothals.

They might have joined Lyonel Baratheon in his rebellion even. Or defied them in other ways.

Lord Lyonel rebelled when Duncan spurned his daughter. Jaehaerys and Shaera broke their betrothals only a year later.

I admit I'm not much one for timelines, but that still provides enough time for Tyrell and Tully to join them right?

If not then I imagine Tyrells withheld food for the capital (a favoured tactic) and the Tullys did something else...

Brynden Tully and Bethany Redwyne surely play into this somewhere?

Nothing suggests that the Tyrells or Tullys joined Lord Lyonel in rebellion. The text suggests that whatever problems followed the Jaehaerys/Shaera were not connected to this thing. More importantly, Lyonel declared himself the new Storm King, effectively starting a secessionist movement. If Riverrun and Highgarden had joined him, Aegon V would have been deposed or there would have been a massive civil war like Robert's Rebellion. There is also no reason to assume that Lord Tyrell or Lord Tully would have backed down after Lord Lyonel had been defeated by Dunk in the trial-by-combat.

Both the Tullys and the Tyrells may actually have helped Egg in the fight against Lyonel as their children were still betrothed to Egg's children, and Celia Tully was about to become queen of the Seven Kingdoms (as Duncan had abdicated as Prince of Dragonstone).

Highgarden and Riverrun may have rebelled, too, but as of yet this is merely speculation. TWoIaF does not mention such rebellions, only that Egg had placate both houses/deal with the troubles they caused for him.

Archived