Why people defend the Targaryans

yankee211

If you reread my post, you will notice that I wrote "for the most part" and didn't mention nor Stormlands, nor Riverlands, nor Iron Isles. Although Stormlands was a pretty strong and stable state. Argilac asked Aegon to deal with Harren in the Riverlands, not to conquer his own home and get his line extinguished.

Chopping off the hands of Aegon's envoy wasn't the smartest move.

The question was worst person not worst king

Not really. Aegon IV was not only more of womanizer than Robert, he was truly a vile person, and arguably the worst human being to rule Westeros.

I was responding to the part in bold. Which I thought you were as well.

Maegor and Aegon IV were both bad men, but Aegon was a much worse king.

My opinion is that they practice incest to keep their blood lines pure to allow them to command their family Dragons, perhaps they did this in Valyria so that they could control their particular Dragons and their spawn throughout the generations, merging bloodlines too much may lead to making their Dragons far harder to tame as the Dragons can sense those who are of their own blood.

It is no coincidence that their words are Fire & Blood. This serves as a reminder of how to birth and control Dragons in a similar way that, 'Winter is Coming' serves as a reminder to the Starks about the perpetual looming threat of the Others.

As to their use of Dragons to win wars - so what? Why send 30,000 men when you can hop on Balerion?

The Targaryens unified Westeros. While they did so (for the most part) in a war of aggression, most of Westerosi kingdoms at the time were aggressively warring against one another (including Dorne, constantly at a kind of border war with the Reach and the Marcher Lords) and in particular in Harren's Kingdom the Targaryens were welcome. It seems that Targaryen figures like Rhaenys (Aegon I's sister) and Jaehaerys/Alysanne (and much later, Aegon V) instituted much-needed reforms that were good for the commoners, though not always liked by the lords. Though the Targaryens have caused wars (Dance of dragons, Blackfyre rebellions, Robert's rebellion) they probably stopped a lot more wars and stimulated trade by stopping most of the inter-kingdom wars. Dany also may be a figure willing to instigate drastic reforms, that may turn out well for the commoners even if she may step on toes of great lords.

Moreover, it seems that Aegon and his sisters may have handled partly because of prophetic visions and as such their exact motives to invade Westeros proper are still unknown.

Some Targaryens also have been heroic figures, besides their share of cruel men and mad kings.

They were the best thing to happen to Westeros.

-Brought an end to the neverending inter-kingdom wars and unified the realm

-Ushered in a new era of prosperity and progress.

-Introduced a common set of laws

-Curbed the Ironborn, which had been the scourge of the continent

-Finally gave the Riverlands a modicum of self-determination

-Created the largest trade port on the continent

The Targs held their power for almost 150 years after their dragons died out.

Also, if you take a peek at the Targ family tree you'll see they married outside the family quite a bit.

As far as Robert's rebellion, how's that dynasty working out?

Robert's reign is what happens when you try to marry someone else's sister. He should have married Stannis. The Realm would be happier. :dunno:

Maybe the one person that could have made him more miserable than Cersei.

lololol. Oh I just love you guys.

Targaryen dynasty = 300 years

Baratheon dynasty = 15 years

Lannister Dynasty = 3 tops

Golden Dragon, Silver Stag

• 3 months later...

The coin landed on it's side?

Selmy is a fool.

The cheesemonger spooned up cherries. "In Volantis they use a coin with a crown on one face and a death's-head on the other. Yet it is the same coin.

It takes madness like walking into a funeral pyre to revive greatness like three dragons that will end slavery.

Obviously one absolute monarch is not ideal. But preferable to northern cannibals, old way raiders, and southron lordlings. Yes. Maegor was cruel but his actions crippled the faith. Baelor was pompous but his work paved way for Dornish annexation. Sure they're are cruel kings like Aerys, but he was a lot better then Joffrey. Davos says one king means peace

The cheesemonger spooned up cherries. "In Volantis they use a coin with a crown on one face and a death's-head on the other. Yet it is the same coin.

It takes madness like walking into a funeral pyre to revive greatness like three dragons that will end slavery.

Obviously one absolute monarch is not ideal. But preferable to northern cannibals, old way raiders, and southron lordlings. Yes. Maegor was cruel but his actions crippled the faith. Baelor was pompous but his work paved way for Dornish annexation. Sure they're are cruel kings like Aerys, but he was a lot better then Joffrey. Davos says one king means peace

Amen!

If only the Night's King had gotten a shot to rule Westeros, I am sure it would been great, lots of rainbows, sunshine and unicorns.

Or maybe Ramsey, can we get Ramsey on the throne?

Funny thing about History in our world and Martins, you always find bad rulers.

Though in the thousands of years that Westeros has been around the only person to build a main road was a Targ. You know when the First men were not slaughtering eachother or the children, they were fighting with the andals and when the Andals were not slaughtering the children and the first men they were fighting with eachother. And when the first men lost they renamed other first men Wildlings and stated fighting them.

I don't know maybe the Targaryens had to many peacful periods. Old Robb won the throne and all he ever thought about was another war and killing any Targaryens that still lived even though he had Targaryen blood.

Now when you look at the current climate and what will happen you sort of seem to need the Targaryens. Bloodraven is doing something about the Others. Jon holds the wall, Dany has the fire power. So naturally a first man stabs the secret Targ who is making peace among the men of the watch and the Wildlings.

Old Ramsey he can't stand Jon either even though they never met. Robb he was a first man so naturally first men killed him. The Lannisters are... well what can you say about the Lannisters that Cersei, Joff and Tywin have not already proven. And in Dorne they hold true to their words, we will win by not fighting, of course lucky for them they have the blood of Nymeria. But poor Oberyn couldn't take it so he had to come north and kill someone. All this killing and he does not get to play? Tsk, tsk.

Of course the lovely Tyrells are playing the game, don't want to be left out either, so they war profitering and killing Kings, or joining the wrong side. They were brilliant enough to back both Renly and Joffery. Of course now they appear set to bump uglies with the Iron Born and the the faith. Now the Iron Born there is a group you can see on a throne, Rape, murder, steal, wash rinse repeat. They just run around looking to stab, rape and steal from anything that moves.

It really is a lovely group of people. Of course Dany is running around killiing slavers and freeing slaves os fans here get confused. No, no, no, you are suppose to murder your friends, kill your alies and betray your liege lord. And then you got poor Stannis he is just riding around looking for ssome to fight. Where do I go, Where do I go? Hey we got a letter from the watch. Lets go there and kill Wildlings. Ok that was quick, ummmm I am going to fight the Others but first I need to kill some more people. Here Jon keep my wife... please keep my wife. I'll be back, I swear really, I can't wait to see her again. Dany needs to come in and explain to them how to win.

Dany: You're talking about what? You're talking about... Bitching about that battle you lost, some sonofabitch who is sitting on your throne, some queen who screwed you over and, so forth. Let's talk about something important. They all here?

Selmy: All but one.

Dany: I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important. Put, That coffee, Down, Stannis. Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I'm here from Essos. I'm here from Meereen and Volantis. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Stannis? You call yourself a Ruler you son of a bitch?

Cersei: I don't gotta sit here and listen to this shit.

Dany: You certainly don't bitch, 'cause the good news is - you're done. The bad news is - you've got, all of you've got just one week to regain your kingdom starting with tonight. Starting with tonight's meeting. Oh? Have I got your attention now? Good. "Cause we're adding a little something to this month's save the world contest. As you all know first prize is a Dragon egg. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is, you get to keep your lives. Third prize is you're dead. Get the picture? You laughing now funnyboy (Points to Mace)? You got armies. The Iron Bank paid good money for those, get them ready to fight, you can't get these armies ready to fight you can get shit ready to fight. You ARE shit. Hit the bricks, pal, and beat it 'cause you are going OUT.

Cersei: The armies are weak.

Dany: The armies are weak? Fucking armies are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business 4 years...

Stannis: What's your name?

Dany: Fuck you. That's my name. You know why, mister? You rode a horse to get here. I flew in on a dragon. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the game of thrones, you can't win battles - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to bend the fucking knee. You hear me you fucking losers? A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Conquering. Always be conquering. ALWAYS BE CONQUERING. A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You win or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision, for Christ? And Action. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you got the Others coming in. You think they are coming to get out of the snow? An Other don't walk into Westeros lest he wants it. They're sitting out there waiting to take your country. Are you gonna to let them? Are you ruler enough to stop them? What's the problem, pal?

Mance: You - You're such a hero, you're so rich, how come you're coming down here wasting your time with such a bunch of bums?

Dany: You see this Crown? You see this Crown?

Mance: Yeah.

Dany: That crown is worth more than you and you and all your Wildlings combined. The we got are asses kicked by an army 1-100th our size legendary raiders from the north my ass. I conquered 3 cities in the last 6 months. How many did you take? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna rule here - win! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get in a war? You don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the men you brought and kick Stannnis ass back to Stormsend. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. A-I-D-A. Get mad you son of a bitches, get mad. You want to know what it takes to win the game of thrones? It takes BRASS BALLS to win the game of thrones (holds a pair of brass balls between her legs). Go and do likewise ladies and gents. The Others are out there. You fight them I am with you, my dragons are with you. You don't, I got no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on that field tonight and win, WIN. It's yours. If not you're gonna be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying - a bunch of losers sittin' around in a bar. 'Oh yeah. I used to be a Monarch. It's a tough racket.' These are the new dragons. And these are the Unsullied warriors. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for winners. I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. And to answer you question, pal, why am I here? I came here because the Iron Bank asked me to. They asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your fucking asses because a loser is a loser.

So ends the line of Baratheons? Do you allow for out-of-marriage encounters to ensure the line continues? How about throwing Renly in for a threesome? Can you imagine this? Stags clashing antlers for supremacy. Winner takes all until the next clash. Would you need Mel to deliver the offspring of Robert and Stannis, with or without Renly in the mix?

The Realm would be laughing their socks off!

Lol, this is asking to become a fanfic on AO3 :p

Most people like the Targaryens because wild conflict and madness is fun. Rulers like Eddard Stark are noble and just however that can be boring.

Not true people live Ned but you don't get much of read from everything is normal and fine. Remind me who cut off his head? And who killed Joff and Renly and Balon and Robb and Mormont, not to mention the countless deaths involved in the wars for a throne. At least Robb was trying to save his dad but that got clouded as well. Of course you get a guy like Jaime who saved KL, Brie and Edmure, and tried to protect Tyrion but also tossed a child out a window.

Archived